Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

LATE AS USUAL,...

lisagale58
2 6 17

Hello Fellow Quitters!

I am new to the community and glad to finally be here. I know absolutely nothing about writing a "blog" or how this site works in general but I'm going to stay here and learn as I go and continue to NOT SMOKE.

I am 57 years old and a couple of months ago I realized that I have been smoking - pretty much full time - for 44 YEARS!!! That amazed me and was the final "sign" that helped me make the decision to finally QUIT FOR GOOD.

I had to have some intense oral surgery on July 11th, 2016 (43 days ago). So about 10 days prior to that Monday I set my quit date as 7/11/16. I told my friends and put it on every calendar I own. I worked my way down to 3 cigs a day and two days before the 11th, I smoked 2 per day,...leaving one lonely cigarette in it's pack in my freezer about 10 or 11 pm Saturday night, July 9th. On Sunday morning, 7/10, I awoke early (for me) and went for a seriously intense walk (again,..for me) and kept myself very busy and sweating almost all day. I had two pretty strong urges to deal with that day and I got through them the best way that works for me,...another seriously intense walk. At 10 pm Sunday evening after I had gotten everything ready for my surgery trip the next day, showered and walked the dog called and confirmed my ride to & from my surgery, I sat out on my porch and very slowly and deliberately smoked that last lonely cigarette that was in my freezer. I enjoyed that cigarette more than I had any others for a long, long time and I went through a couple of serious emotions, the first of which was extreme sadness. I felt like I was saying goodbye forever to my very closest friend. It was a real WOW moment for me when I put that last cigarette out. I then walked out to my outdoor trashcan and threw away the last ashtray from inside my home. I caught myself quietly whispering the Serenity Prayer as I walked back into my home and went to bed.

I FORGOT TO MENTION TO WHOEVER MAY READ THIS - I ASKED FOR AND BEGAN TAKING CHANTIX EXACTLY TWO WEEKS BEFORE JULY 11TH, 2016!!!

So far, and sometimes just a moment at a time,..I've been completely NICOTINE FREE;.I haven't had even one puff from a cigarette, though I need to admit that I have a Blu e-cig with 0% nicotine (cherry flavored). I actually used that today for a couple of puffs. I've used it 6 or 7 times since I've been ncotine free. I don't know if that's a bad thing but it has kept me completely free from nicotine, tars, whatever other chemicals are in cigarettes, etc.

I'd love to hear from any/all of you that are trudging this same journey that I am, whether you've succeeded for a very long time or whether you're just beginning the journey to being a NON SMOKER!!!

Thanks for "listening" to my rambling and I'm looking forward to having some real conversations with you soon, if I can learn how to do that.

Lisa

6 Comments
kristen-9-7-15

Hi Lisa! Welcome to EX!

I personally have no problem with using an e-cig with 0 nicotine.  I used one in the beginning of my quit when I was desperate and about to blow it.  I will be a year quit very soon. Most of the credit goes to the EX site and myself, but the ecig saved my quit a few times. Some frown upon it but this is your quit and you do what's right for you.

Keep up the great work!

tjanddj

Welcom Lisa glad to have you here.

shashort

Welcome to the community Lisa. Congratulations to the decision to quit smoking and wow have already been doing it for 43 days good for you. This is a great place to come for support. Stay close and holler for help when needed.

maryfreecig

Thank you so much for sharing your story of your last days of smoking and your hopes for the future, and about your approach to staying off cigarettes.

I too tapered til the end, practised smoking less for a few weeks. I too felt pretty damn sad, and I missed smoking but I soldiered on. No Ecig, but I considered a 0% ecig to be something I'd try if I found myself going insane!!! 

Your quit is yours, and you sure sound extremely committed to carving a new smoke-free future for yourself.

Keep posting, your voice matters.

ex-smokestack

Congratulations, Lisa. I messed up my first 3 quits, (this time around).  I have since learned that my biggest problem was that my "want to" wasn't as strong as my "have to". This site and all the fabulous people here have helped me understand myself and once I learned that it was fear of losing "my best friend" that was holding me back the quitting was fairly easy, and has enabled me to make real friends.  Be sure to accept all the help you will be offered, it is invaluable. Right now, at day 19 of freedom, I still refer to Carr's book (on-line and you can find links on several sites) and try each day to read the relapse traps. With the help you find here even addicts like myself can make a smoke free life a possibility, after 20 years of trying, (on and off). Do stay tuned.