cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

It Appears I May Become A Foot Shorter

JonesCarpeDiem
1 31 514

I met with the C surgeon yesterday and she explained the surgery to me.

I must say the C word on the door caught me by surprise and raised my blood pressure.

They have to remove more than just the area concentrated around the polyp.

I have to get an abdominal CAT scan soon and then meet with her again to discuss further and set a date. 

She explained there would be some pretty bad pain for a week, then I would feel like I had been punched in the gut the second week. The third week it would feel like I had overdone something. Sure thing.

My experience tells me if they say 6 months to recover, it's really a year.

Not looking forward to this.

31 Comments
JACKIE1-25-15

Sorry to hear this news.  I will be praying for you.  Please keep us in the loop.  A whole foot?

YoungAtHeart

If they are removing a foot, I suggest you tie something around each of yours to be sure they know it's not really a FOOT they are supposed to take off.

Seriously, sorry to hear - does not sound like fun.

Keep us in the loop (pun intended - couldn't resist and hope it gave you a smile!).

Nancy

JonesCarpeDiem

Come "Cecum" Ca

RachelMB

Sending prayers your way.  Keep us posted.

Rachel

sweetplt

Oh Dale I am sorry to hear this news...you have my prayers...Have they scheduled the surgery ?  Keep us posted...Big cyber hugs Colleen

Barbara145

So sorry Dale.  I will keep you in my prayers for healing.

JonesCarpeDiem

I need the cat scan first. She projects meeting again the middle of October to schedule a surgery date so I'm guessing the surgery would be within two weeks of then. I imagine I can pre-plan eating a foot less Thanksgiving dinner.

constanceclum

I'm so sorry to hear this awful news!!! Just know we will be here with you through it All!

Jennifer-Quit

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers Dale.

MarilynH

Aaah Crap Dale I'm so sorry that you have to go through this, I'm sending you a humongous caring hug along with good thoughts and prayers for you......

Barbscloud

So sorry to hear this, but glad you had your test so this was caught and can be treated.    

Barb

Magstoyou

Prayers going your way!! Sorry to hear that!!

Christine13

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear this!!  You are in my thoughts and prayers Dale.

Giulia

Aw gee, that stinks.  Fortunately we've got a lot innards and can afford to lose a few inches here and there.  (I could lose a lot of outards around my belly!)  I guess the sooner you get it over with, the better.  Better to cut out the rotten part of the apple.  Really sorry you have to go through it.  Really sorry.

jonimarie

Dale Dale Dale....They say it is hard to keep a good man down. And you are a good man.

Prayers

PrimeNumberJD

My thoughts go out to you. This definitely sucks! You should ask if they can dip them in silver afterwards... you know,  for the silver lining! (Just trying to get your spirits up).

Sootie

I rarely miss a "Dale" blog....but I must have missed something here. In any case, I will go back and re-read things. Whatever this surgery is it sounds not so fun. I will be keeping you in my prayers. I totally agree with you that any sort of surgery takes much longer to get over than they first tell you. Take care Dale.

Strudel

I missed it too Dale...I am so sorry. Is it intestinal surgery? No matter what - you are more than tough and you will do just fine! We will all be pulling for you - including lots and lots of prayers! 

indingrl

Prayer lifted

elvan

I was checking quickly through blogs and saw this title and I KNEW it had to be you...I have apparently REALLY been out of the loop.  It sounds terrifying.  I agree that they usually tend to say recovery time will be less than it actually will be, they couldn't get ANYTHING done if they were completely honest.

Thinking of you and saying prayers for a swift recovery.
Ellen

MarilynH

I missed it too Ellen! 

Sootie

Thanks for the link Dale...don't think I would have found that on my own. So sorry you have to go through this. Do you have a date already for it? Good Lord....life gets tough as we get older. Take care. Keep us updated, you know we care.

JonesCarpeDiem

estimate of next meeting Oct 16 to set a date. Cat scan first.

YoungAtHeart
Giulia

Wow, Oct 16 to set a date.  Phew, that's a long emotional wait.  Re-focus my friend on the beaches and the pretty beach web cams that you so often, happily, pass onto us mortals.  

green1611

Praying for you..

No more words!

Get well soon.

aboyd63

I wish you the best for your CT Scan, Surgery and recovery.  You'll be in my prayers. Keep us informed how your doing. Your very supportive to me and I want to do the same for you.  God bless you.

Kboyd66

Praying for strength, peace, and comfort for you 

Daniela2016

Very late to find this, I am so sorry to hear it JonesCarpeDiem‌, but hear me out, my mom's brother had a similar small bowel resection about 15 or more years ago, in Romania where technology is nothing compared to here, and he is alive and kicking at 85.  Not to minimize what is coming your way, but to give you a similar perspective.

Hugs and love your way Dale.

Kboyd66

i hope you are having a good day and feeling better 

About the Author
Hello, My name is Dale. I was quit 18 months before joining this site and had participated on another site during that time. I learned a lot there and brought it with me. I joined this site the first week of August 2008. I didn't pressure myself to quit. HOW I QUIT I didn't count, I didn't deny myself to get started. When I considered quitting (at a friends request to influence his brother to quit), I simply told myself to wait a little longer. No denial, nothing painful. After 4 weeks I was down to 5 cigarettes from a pack a day. The strength came from proving to myself, I didn't need to smoke because I normally would have smoked. Simple yes? I bought the patch. I forgot to put one on on the 4th day. I needed it the next day but the following week I forgot two days in a row I put one in my wallet with a promise to myself that I would slap it on and wait an hour rather than smoke. It rode in my wallet my first year.There's nothing keeping any of you from doing this. It doesn't cost a dime. This is about unlearning something you've done for a long time. The nicotine isn't the hard part. Disconnecting from the psychological pull, the memories and connected emotions is. :-) Time is the healer.