cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Staying Quit

Cbefree
3 11 214

I haven't been on the site for several days & feeling a need to type this morning. 78 days definitely in the no woman's land for few weeks now, looking forward to day 80, liking the turnover to the next 10 days. Still struggle with the finishing tasks cravings, watched closely on Friday after a big thing was finished. I believe you all that "practicing" the getting through it will get easier.  It's just such an odd mind f**k (sorry can't think of a different way to say this) that I've commented on before, the feeling I've already failed, that I already have that cig in my hand, experiencing the "romance" of that drag, at the same time the disappointment of having failed. So all of this is happening at once, it's intense, it's confusing, the waves kinda take my breath away. I know I wouldn't be here at 78 days without this site. The tools, the support, the knowledge, the not feeling so alone, the writing, reading your blogs is always uplifting at the same time down to earth, because the reality is we are doing something so big.....be well on this perfect smoke free day

ps: all the snow pics were so fun, haha thinking/romancing actually living in that environment

11 Comments
YoungAtHeart

I remember one of my most difficult days was around 108/118 (?) - hard to remember after so many years.  But I remember thinking about that "just one" a lot and feeling as though this quit journey was never, ever going to end, that I was NEVER going to stop thinking about smoking.

Like you, though, I had read about No Mans Land, knew what to expect, so it had no power over me.  I blogged "Help", an elder came to my rescue, and here I am almost twelve years later.

AND - I NEVER think about smoking except to romance it every once in awhile!

😁

jonimarie

@Cbefree A BIG hug for 78days!!!!!!

I try not to think about it much and thus far lucky to get my mind off of that just one with some ease. I am a walker and blessed to have a big woods out back. So I do a lot of walking when I get the urge. Nature has a profound affect on balancing me and discovered that years ago and has been my saving grace. As well as this site. We are so lucky to have it.

It is an emotional addiction. That urge for a puff takes us mentally to a place we have no business going and brings up self-esteem issues that need not be there unless we invite them in. The key is to believe you are worthy of all you are and want to be.

Thank You for your blog today and remember you are not alone in this

biscuit9

I knew if I started smoking again, I would want to quit AGAIN.  I wasn't willing to go back to Day 1, EVER.  So, I trudged on, refusing to take another puff.  I still refuse to take another puff cos I don't want to quit AGAIN.  Quit day 554 and counting.  You made your decision and you made the right decision.  It's the nic monster that tempts you.  By now, you already know smoking changes nothing.  Nicotine does not enhance your life.  By now, you understand how you got "played" by this addiction.  

78 days being free from nicotine is amazing.  Cherish your quit and don't forget how powerless you USED to feel.  Stay strong grasshopper.  

McMoney

I had a rough day around day 75..... 

Struggling with the finished task craving: you need a new tradition so to speak. My personal go-to was Jolly Rancher candy. I feel like I tell everyone this but it totally worked for me. I would have a piece of candy and do a quick sudoku puzzle. Occupied my mouth, my hands, and my brain for 5 or 10 minutes. There are many ways to make this same thing happen using other tools. I imagine a glass of ice water and 15 jumping jacks would have the same effect. Find what works for you. 

Eventually, that craving will go away but it will go away faster if you replace the habit with something else. And forget the romance.  As soon as you catch yourself thinking it would be NICE - remember it's disgusting, remember it is slow suicide, remember it is not pleasurable at all to be chained to a stinky ashtray. Rewire those thoughts; do NOT let that illusion draw you back in. You can see clearly and you know when you wait it out, you win again!  Keep your momentum going. You are doing AWESOME!!  McMoney_0-1701366778467.pngMcMoney_0-1703188126593.png

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Cbefree Congrats on 78 days quit, that's a major accomplishment! I'm so glad to hear that this site has been helping you in your quit journey. Things may be rocky now but you'll feel so much better for staying the course.

And here are a few other resources that might be helpful to check out:

https://www.becomeanex.org/ex-resources/about-quitting/stay-quit/just-one-cant-hurt/

https://www.becomeanex.org/ex-resources/about-quitting/stay-quit/how-do-i-handle-my-smoking-cravings...

Remember, you got this!

- Danielle, EX Team

YoungAtHeart

And maybe understand, too, that a puff after you have been quit for awhile will resemble that first puff of your first cigarette many years ago, not that experience right before you quit!    Remember that?  That feeling that your throat, esophagus and lungs were on fire - in fact on FIRE? And then the gut-wrenching, almost bringing up a lung coughing that followed, along with the burning from THAT?

I remember it well!  I hope you do, too!

Nancy

Barbscloud

@Cbefree Congrats on 78 days.  The task completed reward can definitely linger.  It still hits me at times.  When I'm taking a break, say from working in the yard, I get on the Ex for a few minutes and do some reading/responding.  Stop by a little more often if you're having a difficult time.

Supporting other quitters is a great way to support your own quit.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

Cbefree

Woohoo here I am at day 80, wish I was good at finding all the memes because this post would be full of fireworks and hands clapping and pats on the back.....this is different today, I'm in a celebratory mood I haven't allowed this spirit to happen the last almost 3 months....almost 3 months this is crazy only 10 days away.....wow so excited, going to go pull some weeds before the rain starts

Thank you all for the support from day 78 post, it was a bit of a dark day....

Barbscloud

@Cbefree So happy for your success.   Do something special for yourself to celebrate.  You deserve it.  Here comes the fireworks, hands clapping, etc.

Barbscloud_2-1701361140062.gifBarbscloud_0-1692190407511.gifBarbscloud_0-1675084293932.gif

Barb

biscuit9

@Cbefree   What a difference a day or 2 can make.  Just glad you gave it a couple more days so that THIS feeling that you have now, can be your reward.  I recall difficult days or days when I wasn't necessarily happy about my quit, but the next day I WAS happy about my quit and how good I was feeling.  I learned not to let my "feelings" be my guide.  You are doing so well!  Keep growing and learning about yourself and allowing your body to heal.  You are on the right path.  Congratulations on quit day 80.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

So happy for you @Cbefree  on 80 days! So proud of you! 

Quiana, EX Team

About the Author
Recently retired at 69 which means I've smoked for over 50 years! Serial quitter like many of you, this time it's different. I've never had an opportunity to stay this present in a quit. In reading old posts of mine, I welcomed feeling everything & do I ever! All feelings are heightened good/bad/indifferent. I've lived in the Sierra foothills since 2003, very happy to be retiring here and be addiction-free.