cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

If smoking were my friend

Daniela2016
3 6 128

Many of us (at least us females) cried our eyes out at the beginning of our quit, because we

lost "our best friend".

If smoking were my real friend:

• it would have never let me cry so much without at least a hug; I did not get it, my arms were empty, my mind in despair, and the only "consolation" was to light up another one...
  • it would have told me long time ago: "your are heading to your early demise by one of the terrible disease I bring with me"  and now in retrospective, and after reading a lot about it: the fatty liver, diabetes, and Hashimoto's were if not 100% initiated, at least seriously helped developing in my body by smoking
  • it would have told me years ago: "if you quit, look how much money you can save; it will secure you the funds for a nice vacation every year"
  • it would have told me: "every time you step out to have one, in the designated area, visible from the executive management's offices, you put your job in jeopardy, you are being judged for being a smoker"; not fair, right, but true none the less
  • it would have told me: "there is life after cigarettes, and as a real friend I want you to be happy and healthy, so let go of me, do it now, while there is time, do it now, and have a happy, free, and healthy life"!

Have any of you smokers, or EX-smokers heard that from your "best friend - the cigarette", because

I DID NOT!

6 Comments
ahkhippiechic

That is so GOOD and so SMART!  Thank you. I am starting to think, in this LAST quit of mine, that about 99.9%of all the things I thought I “felt” were really just tricks my brain employed to try to get me to SMOKE.  From about day 11 (16DOF today) I have been extremely emotional and downright weepy.  Being mostly a hermit (I see people for my work, but otherwise NO!) I thought I was “turning” to smokes to “be with me” during times when I was thinking, taking a break, or just having some yuky feelings.  I am thinking now that is just ONE MORE LIE MY NOT FRIEND TOLD ME.  I was spending time with me and the smokes were tagging along.

My motto of 2017 is “I am the love I seek”.  Thanks for being an elder and blogging stuff to keep my focused on my quit!

bonniebee

Great blog Daniela ! So very true I used to think of my cigarettes as my best friend who had been through everything with me ! Yeah right  !!! If i hadn't quit it would be on my death bed with me just as it was with my Mom who died of cancer at the youngish age of 60 years . I actually held the last cigarette to her lips for that last puff before the morphine finally took her need for it away and the smoking addiction took her away from us far to soon !  I still smoked for years after and through my Dad's death too but he quit 2 years before he died and I was so very proud of him !

Some believe when your time is up it is up no matter what you are doing I used to think that way but now I believe that God gives us freedom of will and we choose what we are doing to our bodies. Even if you do not believe in God  ( yet ! ) it is simply common sense we are what we eat and what we Breathe ! 

I love this scripture and it was the main reason that brought me to where i am today ......Free !

Bible scriptures quit smoking.jpg

Daniela2016

You are very welcome, and keep in mind; if I am an elder today is because I was coming here every day last year, several times/day if I felt the need.  Please believe me when I say there is something here for everyone; my blog resonated with you, someone else's resonate with other newbies or elders alike.  This is an extremely heterogenic group, and as a group it holds so much knowledge, support, and dedication to help, that there is enough for all type of personalities, for everyone who wants to quit smoking.

Thank you for being here, keep focused, and little by little, accumulating days of freedom, you'll be way on your path to be an elder yourself.

johio

Great Blog.....

elvan

Daniela2016

This is a wonderful blog...the exposure of the WORST best friend EVER.  Addiction is a horrible disease and it NEVER has a good outcome if it is left to its own devices.  It is all about itself.

Hugs and love,

Ellen

Daniela2016

Thank you my dear!