cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Tomorrow is Quit Day....

BabySaki16
2 11 189

But today was supposed to be. I was doing well... until I wasn't.  And, so it is. I've never wholeheartedly quit before. So, after far too many years - here's to health, saving money and a sense of humor through it all. Lies, all lies. 😉  I'm also trying to navigate this page but grateful for the blogs, posts and others here. Thank you all in advance!

11 Comments
biscuit9

What about hard candies or fruit juices?  Souds like you have a plan, which is so important, because instead of nicotine your "go to" will be healthy things....I journaled alot, wrote my thoughts down and wrote encouraging phrases over and over and over.  Don't feel like you have to walk a block or anything, maybe just do some inside walking to lessen the craving or look outside and focus on something else.  Staying busy is what worked best for me.  Go to Hobby Lobby and find a craft to work on.  Read the book, Easyway to quit Smoking.  There are lots of smoking videos on whyquit.com.  You are creating a new life, that doesn't include self-harm.  It takes a little time for that new life to feel normal.  

BabySaki16

Thank you @biscuit9 for taking the time to say what felt like, all the things I needed to hear the most. Encouragement & common sense. It does no good to be self defeating. Appreciate your reply. You definitely know what you're talking about, more than me. So congrats to you on your journey.

Jules - 

BabySaki16

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @BabySaki16! My name is Quiana, and I am a part of the EX Team. Congratulations on your decision to quit! I wanted to reach out and personally welcome you to the EX Community! We are so excited you have joined us. This is a very supportive community so feel free to keep us all posted on your quit journey reach out and let us know if you need anything. You may find our Daily Pledge page helpful to make a commitment not to smoke on a day-by-day basis. Posting there will also bring visibility to your journey to others who take the pledge daily.

Here are some articles that might be helpful as you prepare for your quit date: 

https://www.becomeanex.org/ex-resources/about-quitting/get-ready-to-quit/right-before-you-quit/

https://www.becomeanex.org/ex-resources/about-quitting/get-ready-to-quit/3-ways-to-get-your-support-...

Quiana, EX Team

YoungAtHeart

Welcome!

It really doesn't matter WHEN you quit, as long as you don't put if off too long, and you are as ready for it as you can be.

Understanding the addiction and having a PLAN going forward will reduce the anxiety of quitting.  Get busy learning and preparing, and I think you may actually start to look forward to this journey!  You will do this one day at a time, so don't be looking further ahead than that. 

An important thing you can do is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. I was amazed when I learned that the stress reduction you feel when you ingest nicotine is caused by the brain receptors calming that have gradually built in volume jonesing for their next fix!  I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking”  that brings light two other things you might not know.  You can purchase a digital version online or borrow it at your local library.  Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: Nicotine and Your Brain.

I quit many years ago , and I base my overall recommendations on my experience and that of others here over the years. If you decide to use a quit aid, I recommend those that don't let the addict control the dose such as Rx drugs and the patch. Lozenges and gum are fine, but don't sub them for every cigarette you used to smoke.  That will simply be substituting one addiction for another.  Have a plan to reduce use over time. Each cigarette you smoked contained about 1 mg of nicotine. If you use more than one form of NRT, be sure you aren't getting more than when you smoked.

To better deal with the habit part of the addiction, change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your walking shoes on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! .  Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

After you have eliminated as many associations as you can, you need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You might visit Games: The active ones are at the top of the list going down the left side of the page.

Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

101 Things to Do Instead of Smoke - EX Community

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

You might want to join other site members by taking the daily pledge when you quit. It helps to hold yourself accountable and also accountable to others here. Find it at Home (top left), then first box titled Take the Daily Pledge.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

BabySaki16

@YoungAtHeart 

I can't thank you enough Nancy. Great advice, suggestions and encouragement.  I'm already thinking about morning, and I laughed at the simplicity, but effectiveness of using my other hand to drink coffee. Simple yet brilliant.  I appreciate ALL your input. And, thank you... I'm gonna need the support.  One day at a time, as I live with another smoker who is not ready to stop. I warned him I may not be friendly at times haha, about that. He's supportive but - I'm already agitated that he's going to continue smoking while I do this. I've stopped other vices he has not, so perhaps he thinks this is easier for me. Smh . 😆 Silly man.  But I'm as ready to be a non smoker as I'll ever be. Just have nerves about whatll come that is unpleasant.  

Again, though, I love ypur suggestions! Thanks, again!

Congrats on your journey & success!

Julie

BabySaki16

@YoungAtHeart @CommunityAdmin @biscuit9 

I have both 2mg and 4mg lozenges.  I have patches but I've not committed to using those. I've heard & read if you smoke w/in 30 min of getting up, use 4mg lozenge... that would be me. 

However,  throughout the day (w exception of past 2 days- I've smoked way more than usual), I generally smoke up to 10-13/day... so I figured I should stick to 2mg lozenges. Am I overthrowing it, or just see what works. I really want to start strong, without over relying on NRT. Any thoughts would be appreciated,  or maybe it's see what works as I go?

Can you yell I'm already getting even more nervous for the morning? Lol Thanks everyone. 😊 

Julie 

YoungAtHeart

You can always adjust on the fly!  Do try as best you can not to sub a lozenge for every cigarette you used to smoke.  

Change up your routines.  Do things in different place, in a different order, to reduce their association with smoking.  Put each NRT use off as long as you can, first distracting yourself and getting busy doing something - anything to get your mind off of the need for a smoke.  Even slow/deep breaths, starting with this exercise and then going slower and deeper with each repetition can work:

200w.gif

Count the number of blue things in the room, then red ones.  Think of boys'/girls' names for each letter of the alphabet.  Take a walk, then take another one!  Wash the dog, or your car.  Take a shower, clean out a cabinet or a closet.

STAY busy these first days.  Just don't smoke!  

I thought I was going to be the last smoker standing - but I quit - so can YOU!

Nancy

River529

I had a talk with husband this evening. Again. I am more proactive and he is more reactive. I too have changed and evolved faster and more than him. I have realized I can’t use his smoking as a crutch to cave. I have to blaze the trail, as with many things with him, hopefully he will follow eventually but once again I have to move ahead. 
This evening I discussed with him how him smoking around me will trigger me. He was out of town for a week and I did well cutting back and skipping cigs. Switching up and figuring out new routines etc., He got home and a week of work fell apart. He comes home dumping his day on me and all wound up. I can be calm and relaxed and then BAM- he gets home.. 

I told him I’ll have to walk away. He can call one of his buddy’s and dump his stress or whatever. He tells me this time he won’t smoke around me .. we shall see.. 

YoungAtHeart

It sounds to me like you are going about this all right!  Thinking and planning ahead how you intend to handle stress is important.  

You might also ask hubby to keep his ashtrays, cigarettes and lighters out of your sight.  When you hit a rough patch, having them around might make your commitment more difficult.  I hope he smokes outside?  If not, I would ask him to do that, at least until your quit is well in hand.  In that regard, maybe also remind him that second and third hand smoke is also harmful?

Let us know when you have questions or need support.

Nancy

Barbscloud

@River529 Glad you had the talk with your husband.  Reminder:  it's your quit, no one else's.

Barb

Barbscloud

@BabySaki16 Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your quit day.   It's not to late to learn about nicotine addiction and be prepared.  There will be ups and downs, but with knowledge and preparation success is in sight.

Anxiety about quitting is normal. Many describe it as losing their best friend,. We've smoked our way through every event and emotion, so it's only normal that were apprehensive. Approaching your quit one day at a time can help to alleviate the fear. Don't think about forever right now. You'll see those one days will turn into multiple days.

And you just found an amazing group of quitters the are here to support you on this journey to becoming an Ex.  We're here for you, so just reach out anytime we can help or want to share your experience.

I would make the commitment to use the NRT as intended for it to work. I used Welbutrin and nicotrol inhalers and they worked for me.  Here are some good articles from the Mayo Clinic.

Are Nicotine Replacement Safe? - EX Community

To NRT or Not to NRT – That is the Question - EX Community

Navigating Nicotine Replacement: What are the opti... - EX Community  This post has some good information about dosage.

The Impact of Attitudes on Nicotine Replacement Therapy Adherence

Reinforce your quit by joining many of us on the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb