cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

stopped smoking weed and tobacco cold turkey

kayd
0 19 2,340
Hello, i quit smoking weed and tobacco cold turkey for almost a month now and my breasts hurt and missed period bleeding gums, headaches, bloated, coughing up alot of mucus. My body feels out of wack. How long does it last? These weird withdrawal symptoms?.. I don't want to give up.
19 Comments
YoungAtHeart

Sounds to me like hormones out of whack along with your body adjusting to life without the drugs.

You might check with your doctor about the hormones - but hang in there with the other stuff.  Get lots of rest; drink lots of water, understand that you will start to feel better and it will be wonderful to be free of this addiction.  There is a price to be paid - but I promise you it will be worth the uncomfortable part!

Nancy

JonesCarpeDiem

Give it another week and see how you feel. . This is the physical time and for most it's over at a month.

smoking isn't going to help in any case.

kayd
Thank you guys so much. I really appreciate your comments and support
Daniela2016

Hi Kay, 

I would check with the doctor, you might have quit drugs at the right time! There might be other health issues, or even normal, physiological changes, not related to the smoking.

But  you've quit for one month, you are way onto the recovery path, keep the good work, congratulations!

kayd
Thank you. Smoking marijuana isn't like i was doing hard core drugs. So i would appreciate if you didn't use the word drugs. It's actually used in the medical field. Other drugs are not used for medicinal uses. If they are, that's still besides the point I'm making. Thank you. I'm sure you weren't meaning to sound rude. Daniela
Giulia

If you are perimenopausal a missed period is par for the course.  Could you be pregnant?  Not knowing your age it's hard to speculate on that.  Sore breasts and a missed period could be an indication of such. 

We are all different.  I had no physical negative symptoms from stopping cigarettes.  Physically things improved from the getgo.  Bleeding gums is not usually a result of quitting cigarettes.  It's a result of periodental disease caused BY smoking.  Headaches, coughing up a lot of phlegm, however ARE symptoms associated with quitting. 

The latter I would just wade through and see how it changes.  The former I would seek some further information about and have checked out.   Periodontal disease, left unchecked, will cause tooth loss.  I know from experience. 

Your body WILL feel out of wack when you quit.  But moreso your mind will feel out of wack.  You'll feel out of norm.  And we ARE out of normal when we quit.  We have to discover our new normal.  Our new life without a cigarette in our hands all day long.    It's the mind part that causes relapse.  You've quit for a month already.  That's just FABULOUS! 

You don't want to give up?  Then don't.  It's a choice, don't you see?  You've either made the choice, deep down, or you keep wishing the choice were not there.  Accept the choice and you accept your life without a cigarette.  Hope that there is still some way that you can allow smoking in your life and - you'll return to another Day One over and over again.  You've made your choice.  You've fought for it for a month.  You've joined this site.  Keep clinging to choice to not smoke.  You will eventually find peace in that choice.

Daniela2016

Kay, I am sorry, I did not mean to insult you, my apologies.

Giulia

I was formulating my response and posted it before I saw yours, Kay.  In defense of Daniela - smoking is an addiction and here we think of nicotine as a drug.  It alters our brains because it changes certain brain receptors.  So does marijuana.  It too is a drug.  You can define it as a softcore drug vs a hardcore drug, but it's a drug nonetheless.  It alters our brains.  Whether it has medicinal properties or not is not the discussion here. 

I smoked weed too.  I don't have a problem with it.  What I DO have a problem with is a defensive attitude.  And if you walk into your quit with a defensive attitude, I think it won't serve you well.  Because it allows for excuses.  And excuses breed failure in this endeavor. 

I understand as a weed smoker you don't want to be aligned with a crackhead or a heroin addict.    But do at least recognize that marijuana IS a drug and it DOES alter your brain.  Just like nicotine alters our brain receptors.  I'm on your team.  We all are.  Keep a very open mind.  You'll need it through this quitting process.  Take what works.  Leave what doesn't.  But at least THINK about the "what doesn't."  Because it's the differing opinions here that give you the best education. 

kayd
Good morning everyone. Thank You all for your comments and gestures. Giulia, i understand marijuana is a drug. Not trying to sound defensive. Just didn't like the choice of word(s) about it. And yes i am young. I started smoking at 17. I will be 31 this fall. I smoked more of black n mild wines. When i met my husband i was only smoking marijuana. He introduced the tobacco. Not blaming him. I could have chosen not to. I had alot going on in my life when i met him. I had just gotten out of a abusive relationship. I also have PCOS And Fibrocystic breasts. Which are both things that i shouldn't have been smoking. Now i am paying the consequences for being ignorant and hardheaded. There was many times i tried to quit before. It wasn't easy. For instance, i have quit but my husband has not. He promises over and over again. All i do is pray and be patient with him. Since I've quit and my body has been all out of wack, we have more arguments.
JonesCarpeDiem

Just an aside. one black amd mild delivers the same amount of nicotine as a whole pack of cigarettes and it's absorbed by the lining of your mouth whether you inhale or not. 🙂

kayd
Thank you Dale. When the time is right i will let him know. Right now isn't the right time to talk to him unfortunately. This is why i am glad to be here and be apart of this community, bc i have no one else to talk to that's close to me.
JonesCarpeDiem

There's no pressure to quit on my page. Just an explanation of the process and what to expect

JACKIE1-25-15

Congratulations on being smoke-free for almost a month.  Welcome to EX.  If you listen to the advice of the elders (those with 1 yr or more quit and do the work you will continue to be smoke-free.  You can come here and blog, read blogs or ask questions.   As you can see you will get an answer.  It may not be what your addictive brain wants to hear but it will be the truth.  Continue to protect your quit it is your own no one elses.  We are here to support you. One day at a time. 

Giulia

30 is such a great age to quit smoking!  All us oldbies wish we had wised up back then.  Sorry about your PCOS (had to look it up).  Does not sound like fun.  Nor do Fibrocystic breasts.  Hopefully once your body adjusts to the new smoke-free you, your symptoms will lessen.

Quitting when your spouse or partner doesn't, can be tough.  But thousands and thousands have managed it.   And they will either come to it themselves - or not.  The more my husband "suggested" I quit, the angrier and angrier I got and sometimes I would just smoke to spite him!  And when we're addicted, promises are a dime a dozen.  The best thing you can do, in my opinion, is simply set an example. 

elvan

Congratulations on your quit, a month is EXcellent.  I agree with Giulia on not pressuring your husband, I got so angry with people who tried to get me to quit, it never did any good.  I quit for me and it has been over two years now.  I have absolutely no issue with marijuana but I sure wouldn't smoke it now because it would absolutely lead me into wanting a cigarette.  I would not have an issue using it for pain control but it's not legal where I live and the thought of being arrested for possession at age 66 is pretty creepy, to say the least.

I have fibrocystic breasts and have had them for many years, they get much worse with caffeine intake and when I smoked, I drank Diet Coke like it was going to be unavailable soon.  NOW, I am really sensitive to caffeine and I very, very rarely drink a Diet Coke and only have one cup of coffee a day (used to drink a pot every morning). I think your body is trying to adjust to the nicotine not being there to alter whatever it altered...a lot of people complain of constipation and gas...diet and exercise help with every part of getting away from nicotine.

I congratulate you and wish to God that I had quit when I was 30...that was more than a lifetime ago for me.  We are here, please lean on us when you need to and understand that no one here is being critical.  We want to HELP, that is how this works.

Best,

Ellen

kayd
Thank You all so much!! So i said before i rule out pregnancy i better take a test. As stubborn as i sounded. I don't know it all.. Well i took a test before heading off to work bc yesterday i started feeling nauseated
Lily1210

I’m trying to quit myself I hate the fact that I keep thinking about weed I don’t want to be a slave to any more. I need my life back where I’m more healthy and eating well. Without getting lazy

Barbscloud

@kayd Welcome to the Ex.  Glad you found us.  I see your quit date was yesterday.  How did it go?

If you haven't done so already, it's not to late to learn about nicotine addiction and create a quit plan.  In addition to a quit date, some aids, and smoking cessation class, I was lucky to find the Ex a week prior to my quit.  I leaned about nicotine addiction and that I need to a plan to cope with cravings, triggers, etc.   I skipped these steps in the past and was never successful.  And having the support of fellow quitters saved my quit several times early on.

With knowledge and support, you can do this too.   We're here to share you're journey.  We've been there, so we know what it takes to be successful.   Work and commitment will get you where you want to be - an ex-smoker .  Use this time to prepare for you quit on the 1st.  

This link is a great place to start:

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Also, consider taking the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time. 

Consider posting to My Journal to introduce yourself to the community and to receive some great support from fellow quitters.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

YoungAtHeart

@Lily1210 

While a couple of us saw your response I fear most in the community may not.  To remedy that, I recommend you write a blog to introduce yourself to the community (Ex Community-top left; then center blue box-"Post a Journal/Blog").  You might include your smoking history, why you want to quit, your quit date if you have set one, and anything else about yourself you care to share.  You will reach a wider audience this way.

I look forward to seeing you there!

Nancy