cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

We need to feel great about ourselves

ReallyReal
10 15 159

Yes, we do need to tell ourselves that we are amazing.  That's what I am thinking this morning.  The very fact that we made the decision to quit smoking, vaping or dipping is a really big deal.  We knew we would be facing the discomfort, oftentimes more than just discomfort, of withdrawal and we decided, Yup, I am going to do this thing.  We all have very good reasons to quit and we took that first big step.  Our culture is so much about immediate gratification, and that is what addiction is about too--feed the hunger for nicotine to get that boost and stop the craving right now and who cares about the future consequences.   But each one of us said, "No more, nicotine, you can't have me.  I am done with you."  Please take a second and realize you are amazing and sticking with your quit will bring so many good things into your life.  You will not regret being free.  This all came into my mind today because I was hit with the fact that I can really be a wimp, I mean I don't handle pain and discomfort very well at all.  And yet, I somehow had the fortitude to put up with and overcome the very uncomfortable experience of nicotine withdrawal and the later cravings that, honestly, still come up at times.   For me, my faith played a big role, but so did educating myself on my addiction--that helped tremendously.  I just wanted to write this to encourage you all that you have made a great decision.  It can be tough for awhile, but it is so worth it and is a decision to rejoice in and be proud of ourselves for-we really are awesome.  And it is doable!!  I congratulate you, this is BIG!!

15 Comments
YoungAtHeart

Spot on!  Thank you for this!

Nancy

AnnetteMM

I love this!!

biscuit9

Thank you for the reminder  🤗.  Quitting nicotine is not for wimps.

YoungAtHeart

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Self belief and a healthy self esteem allows us to achieve anything!. This was a great post.

Quiana, EX Team

champsin97

Truer words cannot be spoken.  It helps to have some quit buddies to encourage you also!  

Barbscloud

@ReallyReal 

Barbscloud_0-1681046000606.gif

Barb

maryfreecig

So true, when we realize that we stood up for ourselves, did what we thought we couldn't do, hang on in the storms, recooperate afterwards...well like you said we need to feel great about what we've accomplished. Great blog. Thanks for sharing.

qsiesue

Never thought I could quit.........thats what I get for thinking!  I have whooped this addiction mightily! 4 months and getting stronger every single day. Thanks for The pep talk @ReallyReal 

indingrl

Good job self care and encouragement to yourself for all you hard work to be rigorously honest with yourself

Congratulations on overcoming self and staying NOPE just for you to shine your light of HOPE to all who read your inspiration courageous experience strength and hope dear friend @ReallyReal 

I appreciate you for giving me HOPE today

MarilynH

You're totally rocking your precious quit journey @ReallyReal Thank you for sharing this uplifting inspiring post it's much appreciated! Life really is grand without a cigarette/ Vape or dip in hand! YAY for Freedom YAY for each and every one of us for giving ourselves the Gift of LIFE! 

valenw

thanks for sharing! i’ve definitely been engaging in a lot of negative self talk since quitting, it helps to see that i should try to think about the positives instead, affirmations i guess?

green1611

Nice post @ReallyReal. Well written.

After quitting you start liking yourself, and accept as well.

ReallyReal

@valenw at times after quitting I've been pretty negative too and I know that negative self talk can really get a person down, which can get in the way of being successful in staying quit.  Part of my ability to stay quit has been to recognize that quitting is not easy but I am making a good choice, a hard choice, to stay smoke free each day.  This makes me realize I am stronger than I realized and I do have the ability to make good choices for myself, and the ability to stick to a decision I've made.  All of these things help me to feel good about myself.  I guess you could call these affirmations.  Take a look at the good things you are doing in your life by quitting--there is so much positive about the decision to quit.  You have the power to choose not to use. That is an affirmation I tell myself.  Wishing you well on the Road to Freedom.  You ARE doing this thing, and that is something to feel great about.

jonimarie

Thank You for putting a charge into my N.O.P.E battery ! nice post

About the Author
I am 59 years old and love my four dogs and two cats, all strays I couldn't turn away. I love to be outside in my yard, watching the birds or puttering around in the dirt. I am so grateful that I let go of those inner voices that kept telling me, It is too late to quit smoking, or, Why quit now? I am so looking forward to being smoke-free.