cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

YAY, YAY, YAY!!! DAY 48 TODAY!!!!

lisagale58
0 5 28

I'm having one of those excited/anxious/can't go to sleep nights. Don't wanna smoke; just can't sleep.

Probably my biggest smoke trigger is MORNING COFFEE, so I quit having coffee in the morning the same day I quit smoking. I've had 3 or 4 cups total since I quit smoking but NEVER first thing in the morning. I like a cup of coffee in the afternoon or early evening now and it hasn't been a trigger at all as long as it is NOT IN THE MORNING. Is that weird???

Anyway, this evening I went out to an event from 8-9pm and I had a cup of coffee and maybe the caffeine is keeping me awake??? I've never had coffee keep me awake, even when I wanted it to, i.e., driving from south Florida up to Illinois by myself. I'd get out of the car when I was getting sleepy and drink some really strong coffee, walk around and then hit the road again. It wouldn't be even 15-20 minutes, I would start feeling the droopy eyes coming on and have to stop and get a room. I've had 2-3 cups of coffee even late evening and gone right to sleep - it has never seemed to be the stimulant that it is for most people. Now, all of a sudden, I can't sleep??? Recovering from an addiction, any addiction, is a bit stressful on the brain and the body, obviously.

Also, I noticed several years ago that the biggest "side effect" of quitting smoking was that I would start falling asleep anywhere, everywhere, in public, whatever. So smoking was much more of a stimulant than I realized. That, in itself, was one of my justifications, rationalizations, EXCUSES!!! to start up smoking again,...way back then.

The mind,...it be a terrible thang,....'n sh*t!!! 🙂

I hope all you EX's are doing well and that you all have a wonderful weekend. Sleepy or not, I'm gonna rustle up my best friend, GingerLee, and head toward the bed. G'night all!!!

5 Comments
SkyGirl

Congratulations on 48 days!  I think, as we get older, caffeine affects us differently than it did when we were younger.  It may have nothing to do with quitting.  With 48 days under your belt, you are doing great, but lots of behavioral, lifestyle, habit stuff is changing. So hang in there, Lisa!

xxxooo,   Sky

MePlus3
You are mahhhh-velous-er lol 48 days wow! Sometimes it's good to lose count if you're anything like me and get "bored" with the count moving so slow. I have hardly no problem falling asleep its staying asleep that makes me wanna scream it's 1:23am and I'm up like its 9am funny how my dream had credits like a movie this time then I ended up waking up! I'd love to keep up with you in your quit you're pretty awesome!
JonesCarpeDiem

Good for you except for sleep problems.

Time is the healer.

You know this is mostly mental because of the associations we've made over all the years we've smoked.

The fear of smoking because of the morning cup of coffee?

So we change it up.

Have you ever tried drinking a morning cup of coffe with your other hand?

in a different place?

Most of these "reminders" we fear can be overcome in this way.

Onward and Upward

YoungAtHeart

You are relearning your life as an ex-smoker!!  Exactly what you need to do!

You might try Dale's ideas when you are further along in your quit and you may be able to add that morning coffee back in.

Not smoking does change the body chemistry and caffeine can become more a problem than before.  Age also affects its effects.  I can't do caffeine by dinnertime now...and used to drink tea all evening long when I was younger...not as strong as coffee, but it did start to bother me. 

48 days is awesome.  Good for you!

Nancy

Thomas3.20.2010

So, Lisa

What we believe about our Quits becomes true for us - but we can challenge those beliefs keeping N.O.P.E. in mind!

I had the belief that I couldn't read a book without a Sickerette and I literally had to forfeit reading (one of my favorite pasttimes) for awhile in order to protect my quit.

One day I wrote a Blog here and the comments recommended that I challenge my belief by changing up circumstances such as where I read and how I hold the book. I tried it, dubious but willing and amazingly discovered - Yes! I can read a book! 

Once that belief was broken I can now read anywhere anyway I want to!

It's all in the mind and the mind is a terrible thing to waste!

Congrats on 48 Days!