cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

WHEN DOES IT GET EASY

Giulia
5 21 203

This is re-post, originally in Relapse Traps.  Thought it might be time to pull it out of mothballs.

When does it get easier.jpg

I was responding to another person when I learned something about this quitting process. Yes, even after 3 years. So I pass it on. Some of this is directly quoted from what I said to her.

It was hard for every single one of us long-term quitters too to quit. I went through months wondering when the easy part came? I mean, there WAS supposed to be an easy part, right? And then I learned, gradually, that it doesn't all of a sudden become easy. You don't awaken one morning and discover the hard part's over SLAP BANG THANK YOU MA'AM! No. (Somehow, in my naivete', I thought that would be the case.) But you may have an easy couple of hours. And then a few days later, an easy couple more. And then you'll start to have whole days that are easy. Maybe only a couple in the first month, then a couple more and a couple more....

The point is, which I suddenly realized after over three years being quit is: it doesn't SUDDENLY become easy. This may be obvious to most, but it wasn't to me. There isn't a magic gate you pass through to the "easy side." You can't say to someone that after the first three days it becomes easy, nor after "hell week," nor after the first month celebration. For that's not the truth of this process. Easier, emphasis on the er, yes. But not momentously easy.

Oh, yes, for some it may be. For some, they put the cigarettes down and that's it. They never never look back. And God bless' 'em. If you're one of those, then you obviously don't need to be reading a thing in Relapse Traps. I wish I were one. But I'm not. And I can only relate my own experience here. So don't take it for the gospel truth, 'cause there is no such thing when it comes to the individual quitting process. There IS no gospel truth. Well, except the gospel truth of never putting another cigarette in your mouth again. That IS a gospel truth if you want to be free forever.
But I digress.

So, my point here is that there IS no magic moment when it all turns suddenly EASY. It's like losing a loved one. You go along and the first weeks, months are horrible. You constantly think about them and you grieve. And you wonder if the ache, the sorrow, will EVER go away. And then day by day the ache aches a little less. And you're surprised when you've gone through a whole day without thinking about them. And so guiltily relieved that you haven't. And then the next day you hit a moment in the day when you feel like that first hour after they died. And it's hits you full force again.
The quitting process is the same. There is no door where there's a CRAVINGS STOP HERE sign on one side. So don't be lured into thinking that. Always keep your guard up. And stay outta the traps.

21 Comments
YoungAtHeart

GREAT reminder - this needs to go on the "wisdom page!"

Nancy

sparky26

I love this blog ! 

TerrieQuit

This is a great re-post Giulia!

My cravings are really very strange in the way they come. I will have a day, maybe two that go along great and then the next day, everytime I look over he's sitting right next to me nagging in my ear. I can move over a seat or to another room or even outside but it usually takes something physical and then he's gone and I don't see him anymore for a while. I consider myself lucky, but I also have came prepared to deal with ole nic and what ever he has to dish out, cuz it's different every time! QUITTER BEWARE!! I am barely half way threw NML and I have every intention of making it all the way! I am a LIFER!!

Terrie  77  DOF which is also  11 weeks!

LouiseR

Thanks Giulia for re-posting this!

Barbara145

Great blog, Giulia.  You describe grief.  I believe grief for many of us is a big part of this process.  The wonderful thing about quitting is that at some point you begin seeing all the good that it brings.  Growth, health, self esteem, more peace.  Those things to me make it worth whatever it takes.  Life becomes so much better in so many ways.

Giulia

I should really edit my blog to incorporate your point, Barbara.  The fact IS it DOES get easier and it is well worth what it takes to get to the WONDERFUL.

MarilynH

AMEN AND AMEN AGAIN......

JonesCarpeDiem

It gets easoer when you say it does and you listen.

Jennifer-Quit

You are correct - it is a gradual process and such a wonderful feeling when you realize that the good times far out weigh the bad times. 

Mike.n.Atlanta

People want things compartmentalized & in order. You're right...there is no set schedule. We can't say when it will happen for anyone other than ourselves & then we only know that it did. But that's allright with me.

KOKO,

elvan

Wonderful, Giulia, wouldn't that door "Craves stop here" be wonderful?  Oh well, I guess I feel as though this has not been easy but it is SO WORTH it that easy is not important.

jimmypage

Just what I needed to hear today, it's like you read my mind and that's what I love about this site! I know I can do this, easy or not NOPE 😃

nanawendy

As usual, Big G you are so right..  I remember you talking me down off that ledge at 11 months.. You said it does get easier and now at 994 smoke free days it is easier.  Quitting smoking is not easy, but it is doable and so worth it.. As a very wise woman taught me Day Won, not Day One

keep calm and carry on

Wendy

12/31/12

Eric_L.

Disagreement and fighting are part of life.  People that aren't addicts have to deal with shame and having days that they feel off.  So, it stands to reason that just because we are addicts recovering from that we are not above feelings. 

We aren't numbing ourselves anymore.  We get glimpses of happiness.  I don't expect life to get easier.  Things just seem to get more familiar.  I do believe that it gets easier after the first two months of weirdness.  But, with time and life getting familiar, there's time to get medicated properly, or work on thinking errors, and get living situation in order.

Giulia

"Things just seem to get more familiar."  Excellent point, Eric.  It IS weird and uncomfortable in the beginning because it's all unfamiliar to us - this not smoking, this THING we used to do many times a day.  Our brains have been programmed/mapped  in a certain way with a certain behavior and when we quit that behavior, that mapping takes re-programming.  And that re-programming takes time.  That's why the only cure IS time.  And we feel like we're in an alien body until that "new normal" is achieved. 

I just came across this article when I googled "habit vs addiction" - http://www.thefix.com/content/habit-or-addiction  Interesting reading.

I found this point especially noteworthy, even though they're describing a habit as opposed to an addiction.  But isn't smoking in actuality both?   “By reflecting the recurring features of an organism’s past experiences, such systems shield existing knowledge against potential disruption from being overwritten or unduly distorted by new experience.”  (Wood and Neal  - Psychological Review in 2007.) 

Is it any wonder our subconscious minds fight this change we’re putting it through?!  Ironically it’s in false self preservation mode.  We fight the very change that is to our benefits.  Wow.  Never thought of it that way. 

Change is a death to the "comfortable" within us.  So the fight or flight mechanisms come to the fore?  Talking out loud here.  Feel free to join in the conversation.

tjanddj

I can see it being perceived as fight or fight mechanism A false alarm because smoking is not needed for survival but it is the death of a "comfortable" within us. I am going into "ponder mode" now.  Thank You Giulia for the thoughts.

bonniebee

Again I am glad I am reading blogs that I missed ! Thanks Nancy !

connect2amy

Great post, Giulia! I've started to think of quitting the same way I think about AA; you always need to keep your guard up. Smoking is an addicition and it is always a part of you even after you've quit. I've tried to quit a few times, and when the cravings subsided I would have one with friends thinking it was a CHOICE. It was a stupid choice and it pulled me back in everytime. I will always be a tobacco addict, and instead of looking at it as a flaw or a weakness, I am trying to see it as a growing experience.

Giulia

You've got the right attitude, Amy.  Qutting is about growing, changing, adapting to our new smoke-free selves.  We learn through education that this is an addiction.  And once you realize that quitting is a choice, you also realize that smoking is too.  And there is no such thing as "just one."

Amlatt

This blog is so helpful and thank you for posting - I enjoyed reading it

Giulia

My, you sure are doing your homework!  You will go far in this quit!

About the Author
Member since MAY 2008. I quit smoking March 1, 2006. I smoked a pack and a half a day for about 35 years. What did it take to get me smoke free? Perseverance, a promise not to smoke, and a willingness to be uncomfortable for as long as it took to get me to where I am today. I am an Ex but I have not forgotten the initial difficult journey of this rite of passage. That's one of the things that's keeping me proudly smoke free. I don't want to ever have another Day 1 again. You too can achieve your goal of being finally free forever. Change your mind, change your habits, alter your focus, release the myths you hold about smoking. And above all - keep your sense of hewmer. DAY WON - NEVER ANOTHER DAY ONE. If you still want one - you're still vulnerable. Protect your quit!