cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

One of the very best!

Strudel
5 16 419

We received word today from @YoungAtHeart that our dear Ellen - @elvan passed away this morning. I realize that many people were blessed to know Ellen as an incredible force here - helping all of those who read her blogs and comments. She hasn’t been here very much during the past few years due to her health. She had been quit for over 9 years - and for most of those years she shared thousands of wise and encouraging words.
However, some of us also had the amazing experience of meeting Ellen in person at some of the EX reunions we have held through the years. She was so very special! Sweet yet fierce - and so kind. Always smiling - despite the pain she was in. I want to share some pictures I have from those gatherings….you will notice her beautiful smile in each and every picture! 
Ellen was an incredible woman and she will be greatly missed! Love you dear friend!

IMG_0152.jpegIMG_0151.jpegIMG_0446.jpegIMG_0154.jpegIMG_0153.jpegIMG_0157.jpeg

16 Comments
DavesTime

Thank you so much for sharing these--and for your wonderful tribute. I never had the chance to meet this angel of a woman in person, and I sure wish I had. Aside from her wise words and straight talk and encouragement, she looks like she was a lot of fun! She is a big part of why I am quit today. Rest in the Savior's love, dear Ellen!

Jennifer-Quit

Good memories - thanks for sharing!  

Sootie

I saw this on fb and my heart just broke.

She was a wonderful person and a good friend. Thanks for sharing these pictures @Strudel  They bring back so many memories!!! Good ones.

May she rest in peace and may all of us keep her alive with our stories and memories of her.

Barb102

Oh Sootie what a dear sweet woman Ellen was and will always be!  We became friendly on the site  But we became friends after the Virginia reunion. I was blessed with her friendship. We talked and texted all the time. In March we both got very Isick and we both hospitalized. We spoke when we got home. SHE was encouraging me. That was our Ellen. May God hold her until we meet again. I really loved her and I’m heartbroken 

Barb

MarilynH

Thank you Kathy I never had the privilege of meeting our sweet Ellen in person but yet I considered her a very dear friend! I remember on the 1st platform back in 2014 in the early weeks of my quit where Ellen and I would chat back and forth about our quits and anything and everything until 11 pm and sometimes even later than that! I remember when her home burned when her dear cats perished! Oh my plus her health and her husband's health she had a heart of gold and she'll be missed! 💞

AnnetteMM

Thank you so much for these! I remember those reunions, and am so sad I never got to attend one. Everyone was so good to me in those early days, and Ellen was especially kind and giving.

maryfreecig

"She was so very special! Sweet yet fierce - and so kind."

Thank you so much for posting more of Ellen's life. And so true, sweet but fierce. 

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

What a tremendous loss. Ellen was truly one-of-a-kind. I had the opportunity to meet her at the EX Live meet-up in Virginia Beach; we sat together at dinner on the river cruise and she was so genuine and kind, inquisitive and witty. I was several months pregnant at the time, and she even reached out to me around my due date to see how I was doing. Sending love to her family, and hopes that her memory will always be a blessing for those who knew and loved her.

- Megan, EX Team

YoungAtHeart

What wonderful memories!  Thank you for sharing these!

Nancy

freeneasy

I was impressed when she came here. She was so active from the beginning blogging and commenting. She offered kindness and understanding. I was happy to meet her in Nashville (2015) and to  see her in Virginia Beach in 2017. She had many struggles to deal with. RIP Ellen I miss you as so many in this community do.

Brenda_M

Just saw this, because I hopped on after realizing my anniversary was a couple weeks ago. My God, I am so sad to hear this, but I do know her health had been failing for a long while. I am glad she is pain-free now. She was an absolutely beautiful woman, inside and out. Spunky and clever, strong and determined. I miss her. 

Giulia

Thanks for putting these up Kathy.  Nice memories.  She was always so encouraging and full of love.

SuzyQ411

Thank you so much @Strudel  for posting these fantastic pictures of Ellen. I hve never met her face-to-fce but we messaged back and forth for a bit before she became bed-ridden. I feel like I knew her. Sad loss. Do we have access to any of her posts by any chance?

YoungAtHeart

@SuzyQ411 

Her profile page and content right here: here:  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/34054

SuzyQ411

Thanks, Nancy. Will do some reading tomrrow. May be too sad to read very much but feel called to touch base with her. ❤️ 

sweetplt

Hi Kathy @Strudel Thanks for sharing, she was so beautiful … you couldn’t have met Ellen and/or corresponded in email/Ex’s and not feel her touch your Heart…She will be missed, but she will always be remembered…

Hope all is well with you…Colleen 1750 DOF

About the Author
I live in Greensboro, North Carolina. I have 2 cats - Monet and Holly. I retired from teaching special education in 2004 and then taught part-time until 2013. I quit smoking on June 12, 2010 after smoking for 40 years! I am amazed daily - still - by the glory of freedom!