cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Day 3, or, day 666?

mdmd4448
0 13 38

Well i woke feeling pretty good then within two hours managed to have at least a half dozen crises of faith. Got caught up in "never another cig" and felt overwhelmed and forgot the premise "just get through this hour", I felt like Carr's book had superhuman and unrealistic expectations while i struggled with a willpower battle over breaking down, bit my signif other's head off (fortunately i missed, her head's still on), and, honestly, looked for a sense of pride but only felt  empty.

Went to the gym and now feeling mo' better and hoping i've had the worst of today's crisis of faith in the process. I guess i expected that by third day i'd feel something different or better. I can say the coffee tasted about a zillion times better last night after dinner. That's something anyway. Beginning to wonder if and how i'll ever enjoy things again without cigs....crazy crazy crazy!

Looking forward to a nap and unconsciousness for a while........I guess you can liken this stage of quitting smoking to a colonoscopy: ideally you're unconscious for both things.

mdmd

13 Comments
plug66

yeah md u go from good to not so good in a heartbeat......i was always afraid of the not ever having another cigarette too hugely scary, but...it passes..honest it does...going to the gym helps too, stay strong, and don't bite signif's head off too much, you are in a weakened condition, and she may be able to kick ur ass lolo....have a nice nap

Storm.3.1.14

Those repetitious rituals do NOT fade as quickly as we'd like...or quickly at all, for that matter. But, all we have to do is keep our newborn quits repetitious, too, and match every punch with a NOPE and a NOPE and a NOPE and a NOPE...until we shake off those old compulsions and routines and triggers and rituals and ruts.

Trust me, it'll happen, and it DOES get easier...but you just focus on Day 4. That's the ONLY obligation you have at this moment.

Keep sluggin'!

Mike.n.Atlanta

It can be overwhelming to think of never again. Gotta stay in the now MD.

Keep on keepin on,

JonesCarpeDiem

On my third day, I realized smoking or not smoking was just a decision. That relization made me laugh. From that day forward, I laughed every time I caught myself thinking about smoking. After a week, I was thinking about laughing, not smoking. I never thought about being 10 years quit or one year quit. I asked questions, saw when people were dropping out and just kept going.

YoungAtHeart

This is a journey - not an event,,,,,, and patience is surely required ----- both of you and your spouse!  Don't get ahead of yourself.  Only concern yourself with the minute/quarter-hour/ hour directly ahead of you....and don't let that thought rattle around in your head alone.  Get busy.....even if it's just slow, deep breathing.

Going to the gym was a GREAT idea.  Keep that up, too!  Also drink lots and lots of water - it helps flush out the toxins, and sips give you something to do with your mouth AND hands!

Nancy

sparky26

I agree with Mike ,it's dangerous at this stage to think never again .Best to do today , in fact today is the only day we have anyhow . Right ? So when the thought comes you answer back yeah but I don't smoke any more and distract yourself with a good laugh or 

A cool glass of water ,or cinnamon candy , whatever works for you .

And think about how far you've come , when was the last time you went 3 days without a smoke .???? Keep going one day at a time . 

You're in charge !

mdmd4448

Thanks everyone for helping to turn me back to the right direction for today. Huge help!

mdmd

plug66

Giulia

you can liken this stage of quitting smoking to a colonoscopy: ideally you're unconscious for both things.  Humor is great for cravings!!! 

Know that even if YOU don't feel pride, we are proud of you!

djmurray

I can add that when you're a high achiever in most things you think  by the third day it should be better.  You should see results.  But you, my friend, are smack in the middle of Hell Week.  Fortunately, it's just a week.  The you move on to Heck Week -- an improvement, but not necessarily fun.  But here's the secret -- it's ALL in your attitude.  Whether Allen Carr speaks to you or doesn't, if you are feeling deprived this is going to be way harder than if you accept that smoking is something you are choosing NOT to do.  For however long you've been smoking you've had it wrapped up in every emotion, every situation, every problem, every solution, every waking moment.  To change that is not easy and won't happen overnight.  But if you can accept  there will be a time during which you experience unexpected feelings, cravings, or discomfort (no crave ever killed anyone), and also accept if you can move through those discomforts they WILL NOT LAST.  If you can relax into your craves I promise they won't be as intense or last as long as if you tense up around them. 

At any rate, what you're doing is fantastic, we know that first week is especially hard, and yes, we know you can do this!

Dotgirl_1-28-16

Congratulations on making it through day 3! YOU DID IT!!! Keep doing what you're doing because it's working for you. Going to the gym was a great plan! Try to just keep it in the day, if the day is too long then just keep it in the hour and if an hour is too long just keep it in the moment. YOU ARE DOING THIS!!! WTG

shashort

Woohoo!! onward to day 4!!  Keep busy, busy and busy.  I found one thing is ice cold water in water bottle with straw.  When crave hits suck in that straw and slurp up some nice cold water, really refreshing too.  My water bottle goes everywhere I go. Your doing great. Stay strong!! and NOPE!!

GreenThumb3
I almost took a hostage on day 2 then on like day 5 my nicotine monester had to fight my girls PMS monster it gets so much better I promise just takes time you really do get freedom I don't think I had much of any thoughts in over a year at all but I ate a ton of food first week chew gum carrots slept walked dogs and had reward food it gets easier just have to get past the bad spots first week is more non stop then craves space out farther and less