cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Day Three: Re-visit the past

shenna
1 0 21

Before I get deep into this blog I want to thank everyone for the comments on yesterday's blog. I guess tomorrow I will blog about triggers and why I decided to finally quit.

Today I went to the place where my addiciton began; my college. I graduated in '05 but today I went to celebrate a friend's graduation. When I entered the campus, although everything seemed new, I remembered my habit. I remembered my smoke spots and then I saw old college smoke buddies. The difference is they were still smokers and I refused to smoke today even though they offered. They were shocked that I had quit just 3 days ago and I didn't just give in. These three days are more important to me than a lot of things. It was my first time being around cigarettes since quitting and I did not want to smoke because I did not want to let myself down. I did not want to be the person who came on here to say "I relapsed." My desire to quit and stay smoke free has become stronger than my addiction today. Don't get me wrong, I think about smoking [past tense about what it was like to smoke] because to be honest, I loved smoking. I loved the way the smoke came out of my mouth. Smoking for me was more of an oral fixation than anything. But, in these past three days I don't even want to put a cigarette to my mouth. I am having an affair with water and orbitz gum.

I just want to say one thing to my quitters with 3 days or less and to those who want to quit... This is your process and your race. One person's path towards remaining smoke free may not work the same for you. You are your own worse critic. The only way that you can win the race is by being a part of it.