cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

I can do this, I can do this, gosh I want one

mentholatedmelodykool
3 20 213

Well, I have finally joined. I've been reading posts for about an hour, and decided to say hello. 

This is sooo hard! I've never been a "quitter" but it's a must. I've smoked since 17. I don't know about y'all but I like to smoke, I just can't anymore. 

Cigarettes should just be considered a narcotic. They're toxic and they make us do things like go out in the pouring rain, they're perfect after a meal, great after using the restroom, satisfying after sex, - relief when I want to cry, a great excuse to step out of the office and a great compliment to a good drink!

I can go on and on. And it seems like everything is a trigger to want one. I can't wait for the day when the strong urges go away! 

Sheeesh, I could smoke to that! 

20 Comments
KJay
Sounds like you are gearing up to quit. Eventually. Nancy will be along with an intimidating amount, appearence wise, of information you should ingest. Please read the Allan Carr book which will likely be linked by her or someone else. Post any questions for the community out here in blog land, NOT on your message board. Pick a quit protocol and a date, pick some brains regarding your quit pick method. Read up on your addiction. Read more blogs. Education is key. As is your willingness to quit, your willingness to try, to apply yourself to it. This site is very supportive if you participate in it. So get busy MMK. Gift yourself with a quit. Kjay
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

As you become educated about nicotine addiction, I think you will begin to understand that there is nothing to “like” about smoking. You may miss the ritual, or the dopamine, or the digestive work – but that is NOT what smoking does only to/for you. I think when you begin to evaluate the negatives vs. the positives you imagine, you will come to realize you won't be missing a thing that can't be replaced!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested on this site

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort.  I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  I do not recommend the e-cigarette for three reasons: 1) the vapor has been compared to the polluted air in Bejing on a bad day, 2) they just provide another nicotine delivery system while continuing the hand to mouth smoking motion, and 3) the batteries can spontaneously catch on fire. . But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around your head alone.  Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

KJay
What took you Nancy ?
Dotgirl_1-28-16

HELLO!!! Welcome to the EXcommunity! YOU CAN DO THI S! YOU CAN DO THIS! NO YOU DON'T! That's the addiction speaking to you, just tell it to shut up and go away! Congrats on your first blog and for joining this group, I'm glad you're here. Trust me when I say YOU CAN DO THIS! I felt the way you're feeling now, the elders of this EXcommunity told me that I could and look at me now! I'm almost at my 1 year anniversary. Keep reading and educating yourself on this addiction, knowledge is power!

Maureen

KJay
MMK, your blog suggests your romance with smoking is still a thing. Aside from going out in inclimate weather ( to feed the addiction ), your association with smoking appears to be one you are ending reluctantly. So something is pushing this quit on you, or at you. It might be helpful to share that info here. About half or 50% of failed quit attempts involve alcohol ; I mention that to you now because you believe a cigarette is " a great compliment to a good drink ". I very strongly suggest you avoid alcohol, bars, or parties where social drinking will be an option. Alcohol will weaken your resolve, and in your case it's a trigger to smoke too. That combo is the perfect relapse trap for someone attempting to quit. Kjay
RachelMB

Welcome MMK-

We are all glad you are here and you are definitely in the right place for support in quitting.  Take the advice above and read everything you can.  It is imperative that you educate yourself about nicotine addiction from the start.  Understanding that will help you on this journey.  I'm proud of you for deciding to quit!  Put a plan together and reach out if you need help.  You're worth the struggle this takes! 🙂

Rachel

maryfreecig

Welcome. I'm glad you took the plunge, introduced yourself and explained a little about your smoking habit. I loved smoking too...like a crazed addict loves heroin... Took me a while to realize the smokes were not worth loving and that the real price of my cigarette addiction was mighty high.  I put my smokes first and so cracking a part that insane dependency took a lot of work. 

You've come to the right place for caring support, giving as often as you need it! Keep coming back. 

mentholatedmelodykool

You all are great and thank you for the advice and encouragement! My quit date is 12/1. I have already cut down to 5 a day. So, what's pushing me to quit? I'm expecting! Happily! And all jokes aside, I am ready to put my child's need and gift of life ahead of my stubborn old lifestyle. I stopped drinking and changed my eating habits. I have also stopped the bored smoking and taking excessive breaks at work. I CAN QUIT! Maybe my coping sick humor was a bit too much. My apologies if I offended anyone. This isn't a joking matter, it's very serious. I just need to laugh through this. 

By by the way, who is Nancy? 

RachelMB

MMK-

Congrats on expecting a baby!  So exciting and definitely a reason to quit.  Nancy is the one that sent you the longer response with links of information to read.  I believe it's the second comment down in the series.  She's an excellent resource and friend.  You CAN do this!  We all believe in you and will offer as much support as you need! 🙂

Rachel

brittann3

Congratulations on the good news! And Welcome! I've been quit 43 days and have been a part of this community for about a  month and I will tell you, it has made ALL the difference!! Sharing here and reading any and all material on nicotine, addiction, how it affects the body and brain, and why it's so hard to quit is the main reason I've been able to stick with this quit when I failed with all the others.

Part of my main reason for quitting now is that I want to quit before I start a family and feared that if I ended up pregnant before quitting it would be too difficult to quit... and I did not want that at all! You have an amazing reason to quit and never look back for sure. I would be concerned about your chances of picking it back up after you deliver, if you don't get a different perspective on nicotine addiction and why we all at one time or another felt that smoking was something we could not live without! I promise, you can! Keep us posted for sure!

shashort

Hello and welcome to our great community. Not much more I can add to the above but congratulations on your decision to quit and is the best gift you can give yourself. You CAN do this!!! Read and educate and holler for help if needed. You can ask for by by blogging the word HELP as the title and we will all come running to the rescue.  The key is to come here before you smoke. 

indingrl

It was SUGGESTED to ME when I WANT TO USE NICOTINE I just turn MY HEAD PHYSICALLY and walk to get a drink of water or go wash my face or go eat applesauce with cinnamon its cleans your blood out naturally or jump up and down for three minutes or read a prayer or take three deep breathes and thank God I can breathe that's what was SUGGESTED to ME FYI this one lady had stage 4 lung cancer from smoking I wrote a blog on wanting to smoke she said put a plastic bag over your head and then smoke REAL TRUTH BABE TAKE HEED NICOTINE IS STILL KILLING AND IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE NICOTINE YOU WILL CHOOSE YOUR EARLY DEATH TOO YOUR CHOICE FREE WILL AMEN

KJay
Hi MMK Joke away, fear not. I backtracked, and, sadly, could not find any examples of the "sick coping humor " you made a point of apologizing for. Don't hold back 🙂 This place runs on the serious side, but do not let that hinder you in the least. Laughter is always good even if humor is subjective. Thank you for sharing your impetus to quit. Having a baby is a great reason to quit ; any reason to quit is a great reason and you seem to be doing all the right lifestyle changes to ensure a healthy child. You can probably continue with your table dancing hobby through the first trimester, but check to be sure. Rachel answered the " Who is Nancy ? " question you posed, so the only thing to add is that Nancy's Ex name as it were is Youngatheart. Not a chance I'll be typing MentholatedMelodyKool any more than you'll be naming your son/daughter that, so I will salute you with MMK, as I have already done. Are you planning a smart turkey/ cold turkey quit on the first ? What is your quit plan ? Kjay
MePlus3
Seem like everyone got you geared up and ready to go! Congratulations on the new baby! What a beautiful reason to quit. I warn you now though, through your pregnancy quitting may be a bit easier for lack of better words because you have the baby growing inside you as a reminder not to do it. Now nicodemon just might show his rear end once the baby is born I believe you got this and you can and will succeed just watch out for him once the baby comes! I had a friend quit cold turkey during her pregnancy and went right back so be careful. In other news, WELCOME TO EX! you have come to the best place for support we're all like family here. If you ever feel like you're going to cave come here and blog help and we'll come running. That's what we're here for to be by your side through the good, bad, and ugly! Have you thought of a quit plan? Are you using NRT?
mentholatedmelodykool

Wow you guys are awesome!!!!! I truly appreciate your support ❤️ Thanks for the clarification about Nancy. MMK and/or Melody works for me lol Thursday is a hard quit. I have my mints and water stocked. I have a few cut straws to help with the desire for the smoking cessation and small balls of paper to chew on and spit out if it gets too bad! I can't chew gum or candy with my braces (Invisalign). 

Strudel

You are so right - You CAN do this! Be sure to check out the Carr book Nancy gave you. Plus - stick around here - the support is fantastic! Welcome and congrats on deciding to quit! 

KJay
Hi MMK I think an educated hard quit, aka smart turkey in these parts, is the way to go. That's the quit method I chose and have been working with. Yours should be relatively easy as you have already begun stressing yourself somewhat by cutting down. Please read the book by Allan Carr, the link for the book provided by Nancy - remember that name - in the 2nd. comment above to this your first blog. Don't psyche yourself out with fears or anxiety about how difficult it is to quit. Because although at times unpleasant, it's no worse than a moderate, short cold. The first three days are the worst, but easily, easily doable. Just remember NOPE. : Not One Puff Ever. And remember: SINAO : Smoking Is Not An Option. DO make sure you have disposed of all cigarettes, ash trays, lighters before you begin your quit. You'll get a ton of suggestions if you post a " quitting tomorrow am " blog here tomorrow evening dinner hour-ish. Kjay
I_am_free

Congratulations on that new life growing inside of you!!  As a mother-to-be, one of the greatest gifts you can give to your child is quitting the damaging effects of nicotine, tar, and other chemicals in that cigarette.  Best wishes and hugs!

Silverstar

Welcome, Melody, so glad you are here and committed to Quit!  I will be looking for your blogs, reading and commenting has helped me so much, I truly believe it's made the difference in my new Quit (53 days of freedom, yay). 

So, get ready to rock that Quit, we are here, we are ready, We Don't Do That Anymore, and I think there might be a place on the site to help decode some of the acronyms and jargon floating around.  Here's a couple:  NOPE (Not One Puff Ever) and SINAO (Smoking Is Not An Option).  I am fond of Keep On Keeping On (KOKO), but always write it out for some weird reason.

You can DO This!

c2q

Humor is a great quit smking tool.