cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Struggling with my emotions...

kelly9
0 15 36
Hi need some suggestions here. Today has been horrendous am really struggling with my emotions. Having lost two parents and the Will which is being disputed, tensions are high. I did have a healthy perspective on this (after a lot of therapy) but today that has gone right out the window and Im so hurt by the situation. I am coping with a tough situation but with the nicotine withdrawl it all seems unbareable. How long does it take to level out? Didnt pick up though... did feel a little suicidal at one point... 😞
15 Comments
JonesCarpeDiem

Please remember that everyonme has 2-3 weeks of discombobulation. The nicotine is out of your body in 72 hours.

This is a mind game. When you've learned to live without smoking as an escape hatch you are free.

It is worth it.

KJay
Smoking now will just add more stress to your stress, so dont. You are also thinking and feeling things with a brain adjusting to no nicotine and more oxygen. I bet too that your sense of smell is waking up again. So enjoy the reawakening for what it is, healing. And, finally, Champix/Chantix ( US name ) has a depressant effect on some patients. Drink lots of water and get some extra sleep. Keep stacking the smoke free days Kelly. Kjay
Pops
Kelly, Hang in there, you're right to come here and vent. Having difficulties during the beginning stages, is inevitable. However, suffering is optional. Understanding the addiction and how long it hangs on is ultimately dependant on your "quitattitude" If you anticipate misery, then you will most likely be miserable. However, if you anticipate a lessening of the intensity, then you will soon be able to see and feel real progress. Please read alot, and blog alot. Someone is always around. Just title Help in your blog, and the community will respond. Pops
plug66

don't give up the fight.....you can win

YoungAtHeart

Smoking will not change your situation for the better -you know that.  Just get your mind on something ELSE.  Go for a walk, play a computer game, do a crossword or work on a jigsaw puzzle, take slow/deep breaths.  Life is always going to happen; it's how you respond that tells the tale.

Finish what you started - don't smoke!!!

Nancy

maryfreecig

Take a deep breath. The tricky thing about addiction is that when you try to leave, the addiction calls you back. The reasons seem so plausible...'I'm going crazy, I can't handle this, It's just too hard..." and so on.

But in quitting, you will not stay overwhelmed, you won't go crazy and it is not so hard that the challenges cannot be faced without a cigarette, or two or three, or four, or a pack or a pack and a half and the same tomorrow and then the next day. 

If you do not smoke and you keep on quitting, you will come out the other side. There is more to quitting than feeling horrible. Stay busy--set aside the "reasons" to smoke --take the stress off your plate and chunk your duty down to one thing--not smoking just for today. 

Sorry for your loss.

carloprivitera

Kelly,

I'm really sorry for your situation but this has nothing to do with nicotine's cravings and smoking.

If you smoke, you won't solve your issues ... you won't feel better and your day won't get any better.

It's your mind trying to find excuses to get a cigarette ... 

Change prospective and try to think about what will really change your life and go for it!

Carlo

bonniebee

I don't know your exact situation but i can empathize to a degree having lost both my parents . My Dad was the last to go  and when he died our famiyl home had to be sold .Death brings out so many emotions and emotions are raw to say the least when grieving . I had to deal with my two sisters who seemed to go wacko at the time  ! That was 10 years ago and we eventulally worked things out but it was awful at the time . I was smoking then and it was difficult so I can understand how hard it is for you right now .

Please do not throw away your days of freedom you can get through this ! You came here to vent and that was very wise ! If you caved on this quit you would feel worse . Say to yourself, " I will not let "them" ruin my wonderful quit ! I don't do that anymore ! " Smoking will not change your circumstances !

Hang in there , stay Strong and carry on !!!

crazymama_Lori

emotions level off eventually.  give yourself 6 months.  These are trying times for you, but you'll make it through.  Smoking won't make them any better or even take them away.  Sometimes greed brings out the nastyness in people, if that's the case.  Deep breaths.  One day at a time

Stopforgood

Kelly you have five days completely Won, the nicotine is actually out of your system.  You don't want to repeat these early quitting days.  I am very new here too, and experienced similar emotional feelings, but they did pass.  You can also distract them.

Think back on your words posted earlier today....  "Today feels a little easier as I will just repeat what I did yesterday.  My body feels lovely and warm with all the blood circulating and I can really feel the air going into my lungs."    

Now just concentrate on that feeling, relax your entire body, and take deep breaths and enjoy that new fresh air going into your lungs. Take your dog for a brisk walk, feel the fresh air, and continue deep breathing.  Read the blogs, particularly the elders and learn what to expect in next days and weeks.  You can do this!   Prayers, Jim.

shashort

HI Kelly been running all day and just seen this. I hope you are feeling better and didn't cave. Find some relaxing things to do when stress is high.  I like to exercise as it is a stress reducer and crave buster a 2fer and I don't know if you are a bath person, but in my early days I would take hot baths and relax and let everything go. I used candles, dimmed the light put on some music and soaked the stress away.  Another thing I did was bought an adult coloring book and color pencils and markers and color myself into calm. You CAN do this!! It takes time. Hope your doing better.

MePlus3

I agree with all the great advice above. I've dealt with a similar situation when I lost my husband. I now find everything I need in my quit it's the one thing in my life that I have control over and the victory of overcoming obstacles without smoking is a wonderful feeling. You can do this Kelly one moment at a time.

Thomas3.20.2010
If you wait to quit when life is not stressful pass away first! This is a great time to protect your quit! I can't begin to know what you're dealing with but I do know that smoking will make nothing better! Take pride in your quit! Sometimes it feels like that's all we have!
Giulia

"I am coping with a tough situation but with the nicotine withdrawl it all seems unbareable.'  That's your addictive brain talking at you.   Tough situations are going to occur whether you smoke or not and the "excuse" is that with the nicotine withdrawal it all makes it worse.  So the "I need to smoke" excuse rears it's head louder.
For most us "tough situations" occur all the time.  Some obviously more tough than others. But - so what?  You've made the commitment (no matter what) or you're going to wait until the time arrives that there's zero hurts in your life  And frankly - that's ain't gonna happen. Well, in my life experience anyway.
Wills create emotional distress within families unless the whole family knows, up front, what’s going to be given to whom.  Kelly - did your parents love you?  Did you  love them?  Does who gets what really matter, ultimately, based on that emotional knowledge?    Some people are motivated by what they can "get" out of life, some by what they can give.  I would guess that those who contest a will think they "deserve" more.  Whatever the case, for them or for you  - it's not a soul nourishing pursuit.  And neither is smoking.
How long does it take to level out?  That depends on how much power you give to the addiction in your head.  Accept the journey and the rite of passage, and you’ll level out emotionally much quicker.  Contemplate the temptation - and you’ll struggle forever.  

Silverstar

Hi, Kelly, sorry to be so late responding, but I do want to let you know that crises can be managed, even in the early days of a quit, without smoking.  I have not smoked in 58 days, and I have sometimes been on an emotional roller coaster, came here and whined and cried about it sometimes, got a lot of support and encouragement, practical tips and advice, and reality-checks, too - smoking would not change the thing that was upsetting me, just make it worse because I would have thrown away my freedom.  I told myself that I would not smoke, no matter what, and that I don't do that anymore, and I am so glad I didn't listen to the lies this addiction tells us.

You can do this, please keep posting and let us know how you are doing.  There will be good and bad days, but even the bad are better when we don't have to smoke.  Don't Quit on Your Quit!