cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Thank you mom

Daniela2016
0 8 13

Today I am grateful to be able to take care of mom! 

She is 85, and came to live with us in November of 2014, 5 months after dad passed away.  She has been his caregiver during his hard years fading into dementia. 

Their only child away, and able to visit just once or twice every year, she never wanted me to compromise my career to go help her care for dad!  The most she accepted was someone to help part time, but mostly for the heavier stuff, she kept dad's care in her own, fragile hands. 

I was so happy when she agreed to move in with us, and leave behind all her belongings, and other family.  We felt honored, relieved, and ready to provide for her, help her, spoil her for as long as she is still with us. We are her window to the new world she lives in, as she does not speak any English.

Happy Mothers Day Mom, thank you for trusting us with your life.

I made a promise to you to quit smoking, and I will honor it!

Daniela

8 Comments
prague

Daniela, I cared for both my parents. I sooo understand. My mom died in 2001, and my dad lived with my daughter and I until he died in 2010. Both wanted me to quit smoking. My mom never smoked, and my dad was told to quit smoking (cigars) when he was in his 50's because of heart issues, which he did. My dad lived to be 99 of a brain tumor. And, even in his 90's, he played with my daughter, played word games, took her to the park.He and my daughter became so close that she wants to spend each of her birthdays at the cemetery visiting Grandpa.

bonniebee

I think it is a beautiful way to give back to your mom to many are so ready to just send there parents off to a nursing home !

I hope you have a Wonderful Mothers Day together !

. My Mom was a smoker and died when only 60 years old my sisters and i helped my Dad care for her so that she could die at home . 

I think it is wonderful to include Ex in your commitment to quit it sure helped me to do that by giving me even more incentive to quit ! I do not want to dissappoint  all those who have  given me so much support and friendship ! 

Giulia

And now she is trusting you with HER life.  And this is good.  Beautiful tribute to her.

Daniela2016

Thank you so much Bonnie, Prague and Giulia.  I do believe a commitment we make to our parents has to be honored! They raised us, and gave us the best human values they knew how to. 

In my case smoking was not inherited, nor learned from my parents.  It was a choice I made 40 years ago, like most of our generation did, to fit in with the "smoking crowd". 

And now I want to fit in with the ex-smokers, and I am on my way.

Happy Mothers Day to you all ex-smoker moms!

tjanddj

How wonderful that you are able to care for your mom with such open loving arms. To give her the gift of a non smoking daughter is a beautiful gift.

elvan

Daniela,

What a beautiful post and what a wonderful tribute to your mother who certainly has earned one.  I think it is amazing that you are there for her, it is a beautiful gift to both of you!

JACKIE1-25-15

Lovely Blog.,  The seed was sowed.

TerrieQuit

Wonderful! Thank you for sharing!

I Won't Quit on my Quit!