cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

The Unintended Consequence.....

robertclark302
5 16 86

Today, at 3:30 p.m. it will be exactly 150 days since I quit smoking.  Rough math says that is 5 months.  What a journey it has been!  If truth be told, I was basically given an ulitmatium by my wife, quit or we were through.  So many times I promised her I would quit and as the tears would flow from her eyes when another failed quit was discovered.  A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with an enlarged aorta and high blood pressure.  Which basically means nothing, at least for now, if I took care of myself.  Well as you can see, I am not sitting here with 2 years of freedom so even the health scare didn't phase me.

I remember saying early on in my quit that this one felt different.  With my marriage on the line, I usually buckle under such pressure, but this time was different.  I guess for the first time in my life I seriously looked at all the good things I had.  A wife who gave me too many second chances and two wonderful little girls.  Why on earth would I want to shorten my lifespan? 

It was time for a change....for them.  My wife needed a husband who was willing to stick around for as long as possible.  My children deserved a father who would be able to walk them down the isle without lugging an oxygen bottle with them (if I would be so lucky).  I needed to change. 

And change I did.  However, I still didn't care about myself.  It was all about them.  A life time of self-hate was not going to change simply because I quit smoking.  However, quitting allowed me to process different things in my life.  It allowed me to recognize my faults but more importantly it allowed me to focus on the positive aspects of my life.  Here I was sacrificing what I thought made me happy in order to teach my children a lesson.  A lesson that we are not perfect but with hardwork we can overcome just about anything, nothing is impossible, and finally we are not measured by how much money we make or how what we drive, or the price tag on our clothes; we are measured by our word and the promises we keep.

With each step, with each milestone, I began to recognize my own self-worth more and more.  Slowly I began to see that not only did my family deserve to have me around, but I deserved it too.  So now, for the first time in maybe my entire life, I can say, with a tear on my cheek, that I love myself. 

I'm not perfect by any stretch of the imagination.  I still have my flaws; flaws that I am trying to overcome.  However, I'm Rob Clark and I'm a pretty damn good person. 

150 days?  That is just a drop in the bucket for what I have planned.  I am going to join the 1 year club then I'm moving on to the Quad squad or 4 numbers club or whatever its called, because this is a lifetime quit.

16 Comments
JACKIE1-25-15

Beauiful blog, such a grand tribute to yourself and your family.  I bet those little girls love the way daddy smells now.  

They all probably hug you a lot longer.  Kudos to you and your 5 months and forever quit. Great 
blog great job. 

Christine13

What a wonderful thing to have happen to you, you finally love yourself enough to see you deserve to have your beautiful family and your quit too!!

Fabulous 5 months quit!!!

MarilynH

This is such a powerful blog post Robert , congratulations on your precious 150 DOF and counting my friend and fellow Exer , you ,your wife and beautiful little girls have a wonderful smoke free life ahead of you to cherish , life really does get better and better without the crutch of cigarettes . ☆

RachelMB

Amazing story Rob!  So proud of you!  Just imagine the possibilities for you and your family now.........:)

crazymama_Lori

quitting smoking is more the realization of one's self and the endless possiblities we have within ourselves.  What an outstanding blog !!!!

c2q

We're saving your seat at the Quad Squad. Great post, Rob. I'm so glad you are doing this. For your family, for your wife, and for your self.

YoungAtHeart

It IS called the Quad Squad - and I will be waiting to hold open the door for you!

I remember when you were just a quivering,  uncertain newbie.  How far you have come.  It's been quite a journey, hasn't it?!!  I am so very proud of you, and the man you have become when you are no longer hiding behind that cloud of smoke.

Life IS grand when we don't smoke, isn't it?

Nancy

SimplySheri
You absolutely are a damn good person!! And as wonderful as your family is, they are just as blessed to have you in their lives. Your health will improve as you continue your smoke free life and I hope your health issues ease as well. Congratulations!!
elvan

Congratulations on five months, Rob.  I am so happy for you.  What a great milestone for you!

Daniela2016

Nice job, nice blog, your family is so happy to have you and I am sure they are so proud today!

Image result for congratulations

Barbara145

Quitting smoking is so much more than putting down the cigarettes.  It is truly a journey of self discovery.  When I quit I had no clue of what was in store.  It is pretty wonderful. So glad you are reaping the benefits.  You have so much to live for.  Loved your blog.

maryfreecig

Thank you Robert, for telling your story. Inspiring. Congratulations on your 5 months. Yeah!

Silverstar

Congratulations on your 150 days, that's huge.  We will keep adding up the days, to 1000 and beyond, and I'm happy to agree with you that our lives are worth it.

robertclark302

Rob,

You did it!!! Almost 2 1/2 years later you have entered the Quad Squad!!!

Rob

crazymama_Lori

congratulations !!!!

elvan

We MISS you around here, I am so glad that you are celebrating with us today.

Ellen

About the Author
I am on my one millionth attempt at quitting. I have smoked for well over 15 years. A few years ago I developed a few health problems that gave me some concern but not enough to quit. Finally, my wife gave me an ultimatum; her or the cigarettes. I finally got my head out of you know where on June 2, 2016 and have never looked back.