cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Just something I used to do

crazymama_Lori
1 13 312

So many new members joining again. It amazes me how many join the site and then just stop. I think they don't last because they don't take the time to read and learn. I researched all different types of programs for quitting smoking. There was the herbal method, the hypnosis, the e-cigarette, the drops. I can't even begin to tell you how much money I've spent over the years just to quit smoking. But you see, that's what I did wrong. I was quitting a habit. Something I was doing every single day sometimes without even thinking about it or even needing it. Years ago they would pound into your head it was the tar that was killing people. So they made these funky air filters and created these ultra light cigarettes. Basically smoking air, but with a few thousand chemicals and the drug thrown in there for good measure.

I mean, think about it, the patch wasn't available to the consumer until the early '80s. I remember trying that back then. It was marketed for “kicking the habit”. Did absolutely nothing for me, but then I didn't have any knowledge about addiction. How nicotine works in the brain. How we use smoking to replace things. Why it is so difficult to stop. No one gave me any reading materials or even directed me to any resources. Back then the internet was pretty sketchy and very slow. I called the 1-800 line that they gave in the little trial box they gave me at the doctor's office and it was a recorded message. I failed and I failed until finally in the '90s they decided to have more and more information about this thing called addiction. Pfft, that can't be me, I only smoked. That's for alcoholics and for drug addicts. That can't apply to me at all.

I researched and researched and found this site and read the materials they had on here while I was still smoking and failing on quitting and smoking and failing. Well, you know what, I never faithfully tracked my cigarettes AND completed the section about beating my triggers. My triggers would show up and boom, I was right back to smoking again. I can't tell you how many times I started and stopped in the month of December and most of January until I finally got the hang of it. They've got steps listed on here for a reason. You can't just magically decide one day, I'm joining this site and magically I'll quit smoking. There's work to be done here.

There's the first 30 days where you're crawling the walls, don't want to go anywhere, isolating yourself. The next 30 days you're angry, you're sad, you're sadgry (angry and sad all at once). You're tired and can't seem to sleep. You're pacing the floors. When is this ever going to end !!!!!! Then the lightbulb comes on and you start to reflect inside. You figure out some of your personal demons or issues. You start helping people. You still ponder in this time, and we've all done it and I have no clue why, if I try just one, it won't stick. I won't go back. Ah, yes, that happens before the first year. Well, that's just our addictive brains giving it that one last shot, one last time. We've all been there. The smart ones just smile and grumble nice try and go about their day. The unsure ones will obssess about it and remain having a stranglehold on that fleeting thought. The uncommitted ones will give in.

You see you have to commit to never ever smoke again because it will always be there. They stare at you in grocery stores, liquor stores, gas stations. They do that little can-can dance when you're checking out. I remember in those first 30 days just simply staring at those things. I would purposely go to another checkout lane so that I didn't have to look at them. I remember the first time they threw a carton in front of me thinking that was what I was in there for. It was like hot lava. Oh, no, I quit. Ah, the look in their eyes like yeah, right. 40 days later, hey, Lori, how's the no smoking going? Absolutely great, have almost a month and a half in. Instead of the tobacco section loving me, the bakery section became my best friend for a few months.

But to wrap up here, I remember when they would tell me it would get easier. I would roll my eyes and not believe them. I would grumble to myself, yeah, when. They would tell me to make it through NML (130 days or so), it will get easier. I'm a late bloomer. It took me until day 195 to finally feel normal, back to my old self. This you cannot rush. This you cannot take a pill and it will be gone in 10 days. This you have to take your time and learn from it, experience it, nuture it, beat the heck out of it. You have to learn that you are driving this bus. You are in control. You are your worst enemy. You are the one who will make or break this. If you really want this, you are willing to commit, you are going to stick by it no matter what it takes, you, my friend, will be an EX-smoker. It's just something you used to do.......

Tags (1)
13 Comments
Ed55

Word.

When SINAO really clicks in, smoking is just over and you know it. Unfortunately it is a hard concept to teach, you must want it.

diminsion

Lori, great blog. Thanks. I relate to all you said regarding first 2 months cause that is exactly where I am. Right now I feel fat but not so sad, still have insomnia. Of course still have a few cravings a day. But it is doable and I am committed to NOPE. Those first few weeks were pretty rough and I don't know if I would ever get the willingness to try it again if I cave. Looking forward to TDC and leaving NML. I love the quirks of this community. Fun Stuff. Thanks again, Linda

KMC56

Love you Lori...I visualize my brain with a separation. .that needs to be brought back in together...and S.I.N.A.O. works for me...like weeding a garden to make it whole again. At any rate...one day at a time.

Keeping it real one day at a time. 

Eric_L.

Smoking and a lot of things in life...  I've spent much time thinking about quitting, figuring out ways to manage, e-cigs, hypnosis counting smokes etc...   I've spent a lot of time, metaphorically, fishing on one side of the boat when I should be on the other side of the boat, metaphorically, taking the action steps of not smoking.  Say to myself I don't do that anymore.

You got this!

Giulia

You have to commit to never ever smoke again because it will always be there.

This you cannot rush.

You have to learn that you are driving this bus

If you really want this, you are willing to commit, you are going to stick by it no matter what it takes, you, my friend, will be an EX-smoker

Words of wisdom from somebody who "GETS IT!"  And into BEST OF EX it goes.

shashort

wow very awesome blog Lori. Wow you summed it all up perfect.  Must have been at my house seeing me climb walls, pace haha.  Actually very accurate with what I am going through.  I think you hit the nail on head about commitment.  Poor Giulia had to pund and ping commitment in my hear and then the ah ha light came on.  I get by with NOPE!! I don't do that anymore!  or SINAO is my 3 mantras.  Thanks everyone and again great blog Lori.

JonesCarpeDiem

if you won't commit to the proposition the things will get better at 130 daya you can never get to 195.  🙂

JACKIE1-25-15

Awesome Awesome Blog.  You have to commit no matter what. 

NewMe

Awesome blog, Lori. Very accurate description of the phases we go through before we start to feel more comfortable about quitting! And I guess some are quicker than others to pick up on the commitment and positive attitude thing, thereby having a little bit easier time of it. (not me, I'm commitment-phobic, and fought a lot of the concepts tooth and nail when I could have made things easier on myself). 

JustSharon

Some real tough love Lori and so early in my quit, I so appreciate all the information you gave. Thank you so much!

Thomas3.20.2010

Goooo, Lori! This is what BecomeanEX is all about!

You just made the Best of EX!

TerrieQuit

I finally felt free at about 7 months. I not trying to scare anyone because it is different for everyone. Every day when I got up I told myself that for today I won't smoke! It was tough but just for the day! I quit doing some other undesirable things using "just for today.........."

Great blog, Lori, and truly deserves to be the Best of EX!

Don't Quit on your Quit!

elvan

Lori,

This is a spectacular blog, you hit the nail(s) on the head.  This site offers so much to anyone who really uses it...I wish I had found it and really paid attention a very long time ago.

I was one of those people who came here and then left, I am not sure if I ever even posted anything but I think I came here in May of 2013 for the first time, I had done hypnosis and I was quit at the time, I did not stay quit, I came back again that Fall.  I SO wanted to quit but I wasn't really willing to do the homework and I wasn't really accepting any help or offering any either.  You really identified ME, and I suspect a lot of other people.

Great job, Lori, I agree with Terrie, this is definitely a Best of EX blog!

About the Author
Never be afraid or embarrassed about your "smoking thoughts" while quitting, they're there to remind us how strong we truly can be. Always remember, you will always WANT to smoke, but you have to CHOOSE not to. We can't break the ties that bind us without first changing the cycle that created it.