cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

I'm just a big mess of human emotions and that's ok

Dotgirl_1-28-16
3 19 253

Last Sunday I reinjuered my back and was unable to get out and do the things I love to do, that made me angry and sad but also grateful that I have a home, a heating pad and a couch to heal. Last night was my first venture out, time to have fun, dancing with friends but I had to limit my time on my feet, that made me sad but happy I got to spend time with friends doing what I love to do. This morning I'm going to America's Hometown Thanksgiving Parade with my adult daughter, I'm just waiting for her to get back from the store, she had to go get cigarettes BEFORE we leave, that makes me very sad. I'm also very happy because I get to spend the day with my adult daughter having what she calls mommy/daughter time. She and I have had our struggles and I'm sure we will have struggles in the future but...just for today I don't smoke, just for today I can mind my own business and let her be who she chooses to be which is a smoker, just for today I can be an example of what life without cigarettes can look like, I want to be a good example, just for today I can be happy, sad, dissapointed, angry, silly, and every other human emotion that I at one time tried to not feel and hid behind a cloud of smoke, I'm not perfect, I make mistakes but today I'm very grateful that I can feel and with all these human feelings that I have, today I know I have a choice as to which feeling I choose to focus on and today I'm going with happy. I won't deny all these feelings, I asknowledge them and then I focus on what I like and let go of the rest. I'm wishing everyone a no matter where you are in your quit, you may be new to this site and just starting to read, you may  be thinking about setting a quit date, trust me just do it, you may have set your quit date trust me you can do it, you may be experiencing your quit day, trust me you can do it, no matter where you are in your quit congratulations, you're doing great! Today I took my morning pledge, thank you Terrie for keeping that group going and I jumped on board the freedom train, thank you Shawn for getting it started today and now....I am ready to face my  day smoke free, no matter what happens! Happy day to you all!

19 Comments
Silverstar

Dot, very uplifting blog!  I hope your back is much better, and that your mother daughter outing is everything you both need and nothing you don't.  You wrote:  "today I know I have a choice as to which feeling I choose to focus on and today I'm going with happy. I won't deny all these feelings, I asknowledge them and then I focus on what I like and let go of the rest."  I love this, your attitude is amazing and something I'm going to carry with me today.

Thank you for being here, and Happy Saturday to you, too!

c2q

This morning I read this wonderful post by the inspirational quitter Dotgirl, and I am happy too. Thanks. Glad your back is getting better. And thanks for spreading the word.

jonilou

Happiness is a choice. Thank you for this timely and wonderful reminder! Have a splendid day with your daughter!

bacardigirl

First, I am so glad to hear your back is on the mend, I know that it's difficult to be positive when you have so much down time, but you managed:)

Second, what a great blog - you are such an inspiration! You are absolutely right, we have choices. We can either choose to smoke or choose to protect our quit. We can choose to make the most of this beautiful day or we can waste it on negativity. Thank you for such an inspirational blog. I, like the others, choose to make the most of this day! Thank you for putting some sunshine in my day!

YoungAtHeart

I will choose happy today, too.  This life isn't a dress rehearsal - it's all we've got.  Why spoil it?

Nancy

P.S.  I can be happy knowing the d@mn wifi printer got set up!!!

Thomas3.20.2010

So glad you wrote this Dotgirl!

May your Day be fabulous!

Daniela2016

Thank you so much for taking the time to write today, and such an inspirational blog it is.

I really hope your back will support you properly during today activities.  Have a wonderful day with your daughter, these times are so precious, enjoy it fully!

KJay
Hi Dot girl Great, uplifting blog !Hoping you and your daughter have a great day in Plymouth 🙂 Kjay
Posamari

What a positive, supporting, and poignant blog! Ty! Have fun!

bonniebee

I am sorry about our back i no what it is like as i have lived with a bad back for many years now it seems once it is injured it never gors back to normal and as we age it can get worse the best thing I have found is to keep moving  !

So nice you get to have time with your daughter and I do agree with your approach of being a good examplerather then a nag . My adult daughter quit smoking at least 16 years ago and she never nagged me to quit she inspired me by her example I have to admit that sometimes I may nag my room mate a bit because I live with her smoking I must remember to be less of a nag and more of a fine Ex'er !

Hope you feel better fast so you can have fun hiking and taking nice pictures !!!

bonniebee

When will I ever remember  to edit before I post sorry about all the typos !  🙂

JACKIE1-25-15

Yay, yay happy day.  Thank you for making ours brighter. 

Rick_M

You got it ...quit smoking and quit hiding behind a cloud of smoke. Well said...Stay with your quit for you ....agree with Bonnie don't nag...trust me your daughter will see you not smoking and in time may jump on, her call...... regardless you need to take care of you. Stay with your quit and stay with us on EX ....support is the secret weapon

freeneasy

Nice blog! Thankfully we have choices and not smoking today is a good one and the right one. We stay smoke-free one day at a time. 

elvan

What a beautiful blog...you are so right, we DO need to feel our feelings and not hide behind a cloud of smoke, we need to accept ourselves and being an example to our kids is HUGE.  

MarilynH

I am so sorry about your back but I am happy that you got out with friends and am glad that you got to spend today with your daughter , my daughter , Mason's Mom and his Dad smoke too but hopefully our EXample of quitting will bring them closer to quitting one day soon . Thank you for sharing this wonderful uplifting blog . ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

debrad
I loved your story it made me think...I hope I can do this too...be an Ex
gregp136

What an excellent blog.  The ups and downs of life and the acceptance that we can only control a small piece of it.  And a piece of that piece, is the choice to smoke or not!

JACKIE1-25-15

Absolutely beautiful  blog. We have to be willing to embrace each day with the commitment not to smoke.