cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Good Morning Newbies

Barbara145
4 9 151

Need some encouragement?  I smoked for 52 years.  I tried to quit many, many times (I thought I loved smoking.)  When I was diagnosed with COPD, I decided if I wanted to live, I had to stop. I was 66 at that time.  I had recently heard that it was safe to use nicotine patches and nicotine gum at the same time. I knew from previous quit attempts that I needed more than the patch and I knew I needed support.  I got online and by God's grace I found this site. Even with all that help, it wasn't pretty.  I grieved the loss of my cigarettes for a long time.  I didn't think I would ever not want them.  I thought about them obsessively.  Some people "get busy."  I sat and grieved and drank a lot of coffee, strong coffee.  Fast forward six years. I do not want them.  I am truly at no risk for picking them back up. I wish you could understand how very much better life is without cigarettes. The pain of quitting is worth it.  Through it I learned and grew.  Stress is much more easily managed without cigarettes.  Emotions are more even.  At 72 years old I am happier than I have ever been. I have C.O.P.D and emphysema that is well managed these days.  I walk 30 minutes everyday, do a wonderful yoga class at the fitness center once a week. I am enjoying my sweet retired life.  If I was still smoking I wouldn't have the life I have. Other than lung disease, I have no other health problems.   God bless each of you on your own unique journey to wholeness.

9 Comments
AnnetteMM

What a wonderful testimony! Like you, I wish each and every new quitter this hope and encouragement.

Well done!

constanceclum

Thanks for sharing your experience, strength and hope. It really does keep us newbies going-sometimes by the hour. That's what makes this site so wonderful!

Connie

JACKIE1-25-15

Good morning, thank you for taking the time to share your EXperience. 

Christine13

Thank you for your blog full of hope and inspiration!

Barbscloud

Thanks for the message of encouragement .   

Barb

jonimarie

Thank you Barbara very nice post. 

cpsono

This is a great post and tremendously inspiring. I’m glad I logged on this AM. THANK YOU!

Mward90

Thank you for your inspirational story!  It gives such hope for the future.

angel01madrid

That really touched me. You are really something special.