cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

I can't believe it's day #19! How things have changed...

chris14
0 2 30
Yes, things really have changed a lot by day #19! Spontaneous cravings have completely vanished. I don't think about a cigarette as soon as I get up! I don't cough anymore and my lungs no longer burn. I cannot tell whether my jacket needs to go to the dry cleaner by checking how smoky it smells. My hair, house, towels, pets etc. no longer reek of cigarettes. And the list could go on.

I can also do most of the things I did while smoking cigarettes without going nuts again. I can drink and enjoy coffee, although I automatically drink much less of it, which is an added benefit in itself. I can talk on the phone, sit on the computer, have a glass of wine, have dinner and drinks with friends and not feel somehow cheated out of the enjoyment of it all. I still do feel like having a cigarette on some of these occasions, but it's not a physical urge anymore.

Most of all, my sense of self and pride has increased by a significant degree. I am proud of myself for this almost unexpected accomplishment and feel a whole lot healthier, not only physically but mentally as well. I'm eating better and can enjoy this without feeling like a hypocrite. I have more energy and feel more focused, which means I can get things done more easily. I wake up earlier and faster than I used to, I am more physically active and generally in a more positive state of mind. Wow - who would have known that quitting cigarettes can accomplish all that??? I don't remember feeling like this the one time I quit before. But then, that was eleven years ago. I was at an entirely different stage of my life altogether and probably would not have paid much attention to these things.

One of my new habits is taking extensive walks with my dog every morning and today I woke up to find a winter wonderland outside my door. Below's a picture of the tree in front of our house. By the way, I think I've mentioned before that I am almost as much of a photography addict as I am a tobacco addict. I've finally managed to update my website, so if you'd like to check out some pics instead of smoking a cigarette, visit me at http://saltydogphotography.smugmug.com/.. Please, sign my new guest book if you like what you see.

2 Comments