cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

We have an EX 7 WINNER!

Strudel
4 52 767

Well we have a winner for the location for EX 7 - Virginia Beach! There were 21 votes and 10 of those were for Virginia Beach. (There were 6 votes for Baltimore, 4 for Ocean Side, CA, and 1 for Pensacola, FL.)

We had our EX gathering in Virginia Beach in 2017 - and hopefully this one will also be well attended! For you newbies - we do an unofficial gathering of EX’ers once a year! PLEASE - plan to attend! I promise you will have the time of your life!

Our next step is to select a date. I will contact the woman at the hotel we used last time to check on available weekends in May and June. (Most seemed to like that hotel - so I hope returning there will be okay.) I will also find out the rates for the dates we will consider. After Memorial Day, the rates go up ..... however, the weather may be better in June. 

Please feel free to discuss things here and I will be back to discuss the dates. Thanks! 

Kathy

Tags (2)
52 Comments
Daniela2016

Dale JonesCarpeDiem‌, we need to cook a plan, or we need to cook and bake to attract EX on the West coast; perfect for you, convenient for me.  What kind of promises can we make to make it happen?

Daniela2016

And just to clarify, not that I don't want to see friends in Virginia, yes, I do, and maybe I'll attend, but California, I don't even need to fly, I can drive...we've done it many times since we moved to AZ.

JonesCarpeDiem

We need to find out what happened to Skygirl. She had the airline connections and could help with buddy passes for people who couldn't afford the trip. 

SimplySheri

What fun!!  I hope y'all have a great turnout   The more, the merrier!!

Giulia

Oh boy oh boy.  Can't wait to hear the possible dates!  Thank you once again for all you do to help make this gathering happen.  

elvan

Yes, Kathy, thank you so much for all that you do.  I really hope that I will be able to make it.  I had a great time at the last one and recently, someone STOLE my Virginia Beach zip up hoodie out of the back seat of my car...it was HUGE, I wore it over a coat sometimes but someone else must have found it appealing.  I will be keeping my eyes open to see if I see someone wearing it in town, LOL.  I bought it off the sale rack at one of those little beach stores.  

Valerie30

I will be there in Virginia Beach...please let's get these dates soon!!!

kristen-9-7-15

If I were to attend and that’s a BIG IF. ( I have a get out of debt plan that does NOT include a vacation! Lol.)  As a closet smoker, what would I tell my family?  I certainly can’t tell them I’m meeting people I met from a quit smoking site! They’ll be asking who I’m going with, where am I going, what I’m doing. I’ve been sitting here thinking of what I would say.  I’m 37 years old! I shouldn’t be trying to devise a plan like I’m a teenager! Haha

Giulia

That SUCKS big time.  And pisses me off no end.  I'd like to ram it down their throats.  Just sayin'!  Don't mess with my friends!  Was your car door left open?  Is that how they were able to steal it?  Or did they break into your car?

pir8fan

Tell them you are coming to meet me!

ShawnP

It sure would be nice if it was timed with the beach concerts again and car show. That sure was fun

Brenda_M

I think West Coasters must have wised up before we did and quit smoking already! Y'all should recruit the few left standing to come here and quit, so you have a larger voting bloc!

Brenda_M

Who are you going with? Friends. Where are you going? Virginia Beach. What are you doing? Fun stuff. 

Easy peasy. 😃

Brenda_M

RIGHT?  I loved that stuff!!!

I also liked the hotel, but I didn't like that it wasn't pet friendly. I hope it's baby friendly. I might bring one along, if that's okay with everybody.

Mandolinrain

COUNT ME IN!

Strudel

I wasn’t a closet smoker - but I still worried the first time I attended! I figured my friends would think I was nuts for flying from NC to Las Vegas to meet people I met on line! That was EX 1 - many years ago! I think that once I explained how much the people here meant to me in terms of help and support to quit - they understood. For you - I like Ellen’s “easy easy” plan! Actually I did have a few people who hadn’t known I smoked - I told them exactly what Ellen said - meeting friends! 

JACKIE1-25-15

Yes you should. 

djmurray

I will be there!  Really liked the hotel and the location was good for EX 5.  So sorry for the west coast contingent of our community.

Jennifer-Quit

So exciting!  Hope it works out for me to be there!

Mandolinrain

I hope the dates for this are set soon so I can make sure NOTHING gets in the way for me to go! I can't wait to meet all of you

kristen-9-7-15

pir8fan

That'll go over well with my retired police officer father.  "Hey Dad, no worries, I am going to meet a man I met on the internet in Virginia"  Hahahahaha.....Just kidding.  Teeeheeeheeehee

Strudel

Okay folks - I have contacted the group sales person we used last time - hopefully she is still there! I have asked about availability and prices for the weekends below. I have also asked for Ocean Front prices as well as Non-Ocean Front rates. 

The first weekend listed is usually when the “Beach Music Cruise-In” takes place - a big hit last time. Of course, it all depends on availability. Prices will go up in June...but weather may be better. 
May 16 - 20 (will vary in number of nights for each individual for each weekend - usual range 2 to 4 nights)
May 9 - 13 
June 6 - 10
June 13 - 17
We will vote once we get all of this info. Thanks!! I will keep you posted. 
Take care! 
Rick_M

Hey Hi G.....hope you can join us....this one is drivable for ya.

Giulia

I know it is!  And I'm hoping to be there this time!

Rick_M

Thanks Kathy for once again leading the effort here. I been to all of the EX reunions and they are a fun time. Virgina Beach served us well at our EX 5 visits, glad we  are going back, my group is planning on attending.  Please EX'ers try to attend, you will join a new EX group you will never forget. Quitting is tuff but celebrating your quit with those who have helped make it happen is sweet and to see your cyber friends in person is a reward you will never ever forget.....Promise

I really think we need to move EX 7 out of May and little more to mid to late June for better weather.  The concert and car show at the last one, a week before Memorial Day was great but we did get some rough weather half way through. Let us just make it happen folks....

Posamari

West coast.

West coast.

West coast.

Daniela2016

Let's me tell you a story Kristen, just so you don't feel alone. 

I was visiting my parents one year (dad was a retired military and already afflicted by Alzheimer's), maybe about 7-8 years ago, I was over 50 for sure.  One night I went to hang out with long life friends, just about 3 blocks away from my parents'.  After calling several times, dad actually came and picked me up, saying: "as long as you live (vacation, hello???) under my roof, you respect my curfew, you coming home with me".  And that was that.  Never mind we had left the country years ago, we lived in 3 different new countries without his supervision, once he had me home, I had to follow the rules.  RIP dad!

You are not alone dear kristen-9.7.15

Daniela2016

Thank  you Kathy!

kristen-9-7-15

Daniela2016

Oh my god that’s hilarious!!! Luckily my dad has never been strict stereotypical police dad.  I don’t know if that is just his nature, I’m the youngest of 3, or I was a good teenager (or good at hiding being a good teenager  ).  The funny thing is, I’d rather tell my dad I’m meeting a man from the internet than EVER admit I was a smoker! Haha

JACKIE1-25-15

There are a lot of things my adult kids tell me what they use to do.  I am glad they don't do it anymore and glad I never had to experience ALL of it just SOME. It would be funny if your parents already knew and they are just HIDING it from you so you won't be embarrassed.  lol. 

ShawnP

It might surprise you Kristin but he may already know. We think we cover up the smoke with perfume when we still stink. My friend was visiting other day at my moms n she went out for smoke, she come back in spelling if perfume, but I could still smell it. Now if ur dad would smoke, then maybe he wouldn't know.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

kristen-9-7-15

JACKIE1-25-15‌, ShawnP

I honestly don’t think they knew.  I don’t know how!  I only think this because some of the things my sister does (smoker); my parents don’t think she smokes but it’s blatantly obvious.  Maybe they just don’t want to believe. Haha

ShawnP

I bet if u confessed and said you used to be a smoker and now you are so many days free, they will admit they knew. They would also support u as well. I finally confessed to my mom. She knew but didnt want to believe. By confessing, it's a load off ur chest then.

Rick_M

Kristen I think also like Shawn, your parents knew they just did not want to believe it. You are quit now so make it happen and join us....

Rick_M

Hey Hi Jenn.....hope u can go....

Strudel

Please go to the poll to make date choice -   

Please vote by Tuesday, January 8th so that we can reserve the rooms we need. Thanks! 

Giulia

I voted I voted!

ShawnP

me too.

Rick_M

I voted too but got no sticker ....

Daniela2016

Me too...

Mandolinrain

There are stickers????? Me not get a sticker  lol

ShawnP

I didnt either lol

Giulia

For all those who didn't receive a sticker...

pastedImage_1.jpg

Strudel

Please see the latest info on how to make your reservation - /blogs/Strudel-blog/2019/01/10/reserve-your-room-for-ex-7-asap

Strudel

If you are planning on attending EX 7 in Virginia Beach in May, considering it, - or if you want to just follow what is going on as the trip is planned - please join (follow) the group - EX Weekend 2019 - Virginia Beach 

Pops

I just now made my reservations, and Amy said the dates were now in May!  (16th through 20th)  I surely hope this is correct.

Pops

Giulia

My reservation's in.  Shashort and I will be roomies - 16th through the 20th on the other side of the tracks!

Strudel

Yes Pops - we did a poll on the date selection and May 16 - 20 won! Here are the results -  /blogs/Strudel-blog/2019/01/08/mark-your-calendars 

DonnaMarie

I can't wait to meet some of you. I live close, so probably won't spend the night. 

Giulia

Saturday's the night we usually all eat together, so hope you can make it that night.

About the Author
I live in Greensboro, North Carolina. I have 2 cats - Monet and Holly. I retired from teaching special education in 2004 and then taught part-time until 2013. I quit smoking on June 12, 2010 after smoking for 40 years! I am amazed daily - still - by the glory of freedom!