cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

The First Day.

acjudd830
5 18 246

I am 29 years old. My goal is to have a substantial amount of time being nicotine free before my 30th birthday, later on this year.

When I started smoking cigarettes at age 18, I did not think I would be labelled the smoker. I have had too many people tell me I am too pretty to smoke. But I loved it. I did not want to quit. Cigarettes was replaced by a vape and I would be on it constantly... in the middle of the night, right when I wake up, before a workout, after a workout, in the bathroom at work, in the car, on the couch watching tv. NON STOP. Finally, after meeting my current boyfriend, I knew I needed to stop. At first, he did not mind the vaping. Then slowly, he opened up about how he wishes I stopped. Finally, as we both started new workouts regimes together and eating more healthy, I feel finally ready to stop. 

The biggest factor is my age. I do not want to be 30 years old and still smoking. I do not want to be a 40 year old still smoking, 50.. 60.. and so on. The time is now. I also want to eventually marry my boyfriend and have children with him. I do not want the pressure to quit smoking only when I'm pregnant. I do not want to be smoking a vape and hiding it around my child. The time is now.. in order to achieve my goals and dreams, I need to quit NOW.

It's been a long time coming. My mother had heart problems at age 40 and my dad got diabetes at the age of 45. There is a history of cancer and tumors in my family. I do not want to have premature health problems because I could not quit vaping. The time is NOW. I control my health with good food, exercising, and NO SMOKING.

I know it's going to be hard. I've only really tried to stop smoking about 1.5 years ago, when I first met my current boyfriend and I wanted to make a good impression on him. I lasted 8 days without a cigarette or vape. 8 days. That is the longest I've gone smoke free in 11 years. 8 days. So that is where I will start. One day at a time. I want to hit a new milestone of 9 days smoke free. Then 10.. 11.. 12 until eventually I will turn 30 and be months without vaping.

I can do this. I have gum, sunflower seeds, lollipops.. I have the stairs at work to work it out. I run a mile on my lunch breaks during work days. I believe in myself. I can do it. I have to do it. I need to do it for my future self. For my goals. For my dreams. To be and stay healthy. I can text my boyfriend if I'm struggling. I can text my parents. I can text my best friend. I can text my cousins. I have so many people who love me and want me to be healthy. They want to help me quit. They've been wanting me to quit. But it is all up to me. My mental state. My eagerness to want to change. My actions to choose to do something else besides smoking.

Again, I know it's going to be hard. I may cry. I may be irritable. But it will past. I want to do this. I have the support. It is time. It is time. It is time. I WILL STOP AND I CAN DO IT. I love myself and I want to commit to being vape, cigarette, nicotine free. The time is now and my future awaits. 

❤️ 

18 Comments