cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Makes Me Sad

Breakinchains
0 6 24

The other day I delivered some food to a customer who was hooked up to an oxygen tank. I didn't have to ask him if he would be home for his next delivery. Think about it. But the worst part was the overflowing ashtrays on the porch outside. Do yourself a favor, quit now before it's too late. 

6 Comments
Daniela2016

First, thank you for delivering food to those in need!

And thank you for the powerful image you painted in a few words!  

It made me think at the ashray I was leaving on the patio table.  I never emptied it right after I had a cigarette, just too risky here in AZ.  A former co-worker lost her home when she trew a cigarette butt in a fire pit outside, the wind took and blew it towards her home...

Mine looked a little like this one, except I was smoking Ultralights, so the filter was white...

Full Ashtray Royalty Free Stock Photo - Image: 29827255

YoungAtHeart

I was anal retentive when it came to my ashtray! I had a small bucket filled with sand.  I mixed baking soda in with it so it didn't stink.   I only let 2-3 butts accumulate and then I put them in aluminum foil and then in the trash.  You would think I also would have started thinking about what I was doing to MYSELF - but no such smartness was obviously available at the time.

So glad I FINALLY wised up.  Hoping it wasn't too late!

Nancy

plug66

boy does that ashtray look familiar...y u c k...

Giulia

Makes me sad too.  But we're doing what we can to help people quit.  I'm so glad I'm free of this miserable life sucking addiction.

elvan

Makes me sad as well.  The father of the friend whose pool I use is supposed to be on oxygen 24/7 but he refuses.  He still smokes IN THE HOUSE, uses oxygen at night. Recently had a pacemaker and an internal defibrillator put in.  His wife died last August and he made it very clear that he expected and WANTED to go first.  He has pretty much isolated himself since her death, refusing visitors, only going out when he HAS to for medical reasons.  I think that when he was faced with imminent death, he signed the consent for the pacemaker and the defibrillator and now he has what can only be described as buyer's remorse.  

MarilynH

Makes me EXtremely sad too especially now that I know quitting smoking is definitely doable when we're willing, determined and totally committed to succeed we can and will be successful, quit now before you are dragging an oxygen machine around with one foot in the grave! 

About the Author
I quit smoking on March 26th, 2009. I smoked a pack a day for 25 years. I quit because I began having health issues in my early 40's. I had a TIA and a stroke a few years ago. I work as a home delivery salesperson.