cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

What works to guit

kat4567
1 13 331

Looking for advice and what other people did to quit smokin? I think my hardest thing is gonna be first thing in the morning with my Coffee. And after I eat. And of course when i'm driving so I need advice would be helpful

13 Comments
YoungAtHeart

Welcome!

We all had a difficult time at the times you mention.  You conquer them by changing up those routines.  I will address them a bit further along.

Educating yourself on the addiction and having a PLAN going forward will reduce the anxiety of quitting.  Get busy learning and preparing, and I think you may actually start to look forward to this journey!  You will do this one day at a time, so don't be looking further ahead than that.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”    You can purchase a digital version online or borrow it at your local library.  Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: Nicotine and Your Brain

I quit over ten years ago , and I base my overall recommendations on my experience and that of others over the years. if you decide to use a quit aid, I recommend those that don't let the addict control the dose such as Rx drugs and the patch. Each cigarette you smoked contained about 1 mg of nicotine. If you use more than one form of NRT, be sure you aren't getting more than when you smoked.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee!  Get right up after you eat and start the clean up, or go for a quick walk. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.  Keep a cold bottle of water in the car from which to sip.  Driving, count the red/blue/white cars  you see or the traffic signals you hit or miss.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You might visit “Games”: The active ones are at the top of the list going down the left side of the page.

Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

101 Things to Do Instead of Smoke - EX Community

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

You might want to join other site members by taking the daily pledge when you quit. IT helps to hold yourself accountable and also accountable to others here. Find it at Home (top left), then first blue box.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

biscuit9

@kat4567   YoungatHeart has some great advice on the coffee.  I could not give up my coffee. As for the driving that was a very hard one for me.  The only way I got through that, God was my copilot.  I clearly remember my first drive(s) without nicotine.  I held His hand and prayed, as simplistic as that may sound, that is what worked for me (bring good tasting hard candies/mints/gum).  I used to love road trips, just me and the cigs and nothing but open road,  I was in my element. I took my first long road trip since I quit, last year (I've been quit just over a year now) and I did it, without nicotine.  You can do this.  Have faith in yourself.  

Cbefree

Welcome @kat4567 ditto on the above from @YoungAtHeart & @biscuit9, I did not have a plan on the day I quit, didn't heed the advice of all the ex's! In hindsight I wish I had but I'm now 38 days and yuk yuk no way am I starting over. One large takeaway from my time on this site is NOPE (not one puff ever) I know myself I remember my many quits; just one drag or one cig.....can't do it because the 2nd one will be easier. Please read up on HELL week & HECK week, read some of the posts from the recent quits folks, when we get through the first week & then the 2nd it really does get easier, my cravings are not so relentless. All my best to you, you can do it (does that platitude help :)) I keep holding on to my mantra FREEDOM

Cousin-Itt

1st.  I avoided if possible driving by where I always bought the darn thing.  Every time a crave hit I started singing loud and horribly probably scaring the driver next to me.

I always wanted to play an instrument.  It was a perfect way for me to use the extra time I had Accomplish something I always wanted to do so, instead of using one of those lung exercise things I picked up a harmonica and later on I taught myself to play a mountain dulcimer.  I also enjoy walking

What I'm suggesting is if you ever wanted to try or learn something new now may be the time  

McMoney

After I ate or finished some task I would have a jolly rancher and do a sudoku puzzle.   Turn the radio up really loud in the car and sing at the top of your lungs and recognize when you need air/run out of air/ don’t run out of air.  Focus on breathing because breathing is more important than the craving.

These things  really worked for me.     

You are strong, Kat! You can beat this!! 

kat4567

Did you use the patch or anything?

ReallyReal

@kat4567 Congratulations on your decision to quit.  When I quit I was really worried about driving without cigarettes as a crutch since driving is anxiety producing for me.  When I would get in the car I would always pop in a piece of gum (I was using NRT for the first 84 days of my quit) or a couple times I was out of the gum and used a piece of hard candy.  To be honest, after the first few times I drove I realized driving without smoking was actually better because I didn't have to think about where I was flicking my ashes or take my eyes off the road as I lit up another one.  Now that I am 127 days into my quit it is amazing that driving is a lot less anxiety-provoking as a nonsmoker.

I was a smoker, like many of us were, who smoked in the morning before I even got out of bed, then again while having coffee.  Changing up my routine helped a lot in those early days. And I always said to myself, "Smoking is not an option"--for me, the things I said to myself were very important.  And I kept my hands really, really busy--I crocheted A LOT, and still am.  For me the nicotine gum helped a lot in my quit but I know it doesn't help other people.  Right from the start I chewed less than the instructions recommended but just enough to take the edge off.  Then as was recommended, I weaned myself off the gum and wasn't using it by the 12 week mark.  Some people are able to quit cold turkey but I felt I wouldn't be able to be successful without NRT.  You can explore what is best for you.  I say, do whatever it takes to be successful at quitting and getting free from nicotine.

Sootie

Welcome---all quits are different but to answer your questions....here is what I did.....

1. Coffee. Yeah. I was NOT giving up coffee along with cigarettes. So...........and I know this sounds too simple but...................I found if I made the coffee really hot and held the mug or cup with two hands not one.......it helped me enjoy the coffee without the cigarette.

2. After eating. Get up and get moving after eating with doing something. I quit 14 years ago and to this day, I still get up from dinner and start the dishes and clean up right away.....because this is what I did rather than have that after eating cigarette.

3. Driving. Yeah---difficult.  But not impossible. I found that sniffing something when I was driving helped....I had a little empty bottle of natural oils ---frankincense---and I would sniff it when I got a crave driving. It sounds strange I know....but it really helped.

Things work for some and not for others....find what works for you. Anything is OK....except just do not smoke! Stay Strong.

kat4567

Thanks everyone  .l honestly  want a cigarette  right now,but l am trying really hard to focus  on something  else.l keep thinking  one would be ok,but we all know that leads to more.so far staying strong on my fist day of quitting 

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

What great advice/suggestions everyone has given @kat4567!

Quiana, EX Team

kat4567
  • Unfortunately I did not make it through the day I smoked two cigarettes
McMoney

Keep looking and keep trying to find the things that will work for you. It does take a mind set of saying I will do anything EXCEPT for smoke. I will not smoke NO MATTER WHAT. If smoking is an option under some circumstance then you will continue to smoke. The addiction is real. 

Two is better than 10 or 20 no doubt. You're wavering but if you're learning as you go then that's okay. Your quit journey is yours alone. Try again, @katw. Keep at it. You CAN win. You have to CHOOSE it. 

McMoney_0-1702328796123.pngMcMoney_0-1704317744351.png

Barbscloud

@kat4567 Don't give up.  I takes many quitters more than one attempt to get this right.  If you haven't created a quit plan, I would recommend it.  Along with the support on the Ex, it made the difference for me after 50 years of smoking.  Remember to reach out before your smoke!Barbscloud_0-1704822923939.jpeg

Barb