cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Our Dear Elvan

YoungAtHeart
8 39 778

Our dear friend is in her final days, surrounded by her loving family and cherished kitty. 

D@mn Big Tobacco.  D@mn them.

Nancy

39 Comments
Barbscloud

@YoungAtHeart So sorry to hear that.  What a nice person.

Barb

biscuit9

@YoungAtHeart  I understand your anger Nancy.  Happy to hear Elvan is surrounded by loved ones.  So very sorry to hear. 

🥀

jenking

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I will keep her and the family in my prayers today as the transition happens. Hugs.

AnnetteMM

Dear, dear Ellen. What a treasure. Thank you, Nancy, for being her voice for us right now.

green1611

@YoungAtHeart 

My sincere prayers for Ellen ! 

What happened due to NicoDemon.... so sorry to read it.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Saddened to hear about this impending loss. Ellen is one of a kind.

Megan, EX Team

SuzyQ411

Thank you @YoungAtHeart  for sharing this important but very sad update with us regarding @elvan . Ellen has sufferred for a very long time now and although I will really hate to hear of her eventual passing, I will feel relief. She will always be remembered and cherished. Prayers to her family and also for her gentle passing.  🙏

JonesCarpeDiem

We miss you Ellen.

God is waiting to welcome you without your mortal afflictions.

SuzyQ411

@JonesCarpeDiem  What a tender message to Ellen. Thank you!!

biscuit9

@JonesCarpeDiem  🙏 Such a better place.  No tears, no more suffering.

Christine13

@Elven

My Dearest Ellen,

I would call but I know it's time for you to be with your family and your dear kitty.  You were such a good friend to me.  You reached out, I reached for you, when you lost your beautiful home in that fire.  You did not smoke over it.

I've always admired your courage and your strength.

I loved you then, and I love you now.  I will miss you terribly.  Soon, you will be allowed to rest your weary body.  your angel soul will be watching over your much loved family.

Be at peace Ellen.  You have my heart.  I will remember your kindness and support, and our friendship.

I Love you. ❤️  Christine13 aka Chris

MarilynH

My heart is with you dear sweet Ellen! 💞 Be at peace! I have no words right now! 💞

maryfreecig

So wish Ellen a peaceful leaving after suffering for a long time. But Ellen came here and gave as much as she could everyday for as long as she could. There is no forgetting what Ellen has given. Her blogs are here for any of us to read. Love you Ellen. Thankyou.

YoungAtHeart

Her struggles and pain are over.  She died this morning.  My heart is broken.  The world is dimmer with the loss of her light.

Nancy 

Cousin-Itt

I read this yesterday and really didn't know how to respond.

Ellen always posted with kindness and sincerity in her heart.  Ellen's Family and friends lost a loving caring person.  

Ellen you will be missed here on earth as the heavens above gained a loving caring women.    

Barbara145

Came here checking on her.  I feel the loss of wonderful Ellen in my heart.

SuzyQ411

broken heart.png

DEAR ELLEN...

sweetplt

Oh My I am so sorry to hear of Ellen @elvan being in her final stages of life.  She is one of the kindest people here at Ex's.  In my early days quit her support, honesty, and being a true blue person meant the world to me.  She has dealt with so much these past several years...so for you Dear Ellen and her family I pray for comfort and peace in the arms of God.  I am so sad.

@Barbscloud Thank you Barb so much for emailing me.  You are a gem to this site.

@YoungAtHeart Nancy thank you for always updating us on Ellen these past years.

My heart aches, so many lost to addiction.

~ Colleen 

Barbscloud

My heart goes out to Ellen's family and everyone on the Ex that she supported on our quits.   I doubt I'd be here now if it wasn't for her unending kindness and support. 

In loving memory of such a beautiful soul.

Barb

maryfreecig

Ellen paid it forward. She's in our hearts. Not goodbye, just thank you.

JonesCarpeDiem

Be at peace Ellen

Close to God

I'll make cookies

to bring along

sweetplt

Ellen @elvan will always be remembered in my heart for helping me so much during this journey.  She was a great role model of always “paying it forward”…Pay God hold her close…~ Colleen 

Giulia

Ellen was perhaps the kindest, most loving person to grace this site.  She enriched so many of our lives.  And she struggled for so d&mn long.  And she had the strength to carry on.  DESPITE all the hardships she went through.  To keep a quit after your house burns down with your three cats in it?  I don't think I could have done that.  She is an example of courage, strength, perseverance and love.  She is one of the Best of EX.  God bless you Ellen.  May "flights of angels sing thee to thy rest."

DavesTime

I have been wondering how she was doing, and have known that she was really struggling over these past couple of years. She has made such a difference for so many of us, and she helped me get through some hard times more than once. What a dear, giving person she has been! I pray that she may be surrounded by peace and hope, and that she is not suffering. God bless our dear Ellen!

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Our hearts are broken to hear this. Sending light and love to her family and you all. Keep your memories of her close. 💓

~Margaret

Strudel

Oh Nancy - This is such a terrible loss - of a very special friend and of one of the best warriors who helped people here! She was such a lovely, sweet woman. So, so sad….. 

Giulia

A couple of pictures of our friend....

2015 Ex Reunion

2015 Ex Reunion2015 Ex Reunion

2019 Ex Reunion... look at that, she has a halo. Never noticed it before.

2019 Ex Reunion2019 Ex Reunion

SuzyQ411

@Giulia  Thank you so much for sharing these. I had never seen her. I'm happy you have them. Oh my goodness-- halo; yes!!

Patrick1234

Sounds like a great woman,  she is at peace now with god. Pray for her and all that loved her 

biscuit9

I heard this song on the radio today and I thought of all the angels that God has taken home. I did not know this precious soul named Ellen, but this is for her.  God has taken another angel home. 

Ray Charles & Willie Nelson

Seven Spanish Angels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1g36CXfQ00

SuzyQ411

Thank you @biscuit9 . Allowed me a much-needed cry for Ellen.

freeneasy

Glad I got to hangout with her a bit and have an ice cream in Virginia Beach  Good bye Ellen glad our paths crossed a couple of times thanks for all of your contributions here.

YoungAtHeart

"Ellen was the light in every room. She was the best of us, and she will be so missed."

From the obituary in her hometown newspaper.  They captured her perfectly. 

file:///C:/Users/nancy/Desktop/ELLEN%20HOPKINS%20_%20The%20News-Gazette.html

DavesTime

Here is the link to Ellen's obituary. What a wonderful tribute!

https://www.thenews-gazette.com/content/ellen-hopkins

SuzyQ411

Thank you so much for posting this @YoungAtHeart . Weren't we just blessed to know her? ❤️

YoungAtHeart

@DavesTime 

Thanks for the link!  

YoungAtHeart

I just found out that Ellen's daughter, Carson, wrote the obituary.  She did a magnificent job, didn't she?!

❤️

Christine13

Oh, @YoungAtHeart Yes, indeed a beautiful tribute to Ellen, that encapsulated, every facet of her heart strength and love.

Ellen was a proud woman, very independent, who wouldn't get help until absolutely needed.  I looked up to her in awe.  I truly would not be two years quit if she and other people here  never gave up on me.  When she found out I found sobriety as well, she was doubly pleased for me.  We used to write daily, until, life took over, I got sick she got sick, and I had to step away from the EX site.  I loved Ellen like a sister.

She will be missed greatly.  @YoungAtHeart  Thank you and to all who posted here.

Chris

SuzyQ411

@Christine13 You are no longer a "serial quitter" and I am so proud of your accomplishments! And I am thankful for the huge part that Ellen played in this. As a natural helper, Ellen's legacy lives on.

About the Author
I smoked until a vascular surgeon informed me of the damage I had done to myself by doing so. I quit 11 years ago, and I can swim laps virtually FOREVER now, walk most other days 40 minutes to an hour and a half. What a difference quitting has made in my life! I strive to help others find this wonderful freedom from addiction, too.