cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

The Power of Rewards

Barbscloud
5 5 114

Rewards play a crucial role in changing behavior. The brain goes through lots of changes when we quit nicotine  We lose that feel good feeling from dopamine when quitting. Guess what?  Those rewards we have picked for ourselves produce dopamine levels in the brain and associate the new behaviors with pleasure. The reward pathway in the brain, is a dopamine pathway.

Sending our brain that signal of success tells your brain that it was worth the effort. Celebrating those successes with rewards more frequently in the beginning  establishes a daily habit.

We often talk about walking as a quit tool.  It was for me.  But it is also a reward.  It boosts our mood and increases our energy. And, we may begin to breathe easier.

There can be a reward for beginning your journey, everyday rewards like saving your cigarette (nicotine) money, and rewards to celebrate those milestones.  They can be big or small.  If you saved your smoke money, it may even be a vacation to celebrate your first-year smoke free. The reward does not have to be monetary, just something you enjoy works just as well. Be creative.

Even belonging to a support group like BecomeAnEx can be a reward.  Those praises of good job, congratulations, well done, proud of you, etc. are rewards for our achievements. So stay close to the site and share those success milestones. One day, one week, one month.  It doesn't matter.  Each day is just as important as the next.  

Of course, there is the reward of improved health.  Some physical changes from quitting can happen quickly while others may take longer.  In the meantime, use those rewards to reinforce the major behavioral life change you have made. The end result?  You become Ex.

Research has shown that people that reward themselves for quitting are more likely to stay quit!

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

5 Comments
Thyme

I love this! 

Cbefree

Perfect post for this moment. In the days leading up to my quit (4 days done :)) I became acutely aware of the dopamine hit with the first couple drags of a cigarette, very powerful sensation. I'm curious why the patches don't seem to be as effective as I remember from the past, the converse being oh the cravings could be so much worse. I know this will pass, it's so good to have this forum to read your experiences/triumphs/what it looks like on the other side. Yikes feeling a bit dark, blue sky today going to take dog for a walk....

green1611

@Barbscloud 

Thanks for good post. 

appreciating rewards... is the key. 

Christine13

Hi @Barbscloud   

It's been 2 1/2 years since I've had a smoke.  I was in a meeting today and there was a girl smoking.  For me, I've been struggling all through the holidays with wanting to smoke again.

Your post is wonderful.  I don't need an expensive reward, but I need a perk of some kind.

I will spend some time, talking with a friend, in about 15 minutes.  She is going to call me back.

I haven't talked to her in a long while, so that's a perfect reward for me!

Good to see you!

Christine13

MarilynH

Thanks Barb @Barbscloud for sharing this uplifting thought provoking and powerful post!