Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Goodbye letter

emsma1985
2 4 89

Dear Vape,

I wanted to take a moment to say goodbye. We've had our moments together, but it's time for me to move on. I've realized that you're not good for me, and I deserve better. You've been a crutch, a distraction, and a source of dependency, but I'm ready to break free.

I want to prioritize my health and well-being, and that means letting go of this unhealthy habit. I want to breathe in fresh air, not toxic chemicals. I want to feel in control of my own choices, not controlled by a device. I want to be free from the grip you have on me.

It won't be easy, and I know there will be moments of temptation. But I'm committed to this goodbye. I'm committed to finding healthier ways to cope with stress, to finding new hobbies and activities that bring me joy, and to surrounding myself with people who support my decision.

So, vape, it's time for us to part ways. I'm ready to embrace a life without you, and I know it will be better for me in the long run. Thank you for the lessons you've taught me, but it's time for me to move forward.

Goodbye, vape. It's time for me to take control of my own life.

Sincerely,
Amanda

4 Comments
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Congratulations on your decision to quit vaping!  GREAT good-bye letter!  I hope you will spend some time getting ready for your quit date.

It's common sense that anything you put in your lungs that isn't clean air can't be good for you! You will need to substitute “vape” or “device” as you do the reading I will recommend. Research suggests nicotine may be as addictive as heroin and cocaine. Because vaping is available to you most anywhere, anytime, I believe it might be more difficult from which to break free than regular tobacco products - but it CAN be done! There is a blog written by one of our success stories that you might find informative: I Quit Smoking and Vaping - EX Community . If you would like to use a quit aid and would like information on the various ones, let me know.

I recommend that you educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind To that end, I suggest Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”, which can be purchased online or borrowed from your local library. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction : Nicotine and Your Brain.

The idea is to change up your routines so the vaping associations are reduced. Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you vaped. Maybe switch to tea for a bit. If you always had that first puff with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to vape so the view is different. Take a different route when you are out and about so you aren't driving by your vaping supply shop. Take the Daily Pledge each day, Just look for it on the home page. It helps to hold yourself accountable to your quit and the community..

You need to distract yourself through any craves. You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game. Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that vaping thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits. Get busy! Here is a list of things to do instead of vape if you need some fresh ideas:

101 Things to Do Instead of Smoke - EX Community

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want to vape" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?" Then DO it. You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Barbscloud

@emsma1985 Amanda, welcome to the Ex.  You found a great place for information, advice and most of all support.   Use this time wisely to educate yourself about nicotine addiction and create a quit plan by identifying tools you'll use, coping with cravings, and creating new associations to replace vaping.  You won't regret the work you  invest in  advance of your quit.  Knowledge and preparation are key to success. 

This link has some great information to get you started on the right track.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Reinforce your journey  by starting your day off on  the Daily Pledge.

You found some great quitters here to help make your quit a reality.  Reach out anytime you want to share your journey or need support.

Look forward to celebrating with you in June, if not sooner.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome @emsma1985  My name is Quiana, and I am a part of the EX Team. Congratulations on your decision to quit! I wanted to reach out and personally welcome you to the EX Community! We are so excited you have joined us. This is a very supportive community so feel free to keep us all posted on your quit journey reach out and let us know if you need anything. 

Also! please join our vaping group where there are more focused discussions on this topic.

Here are some articles that might be helpful as you prepare for your quit date: 

https://www.becomeanex.org/ex-resources/about-quitting/get-ready-to-quit/right-before-you-quit/

https://www.becomeanex.org/ex-resources/about-quitting/get-ready-to-quit/3-ways-to-get-your-support-...

Quiana, EX Team

McMoney

Such a wonderful goodbye letter. Good for you. Get ready to let it go, move on. Better things await you and you will be so much stronger for quitting. I'll be rooting for you!