cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

They Are Only Thoughts

JonesCarpeDiem
1 12 22

Once I quit, I never fought myself. Yes, I thought about smoking, probably as often as expected of anyone quitting after smoking for 40 years but, I never considered it.

Never thought about bumming one

Never went to the store or even out to my truck

I just never let it get that far.

You have the same control.

Find it and use it. Learn to distract yourself from smoking thoughts from the beginning by realizing they are only thoughts and you will get there..

Living is more than thinking about smoking. I did that for 40 years.

12 Comments
MarilynH

Living life is so much better without the crutch of cigarettes, stick with your quit, stay strong and see for yourself how much better life is but give it some time to get to that good place. 

Deena-A-Yenni

Aaaaaaaagreeed.

smorgy8513

My REAL Quit....my FOREVER Quit....

Same here.....not smoking, not buying, not bumming!

Lovin' it!

kristen-9-7-15

I'm afraid to call this my forever quit because I relapsed after two years 😞

JonesCarpeDiem

there is no outside force that makes us smoke.

freeneasy

Yep you can be your own best friend or worst enemy. It's a choice.

TerrieQuit

I choose not to bum, buy, or smoke!..............

Terrie  187  DOF

elvan

It IS a choice and it is NOT an option unless you make it one.

Giulia

It's so important to get your mind focused on something else.  If you sit there dwelliing in the well of smoking thoughts they will drown you.  They ARE only thoughts, but thoughts are what lead to actions.  Gotta change our thoughts to change our actions.

froguelady

For me it was changing my thought pattern to "I am a non smoker".  Thinking you might relaspe sets up thoughts that should not be in your mind. Just my opinion.

jimmypage

You are so right, living IS more than just thinking about smoking. I choose not to smoke and I choose not to fight myself over that decision

Deena-A-Yenni

My feed is not showing today's blogs thus far so I went to your page to view some literature.  I am not in jeopardy but rather staying on top of my focus.  I thank you for your dedication.

About the Author
Hello, My name is Dale. I was quit 18 months before joining this site and had participated on another site during that time. I learned a lot there and brought it with me. I joined this site the first week of August 2008. I didn't pressure myself to quit. HOW I QUIT I didn't count, I didn't deny myself to get started. When I considered quitting (at a friends request to influence his brother to quit), I simply told myself to wait a little longer. No denial, nothing painful. After 4 weeks I was down to 5 cigarettes from a pack a day. The strength came from proving to myself, I didn't need to smoke because I normally would have smoked. Simple yes? I bought the patch. I forgot to put one on on the 4th day. I needed it the next day but the following week I forgot two days in a row I put one in my wallet with a promise to myself that I would slap it on and wait an hour rather than smoke. It rode in my wallet my first year.There's nothing keeping any of you from doing this. It doesn't cost a dime. This is about unlearning something you've done for a long time. The nicotine isn't the hard part. Disconnecting from the psychological pull, the memories and connected emotions is. :-) Time is the healer.