cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Intro

JakeTrev
2 13 67

Hi.  I am new here.  I should have quit smoking years ago but, of course, I didn't.  I now have end stage COPD and the doctor has told me that if I don't quit, I'm dead.  This is a hard thing to do and I am trying.  I attended a quit class in my area and since May 9th, I have cut my cigarettes down to 1/3rd of what I was smoking.  I get a little nervous when I think about never having another one. 

Anyway, I am glad to be a part of this community.  I am hoping that with this site I can make it.

Thank you

13 Comments
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

It is best in the beginning not to think of never smoking again.  You do this in the beginning an hour or a morning/afternoon/evening or a day at a time.  You keep at it and eventually it WILL lead to forever - but you don't have to put that burden of intent on yourself at the start.

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind.   To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. I think you will look at smoking in a different light after you read it.  It's message has helped many here - including me!  Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested on this site

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. I do not recommend the e-cigarette for three reasons: 1) the vapor has been compared to the polluted air in Bejing on a bad day, 2) they just provide another nicotine delivery system while continuing the hand to mouth smoking motion, and 3) the batteries can spontaneously catch on fire. . But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around your head alone.  Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

mrscwats

You can do this!!!  Stay strong!!!

Eric_L.

I'm glad to meet you.

You can do this.

Bookend your days here.

You do not have to smoke.  The part of you that is telling you that smoking benefits you in the shrot term or long term, or your community in the short term or long term is false.

It is not sensible to smoke and you can succeed at quitting.

You do not have to be thouroughly competent, achieving and adequate.  You can just be you and learn how to slightly change your perception of smoking and interact with others on the same journey.

You can do this.

For today, when the thought of smoking arises, walk around it.  Say to yourself I don't do that anymore.  Change the channel of your mind.  Visualize holding a remote in your hand if you have to!

You can throw yourself into a sensible activity.

You can do this!

Giulia

Welcome Fellow Traveler.  We ALL should have quit years before.  It's a tough addiciton to overcome.  But overcome it you can.  We know because many of us have.  And if we can, YOU can!

I couldn't deal with the thought of never having another one myself.  So I just took it one day at a time.  Those days have turned into years.  Over 10 now.  And my thinking has turned  180 degrees.  Now I can't bear the thought of ever HAVING another one.  

Quitting is skill.  And as with any skill it can be mastered with study, hard work, perseverance,  self discipline and commitment.    Sit back and read.  The tools are all here.  And we'll walk the walk with you.  Chin up and have heart!

cpsono

One day at a time my friend.  Oh and stick around here...by doing so, I have gone 364 days without cigarettes.  I was more than a little nervous about never smoking again but by following the elders and the principles here on this wonderful site, I will soon be celebrating one year of being a non-smoker.  If I can do it, you can do it.  Just remember NOPE--not one puff ever and soon you will make it!  We all have your back.  I hope to see you around here!    CP

Mike.n.Atlanta

True, none of us quit when we should have.Train yourself to make the right decision as many times as needed during the day. Don't look too far ahead as that can become overwhelming. Just quit for the moment.

Please do the reading Nancy has posted above. Education will be key to your siccess.

Keep on keepin on,

Dotgirl_1-28-16

Welcome! Read, educate yourself about this addiction and prepare for your successful quit. You can do this!!!

Thomas3.20.2010

Ditto the above. 

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis but I want you to know that sadly you are in good company. Approximately 40% of our population has COPD. I have moderate COPD and joined here and quit smoking 6 days after diagnosis - in 2010! 

This Community showed me how to quit smoking for LIFE! They have been with me these last 6 Years through thick and thin! 

Rummage through my pages for COPD related Blogs. Ask questions and stay informed. You can find a Quality Life but it takes hard choices. Start with Smoking Cessation!

Thomas3.20.2010

http://www.hcplive.com/medical-news/bacterial-infection-may-be-true-cause-of-copd

Are you exercising daily? Yes, you certainly can!

Do you eat healthy nutritious meals?

Have you had your vaccinations?

Are you using your meds as instructed by your Pulmonologist?

TerrieQuit

Hello, and Welcome to EX! We are so glad you are here! This is a great place to quit smoking. You have been given links to great information and good advice above. Please do the readings and listen to the Elder's (folks with 1 year + quit) They know a lot about this addiction. Education, willingness to do whatever it takes not to smoke, determination and commitment are the keys to a successful quit!

I would like to recommend a group called The Daily Pledge Group. It's fun and will help reinforce your commitment not to smoke!

Just click on the link below and scroll down and take the person's hand before you and promise not to smoke! You can state your # of days, post a picture or whatever you want! This is your quit be proud of it! Please join us!

http://community.becomeanex.org/pg/forum/topic/8352460/mother-may-i-no-mother-i-will-keep-my-quit/

This link is also on my page.

Hope to see you there!    Terrie

I Won't Quit on my Quit!

If you would like to join the group, use the link below, and look to the left, there is a place that says join group, just click it!

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/daily-pledge

Ed55

Welcome to the site!

You CAN do this.  Get mad and determined and it may surprise you. Once you decide another smoke is not an option, you can almost observe the process as a 3rd party. 

Ed55

Welcome to the site!

You CAN do this.  Get mad and determined and it may surprise you. Once you decide another smoke is not an option, you can almost observe the process as a 3rd party. 

JakeTrev

I just want to thank all of you for your encouraging words.  You all know how difficult this is.  To be honest with all of you it is hard to picture myself without a stupid cig.  I want to stop, no doubt about it.  I can be doing so good and then, bam, I have to have one.  Everyone tells me to keep at it.  I guess that is the answer.  Today, I went 4 hours without one.  I thought that was great.  Usually, it's 2-3 hours.  So maybe I am getting better at it. 

Anyway, thank you all of the suggestions and reading.  I will stay on this site.  Thank you.