cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Injury Update

YoungAtHeart
6 26 363

As some of you may have heard, I fell and suffered four hairline fractures in my pelvis (the broad bone in the back of the hip area).  Spent a week in the hospital, checked myself out of the worst rehab place on the planet after a week.  I was fortunate that my daughter was able to come stay with me so i could come home.  The only "rehab" place that had a bed when I was discharged from the hospital was actually a nursing home masquerading as a rehab facility.  Awful doesn't begin to describe the place.  They actually should be shut down, and when I am feeling better, I may work on that.  If I had not been able to inspect my medications, only God knows what they would have given me.  Care was atrocious, food was worse, therapy was 15 minutes a day (only five days a week) in the room and consisted only of walking with a walker under supervision.  

Pain medication left me very ill - and happy I am now able to wean away from it. 

I have missed you all!  Glad to be back!

26 Comments
JuJuCFruit

Sounds horrible!  Glad that you are home! 

Ex_Nancy

Wow... hope you feel better soon bc that's a lot to handle but prayers for a faster recovery... Prayers of healing and strength and BIG gentle hugs!  ❤️  balloons.jpg

maryfreecig

Know I did not know, Nancy. Now I do. Thanks for the update. Yeah, for being home safe and secure. Will keep you in my thoughts. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Jennifer-Quit

Well, we have missed you as well. 

Sending good thoughts your way for a speedy recovery.

getwell.jpg

kristen-9-7-15

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I’m happy your home, Nancy!

Barbscloud

@YoungAtHeart Glad to hear you're home and safe.  Take time to heal.

Barb

WhispersQSMB

So happy to read you're back. Sorry about your Hip and i went through the rehab/nursing home situation with my mother. It's like they don't read the chart and give the residents whatever they feel like. Godspeed @YoungAtHeart 

JonesCarpeDiem

Glad to see you on this platform. You might want to use your walker for awhile.

PS

I bet their tapioca was terrible!

sweetplt

Nancy @YoungAtHeart 

You were so missed...I have been praying for you to heal.  However, it sounds like a nightmare...just glad you are home and can rest.  

Gotcha in my heart...and sending out some hugs...~ Colleen 

pastedImage_1.gif

MarilynH

It's soooooooo good to see you Nancy @YoungAtHeart I'm so sorry that this happened to you and that you have to go through all of this, I'm sending you a very gentle hug and a ton of positive vibes. 

iMarkup_20210420_203355.jpg

65a820b44c8f1c121b16fd207de611d8.jpg

Strudel

Nancy - It is so wonderful to see you back here! I can’t even imagine what you have been through....the rehab place sounds terrible. So sorry! Happy to hear that your daughter could come. PLEASE - be careful and take care!!! You have DEFINITELY been missed!  

Christine13

Oh Nancy, I am so glad you are outta there!!  Please be careful in the upcoming days and let your daughter heal you.

I've been in some nightmare places too in my life.  I want you to get better and better.

Hugs to you Nancy,  @YoungAtHeart 

DavesTime

Nancy, I'm glad you are able to be home, and pray that you continue to heal. That "rehab" place sounds like hell! Sounds like your daughter will be the nurse and helper that you need! Welcome back!

pmt

SOOOOOOOO Happy to know you are home and on the mend.  It's a shame some of the facilities that people have to stay in.  Took my mom "window shopping" I called it, about 4 years before she needed to go into Memory Care.  A couple of places we did not even enter the door, the exterior appearance and smell were enough to turn us away.  Checked them off our list.  Happy your home and your daughter is able to help out.  HUGS  

pmt  🐎

meWisconsin

Welcome back. The whole experience sounds terrible. Stay safe and mend quickly.

Terry😎

bacardigirl

Glad you got out of there, sounds useless to me. Hope you get well soon!!

Trisha76

So happy to hear you are home! Sorry about your terrible experiences and hoping that you will heal rapidly at home.

Brenda_M

My God, Nancy, I'm so glad you're okay. I actually am smiling a little bit at the thought of you telling that rehab facility where they can stuff your incorrect medications, and about the crusade to shut them down when you're feeling better. They will rue the day they messed with @YoungAtHeart

YoungAtHeart

@Brenda_M 

Did I mention that I actually told a nurse to "Shut Up?"  Rude, I know, but that particular waste of a nursing degree was not able to shut her mouth long enough - ever - to listen.  I was asking her what I could do not to wait over 4 hours for pain medication, and she started in on why it wasn't HER fault.  i tried to ask her why she thought it was, but she would not shut her trap long enough for me to ask.....so I asked, not so nicely, for her to do so.  I know they were not sorry to see me go - but I promised myself I would do something so nobody else had to be subjected to the horror of that place.

Stay tuned.........

Trisha76

I think the worst thing about these places is they take forever if you have to go to the bathroom. It is torture and so is not getting your pain medication when you need it.  When I was in Mary Greeley Medical Center in Ames Iowa in January my pain medication was too soon as I went down for my test but then five hours later they still had not given it to me and the only thing that worked is when I asked to talk to the doctor and And within 15 minutes I had my pain medication. It is so sad what people have to go through.

Trisha76

I will write more when I feel better but I had to have major surgery on Saturday morning when I fell vacuuming and broke my left hip. Hopefully on Monday I will be going to a rehab center for who knows how long and I have never experienced the surrenders pain and they do not have painkillers that address the pain. Just wanted never once thought about smoking and I’m in for a long haul just like you are Nancy

Trisha76

Oops mad some errors on this but I am allowed some mistakes as I’ve had a very long five days!

MarilynH

I'm sending you a humongous caring BUT very gentle hug coming your way @Trisha76 I pray you will get into rehab on Monday and  for a speedy recovery for you. 🤗💞

Maki

Oh no ! I'm so sorry to hear of both of your injuries and so hope you both get better soon . 

Barbscloud

@Trisha76  So sorry to hear about your injury and surgery.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Barb

Gail561

So sorry to deal with hair line fractures and a place that didn't give you proper care @YoungAtHeart. Glad your daughter is there to help you as you heal. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

About the Author
I smoked until a vascular surgeon informed me of the damage I had done to myself by doing so. I quit 11 years ago, and I can swim laps virtually FOREVER now, walk most other days 40 minutes to an hour and a half. What a difference quitting has made in my life! I strive to help others find this wonderful freedom from addiction, too.