cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Surgery in 11 days, Fever and chills last night and today

maryfreecig
4 53 436

Hi everybody. Thoughts and prayers welcome. I'm feeling dumpy as of last night, scratchy throat, high BP and pulse. Called surgery about this and they said call in two days to update. I guess this is one step then the next. But I am worried and bumbed. Digital hugs welcome--at least they are not catchy.

I remember smoking during times like these--right through everything. Not today. I feel like I smoked although I have not--a solid reminder of how it felt to smoke.

Grateful.

Thank you. Will update.    

53 Comments
Mandolinrain

Holding you in prayers my friend

YoungAtHeart

il_570xN.266648873.jpg

Feel better!

Thomas3.20.2010

Prayers going up for you, Mary,!!!

Christine13

Prayers on the way!

MarilynH

I'm sending you a humongous caring hug along with lots of good thoughts and prayers Mary I pray that you feel God's loving arms around you. ♥

bd3f8b7cb068eea76ff3956cf845a235.jpg

jonimarie

maryfreecig  Oh NO!.

Be well Prayers

Cousin-Itt

I hope you're feeling better  Quickly maryfreecig

ldh.jpg

SuzyQ411

Hugs 1.jpg Sending hugs and prayers maryfreecig‌. Hoping you'll feel better really quick! 

elvan

Oh dear, feel better soon.  Drink GALLONS of OJ and water...that's my cure for everything.  It's the only time I drink OJ, not sure why.  I so hope you recover very quickly.  Will be saying prayers for you, Mary.

Ellen

tjanddj

Prayers.

Barbara145

Take good care of yourself.  Keeping you in my prayers.

sweetplt

Lifting you up in prayer maryfreecig Mary....I am so sorry you are sick and before surgery...trust they will end up doing what is best...right now rest and fluids...and cyber hugs...Gotcha in my prayers dear lady...~ Colleen 

Barbscloud

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well.  Take care.

Barb

MartyO

Prayers and hugs!

marty

maryfreecig

Thanks for all the prayers and hugs everyone. Much appreciated. I am feeling better today--fever down to 99, energy and appetite better. One day at a time! Huh? Yeah.

MarilynH

elvan

Mary,

Please keep track of your temperature and how you feel.  What kind of surgery are you having?  I suspect that 11 days out, you will likely be okay but I would contact the surgeon to be sure that he or she knows.  You will heal much faster and more completely as a nonsmoker.  Thinking of you, sending more prayers.

Ellen

SuzyQ411

Ditto to what elvan‌ said about notifying your surgeon on this "episode." It's your best interests to do so~feeling sick.jpg

beazel

Sending prayers, a hug & good vibes!!!

maryfreecig

Hi Ellen, Thanks for asking. I notified surgery on Monday when I felt crappy, they said to call in a few days. Doing even better today as my energy is normal and appetite has fully returned. So has my sense of humor!!!! Am tracking my vitals a few times a day and temp has come down. Called surgery this morning. She said it seems we're good to go but that she will check with the anesthesiologist and call me back. Surgery is 9 days away and it seems that I'll be recovered by then. But if it can't be, it cant. 

I'm having a laparoscopic right hemicolectomy--and I need my health for that!!!

Thanks for checking in and for prayers. You rock!   

elvan

You DO need to be healthy but it really sounds like whatever was going on, you are throwing it off.  Please take really good care of yourself particularly between now and the surgery.  Will you have help when you come home in case you can't do everything for yourself?  

Prayers will be continuing and ramping up.

Ellen

maryfreecig

Poor me. Me, me,me. Flu A, no symptoms, all vitals good, lungs good. Surgery may be cancelled. And I feel like blaming and fussing. Could you pray that my attitude recover, Elllen. Love you, thanks for all your support. 

sweetplt

Sorry to hear this Mary...maryfreecig however, things have a way of working out...sending you get well wishes and a prayer...~ Colleen 458 DOF 

maryfreecig

Thanks Colleen, that helps.

Barbscloud

I had to cancel a hysterectomy many years ago because I got sick.  I had even donated my own blood and had to do that over again.  If you're anything like me, I wanted to get it over with.  Sorry if you have to reschedule.

Barb

maryfreecig

Yep and thanks. Have had a few minutes to think and now it's clear to me that I did go bullistic--overboard. Nice to be able to do that kinda thing here and get helping hands.

elvan

Nuts, Mary.  I was hoping you were going to just spring back.  The LAST thing you want to do is to have surgery when you are not healthy.  Hospitals are great places to pick things up and you need to be healthy BEFORE you get there.

I will ramp up the prayers and light a candle.

Ellen

SuzyQ411

praying for you.jpg maryfreecig  ~ Disappointing, for sure, and you are certainly allowed to go "ballistic"~ But, as elvan‌ wisely said : " The LAST thing you want to do is to have surgery when you are not healthy." 

Praying for your quick recovery, acceptance of what is, and a timely re-scheduling of your surgery~

indingrl

animated_1583512495803.gif

maryfreecig

Doc said get rest over the weekend, drink fluids and check in Monday. So I will. I've turned it over--it will be what it will be. Thanks for ramping up the prayers and lighting a candle Ellen.    Your encouragement has helped so much.

elvan

Mary,

I will really be thinking about you and praying for you.  I know what it is like to have surgery scheduled and to be afraid that it won't happen.  Is the surgery scheduled for Monday or does he just want you to check in and let him know how you are doing?  

Oh, I have LOTS of candles.

Hugs,

Ellen

maryfreecig

Prayers and candles must be working, Ellen. Began to feel better late last night, nice turn around continues today. My surgery is Thursday. If Doc approves on Monday, then I'll go in for my pre surgery blood work on Monday. All my vitals were good since Wednesday, but my appetite wasn't too good. Today it is! If the surgery must be cancelled for what ever reason, and rescheduled--I'll be OK. 

Thanks for listening.   

MarilynH

Huge caring hug coming your way Mary along with continued good thoughts and prayers for you. ♥

elvan

Will keep those prayers & candles going. Sounds like you are making a good recovery.

Ellen

SuzyQ411

Wonderful news maryfreecig‌ ! Have been tracking your health progress and am so happy to see how far you've come. Prayers for a successful surgery and fast recovery!!

maryfreecig

maryfreecig

Thank you!

maryfreecig

Thank you, SuzyQ!

maryfreecig

Nip and tuck? A flu test yesterday came up negative. And I do feel better!!! Surgery tomorrow--I show up at 6:30 for check in. Kinda nervous. Thanks for the prayers and hugs. I'll be out of touch for a handful of days, but will be back. Big hug to everyone.

sweetplt

Mary maryfreecig glad you are feeling better...will say a prayer all goes well...Colleen 

YoungAtHeart

Wishing the surgeon's hands be skillful, the nurses helpful, and the anesthesiologist vigilant.

Best of luck, too!

Nancy

indingrl

elvan

Will be saying lots and lots of prayers and lighting many candles.  Let us know when you can, how you are doing.

Hugs,

Ellen

DonnaMarie

Thinking of you and hoping for the very best outcome!

Donna

Mandolinrain

prayers headed up

Barbscloud

Wishing all the best for your surgery.   I glad you didn't have to postpone it.   Will keep you in my thoughts.

Barb

MarilynH

Thinking of you Mary I'm sending you a gentle hug along with lots of good thoughts and prayers. ♥

maryfreecig

And I am back!!! A little emotional, but back. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. It meant so much to me. And it is nice to come home to too! Felt better each day and now just two and a quarter days after surgery am pretty mobile but taking it easy and do have all the help I need. Dang life can be crazy dramatic  sometimes!!! Good to be back at Ex and thanks a million!   

Barbscloud

Such good news.  We can use some right now!

Barb

elvan

SO GLAD that you are making such a great recovery AND that you have all the help you need!  That's wonderful.

Thinking of you,

Ellen

About the Author
Quitter Version 9.25 Years smober as of January 9, 2023. Age 64. Yeah! Well I made it through some pretty tough quit-smoking tangles, and now am happily smoke free. But the start of my cigarette quit was not glorious. It could have been with some other version of me (maybe my younger self--20 something) taking the journey. But, I had to quit with the version that was available back in 2013. I could not wait until I was entirely sure that I would quit, or until I was entirely happy about quitting. I had to grab the willingness that came out of the blue one day in September of that year and run with it. And so I did. Nicotine addiction is a puzzling addiction. I've heard many say that they just can't stop (some of these folks have serious heart or lung trouble). It isn't the kind of addiction that leaves you plastered as with alcohol or other drugs--so that once you sober up, you realize how overtaken you were by the stuff. Nicotine works different than that. It co-opts your person, while at the same time allowing you to stay conscious and even alert. It's kinda like those science fiction tales in which an alien attaches itself to the spine of an individual...and she has no idea of the danger lurking within. You really discover how you've been preyed upon once you try to quit. Then the evil nature of the alien comes to the forefront making quitting seem like a horror rather than a rescue from horror. Some may argue that the smoker understands the danger. I argue the opposite; most smokers begin smoking by the age of 18, and have hardly had enough life experience to understand what addiction really means, and so they are overtaken by a force far greater than they can understand. By the time the smoker really wants to quit, the addiction has blossomed and grown in a most grotesque way. No one deserves this addiction. Maybe, someday society will finally do the right thing and ban the sale of tobacco, leaving it up to the individual alone to grow, dry and smoke the stuff herself, though never allowed to sell it. I made it--as of today--but how I wish all smokers would find their way to quitting. https://quittinthesmokes.blogspot.com/