cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Nervous

Livebetter2023
3 7 220

I gave my husband concert tickets for Christmas and the concert is tonight.   He’s so excited and I’m just… not.  And that sucks..

I’m on day 12 and have been able to avoid most situations with alcohol aside from one drink here or there.   This will be the first big test with drinking involved and I’m so nervous.  We are also doing dinner with new friends beforehand to make it worse.  

Some of the reasons I am quitting is so that I can be free from the shame and embarrassment of smoking in situations   like this.   So i can dance and sing without losing my breath.  So I can lean in close when somewhere loud (like this concert) and yell to a friend without worrying about my breath smelling like cigarettes.   Tonight is a perfect example of why I want to quit and yet I am still nervous!  But to be honest I feel better and stronger just writing this out and knowing that you all understand.  Thanks for being there

7 Comments
About the Author
I’ll be 50 this year and smoked off and on since I was a teenager. I quit for several years at a time- many times. When my kids were younger and I was smoking, I would never smoke in front of them and hid it well and I thought I controlled it well. A few years ago I was on a vacation in Italy and saw people smoking and it looked SO good. I became someone who only smoked “internationally” lol. That didn’t work very well and when some very real stressors popped up at home, I was smoking again full time. But now my kids were in college so I didn’t even have them to regulate me and was soon smoking as much as I ever have. I am quitting because I want to be free. I love to travel. I love to hike. I love to work out (but only when I am not smoking - I’ve missed it). I want to enjoy my life and I want to lose the shame. I felt so much shame about smoking and I want to and will be free.