cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Drinking Alcohol and Quitting Smoking

YoungAtHeart
6 22 240

It's the time of year for office, friends' and family get togethers. I want to caution those who are quitting smoking to be careful when drinking alcohol. It's a good idea to abstain early in your quit, and to limit consumption even as you move further along on it. It can cloud your thought process. It might even have you let down your guard and think, “just one will be OK.” There will never be such a thing as “just one” to an addict! It will always, maybe not right away but always, lead you back to being a full-time smoker.

Here's an article to further inform you:

https://smokefree.gov/challenges-when-quitting/cravings-triggers/alcohol-smoking

This site is littered with tales of quits lost to alcohol. Don't let's add yours.

Be careful out there. A quit is a terrible thing to lose!

Nancy

22 Comments
About the Author
I smoked until a vascular surgeon informed me of the damage I had done to myself by doing so. I quit 11 years ago, and I can swim laps virtually FOREVER now, walk most other days 40 minutes to an hour and a half. What a difference quitting has made in my life! I strive to help others find this wonderful freedom from addiction, too.