cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Goodbye

Jtharp98
0 4 69

You make me feel tired, anxious, you make my chest hurt, you have taken over my life for the last 6 years and taken control of my anxiety. I want my life back. I want my body back. I’m done with you. 

4 Comments
Barbscloud

@Jtharp98 Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your upcoming quit.

Use this time to educate yourself of nicotine addiction and create a quit plan.  Knowledge and preparation are key to success.  This link has some great information to get you started.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Also, join many of us on the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time .

There is wonderful support here from fellow quitters here.  Finding the Ex made all the difference for me after 50 years of smoking.  We're here for you, so reach out anytime we can help.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Great good-bye!  You don't mention what product you are quitting.  Just sub yours as you read if it isn't the vape; the way to quit any of them is about the same!

Congratulations on your decision to quit vaping! It's common sense that anything you put in your lungs that isn't clean air can't be good for you! You will need to substitute “vape” or “device” as you do the reading I will recommend. Research suggests nicotine may be as addictive as heroin and cocaine. Because vaping is available to you most anywhere, anytime, I believe it might be more difficult from which to break free than regular tobacco products - but it CAN be done! There is a blog written by one of our success stories that you might find informative: I Quit Smoking and Vaping - EX Community . If you would like to use a quit aid and would like information on the various ones, let me know.

I recommend that you educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind To that end, I suggest Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”, which can be purchased online or borrowed from your local library. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction : Nicotine and Your Brain.

The idea is to change up your routines so the vaping associations are reduced. Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you vaped. Maybe switch to tea for a bit. If you always had that first puff with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to vape so the view is different. Take a different route when you are out and about so you aren't driving by your vaping supply shop. Take the Daily Pledge each day, Just look for it on the home page. It helps to hold yourself accountable to your quit and the community..

You need to distract yourself through any craves. You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game. Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that vaping thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits. Get busy! Here is a list of things to do instead of vape if you need some fresh ideas:

101 Things to Do Instead of Smoke - EX Community

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want to vape" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?" Then DO it. You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

jonimarie

Welcome to EX @Jtharp98 

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @Jtharp98  My name is Quiana, and I am a part of the EX Team. Congratulations on your decision to quit! I wanted to reach out and personally welcome you to the EX Community! We are so excited you have joined us. This is a very supportive community so feel free to keep us all posted on your quit journey reach out and let us know if you need anything.

Here are some articles that might be helpful as you prepare for your quit date: 

https://www.becomeanex.org/ex-resources/about-quitting/get-ready-to-quit/right-before-you-quit/

https://www.becomeanex.org/ex-resources/about-quitting/get-ready-to-quit/3-ways-to-get-your-support-...

Quiana, EX Team