cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

My Story

TheOldGoat-Joan
6 28 447

I was born in 1927 to a coal miner back up in one of the hollows of West Virginia. I had sporadic schooling at best.
I had my first cigarette when I was 10 years old. We rolled our own since "tailor-mades" were so expensive. Nobody ever said anything about us youngsters smoking back then.
I was married when I turned 12 to a young man named Jim. He was 21. He worked the mines with daddy.
I was expecting my first child when there was an explosion at the mine. My man and daddy both were killed that day. I was 13 then.
Momma and us girls took in odd washing and sewing.  I had a son 4 month after the explosion. He only lived a few hours.
I got married again a couple of years later when I was 15. Bob was a miner also. We had three boys and 2 girls over the next 8 years. In 1950 a coal shelf collapsed on Bob and crushed his chest. He was gone before they could dig him out of the rubble.
I married the last time in 1954. William worked in a factory. He was offered a position in North Carolina.
Two of my boys went to that war in Asia and were killed over there. Peter was shot and Jim Jr. was blown up in a mortar attack. I still don't like wars.
David, Mary, and Elizabeth all married and moved away. They gave me 7 grandchildren between them.
David was killed in an auto accident in 1978. A drunk driver hit his car head-on. His two sons were with him and died also. I still have his little girl to treasure when I get to see her.
William died in 1994 of Lung Cancer.  They told him he had it in March and he was gone by September. That October I stopped smoking.
I didn't have any gums or such. I just stopped. Every time I thought about smoking a cigarette, I thought of my dear William and lost that thought quick.
After a bit, I didn't miss the smoking as much. Over the years it has become a habit to remind myself that those things are the killers that took my dear William.
I met Larry a few years ago at the market when he was here in his truck.
My girls got me a computer and taught me how to use it. Larry called me and told me about this site he found after he had his surgury. He thought maybe I could help others if I came here. He is the one that suggested I call myself The Old Goat. I kind of liked the thought since I was so old.
I live alone now. The girls come visit when they can, and some of the neighbors stop in a lot.
Since I am now close to 88 years old, I get tired really easy. The damage to my lungs doesn't help much.
I think that is enough about me. I didn't ever mean to get so long-winded about all this stuff.
Please take advice from this old woman and keep those killer sticks away from your face.
Take care of yourselves.
Joan

28 Comments
AbasKid

What a life you have had and have managed somehow to Thrive. Thank you for sharing your story. It tugged at my heart and gave me courage at the same time. I'm just a youngster at almost 71---so I have a lot ahead of me yet!

Blessings to you

Chuck-2-20-2011

Thanks for sharing! There's a lot of people here who could use a little reminder as to why they quit, or why they should stay quit.

OldBones-Larry

Thank you for telling everyone your story. Be well my friend.

Larry

amanda_100

Wow! Thanks for sharing! I am so glad that you decided to come onto this website and be so encouraging to new people like me. Without this support, I couldn't have managed the past few weeks. So thank you so much for coming onto this site, and sharing your story.

cpsono

Thank you so much for sharing...blessings to you!  CP  I have 95 days of freedom from sickarettes!

Thomas3.20.2010

Thank You, Joan, for explaining your incredible life of joy and grief! You have shown all of us that no matter what smoking won't fix anything and quitting is possible! My condolences on your many losses, Joan! Your resilience has given you a long and prosperous lifetime of memories! Your story is priceless! 

Life does go on!

Barbara145

Oh my goodness.  What a facinating life.  You are amazing!!!  I loved you as soon as you said you were from West Virginia.  I am from Parkersburg.  My mother grew up in Ravenswood and my dad up in the country somewhere, I have forgotten.  He graduated from Glenville State teachers' college.  Nice to meet you.  Take good care of yourself.

Eric_L.

Hi!  Thank you for sharing.  Glad to meet you.

MarilynH

Thank you dear sweet Joan for sharing your story with all of us. I definitely plan on keeping and protecting my quit 412 precious smoke free days and counting. Take good care of yourself and thanks again for sharing. 

Marilyn 

TerrieQuit

Thank you Joan For sharing your story! You have definately had more than your share of ups and downs. I am a newbie. Your Story is very encourageing and inspiring! Thanks so much for sharing! Peace be with you!

Terrie  55  days

Jennifer-Quit

Thank you so much for sharing your very inspiring story.  You are a wonderful example of "it is never too late".  My Mother, may she rest in peace, was also born in 1927 and reading your story brought back some wonderful memories of her today.  Congratulations on your 20 year plus quit!

jonilou

Those things were the killers that took your dear William. How many of our dear loved ones are gone because of those killers! Thank you for sharing yourself and your story with us.

rosemarymom

Wow!  Your life could be a movie!  You have survived alot!  God bless you!  Thank you for sharing.

elvan

Your story is amazing, Joan, you quit all by yourself with no aides after suffering so many tragedies in your life.  Your schooling may have been sporadic but you have very clearly become educated over the years because your writing is compelling.  Thank you for sharing such a heart wrenching story.

I will keep them away from MY face!

ShawnP

wow! thanks for sharing.

lois2

you blog brought tears to me, you are such a strong Lady, thank you Joan for your blog.

JulieSw

Thank you so much for sharing your life story with us, you sound like an amazing woman.

rebeccaj.11-13-2014

Wow, thank you for sharing your storie. I really enjoyed   it and  found it very interesting . 

Sootie

Joan-------thank you for sharing your incredible life journey. You certainly have lived a TRUE life taking the bitter with the sweet. 

bonniebee

Sorry I missed this blog and you Joan. You had a hard life but made the most of it. May God Bless your soul and keep you with Him forever .

Mandolinrain

May this beautiful person  ( who wrote this blog)  Rest In Peace. Amen

elvan

OldBones-Larry‌ Thank you so much for sharing this blog...what an amazing life, what an amazing lady.  I do not believe I ever read this, I am really glad that you shared it now.  "Keep them away from your face."  

Inspiring...so glad that you two met and connected, how wonderful.

Hugs,

Ellen

c2q

When I was a young girl, I saw a mountain goat on a cliff in the Rockies, so high above me it was almost a speck. I was spellbound. I admire their sure-footedness, how they bound with delight at just being alive, how daring they are, and how they endure.

Thanks you for linking this post, Larry OldBones-Larry, and letting me meet this remarkable woman.

Joan, rest in Peace, you old goat.

Posamari

Such a remarkable and resilient person!

Thanks so much for reintroducing this blog.

Wish I could have met her.

karenjones

a great story. just keep them away from your face, for sure.

Sootie

I am always so happy when this story "reappears" in the blogs.......OldBones-Larry‌ usually will re-post it once in awhile. I love the simple strength in this woman. What a life she had.........and you hear no complaints or whining from her. She came to this site....after everything that happened to her......to help others. She has a special place in heaven I am sure. We were all so blessed to have her with us for a little bit of her incredible life's journey.

Barb102

Wow what an extraordinary woman. To have lived the life she did. She had such tragicies and still tried to help others not to keep smoking. I am so moved by her story. Thank you Larry for sharing her story with us. It meant a lot to me

Barb

indingrl

WOW thank you brother Larry for sharing Joan's beautiful amazing story. Saved MY peace of heart mind TODAY and YOU are so right MY BELOVED brother SOMEONE always has it worse off then ME- Thank you again for HELPING ME TODAY May 28 - 2019!

About the Author
Gone but Not Forgotten. RIP - they leave a legacy of their quit journeys behind as road maps for future members, to prevent the pitfalls, provide the tools and show the hope and possibilities for success at overcoming this addiction at any age at any stage. Older than I will admit to. Just an Old Goat helping out if she can. I gave up my death sticks Oct. 21, 1994. Joan