cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Day 2

DayDreamer
0 19 225

This is my first post on the 2nd day of my quit. I have quit lots of times but have never made it very long without lighting back up. I want this time to be diffrent. I have been preparing for weeks and have done my homework so im feeling confident but still nervous for life without my cigarettes. I have never tried joining a quit smoking community like this but have been told by many that it can be pretty helpful so im giving it a shot. hell, I could use all the encouragement I can get right about now so what can it hurt. 

19 Comments
scgquit

Hi Tim,

I am only on my 34th day and I can tell you, it does it easier pretty fast.  I go hours now without thinking about it.  And when i do, it is just for a few seconds and I am off thinking about something else.   So hang in there.  It won't be bad for long.  You can do it! 

JonesCarpeDiem

read other peoples blogs.

you will learn more from them than anything else.

JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome Tim H , You have come to the right place if you are making the decision to commit to quit smoking.  At EX our resolve is to never smoke again.  NOPE “Not one puff ever.”  I suggest that you follow the steps on the web site pages along with reading, writing, studying, researching and blogging if you like.  

This is all about you and what you are willing to do to be a nonsmoker.  If you haven’t read it, here is a link to Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Way to Quit Smoking”.  It is an easy read suggested by the “elders” (those with1+ yrs. Quit).http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

Also check out www.whyquit.com. there is a lot of additional beneficial information to read and study.  Look for Freedom From Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101. Both were extremely helpful for me.  Stay close to the site and learn, ask questions. Read the blogs and most of all enjoy your commitment to quit smoking.

If you should need something to do here is a link that will help https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...).

If you take the time to do the work you will have success. 

enigmatik2

Welcome!  This is a great place to get support.  You can do this!

kristen-9-7-15

Welcome Tim! I will just say definitley read the Allen Carr book!

kristen-9-7-15

Btw, cute pup!

jimmypage

Welcome Tim! It's great that you have done so much preparation and homework, that can make all the difference, along with the support and encouragement you will find here. Remember to blog straight away if you are having any difficulties and let us talk you through it. Also, good job getting your dog to tolerate the antlers and sit still for the pic lol

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I also  highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”  If you have not read it in your preparations, I encourage you to do so.  It has helped a LOT of us here be successful in our quits.

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.  Are you using a quit aid.  Let us know so we can best advise you when you have questions.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around your head alone.  Get busy! 

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Breakinchains

Put aside at least a little bit of time (maybe the time you used to use up by smoking) every day to come here and read the blogs. There is a wealth of experience here from folks who have been successfully quit for years and know how to handle the tough times. They can answer your questions. You can do this. 

cpsono

Welcome!  You CAN do this.  You will get tons of support from wonderful people on this site who really know how to stay quit!  At 188 days quit, I still come here daily.  It really keeps me "honest"  Congrats on your decison to quit!  CP

Summer-Rain

Welcome to the community Tim.  Keep blogging..no matter the subject....it helps.

The journey continues

sparky26

Yea Tim , congratulations on two days without a sickerett ! 

You can do this , the first day is the hardest and that one's gone !

MarilynH

Welcome , you can and will succeed in your quit because you are sooooooo much stronger than you realize, stay strong and stay close to this site, keep your mind as well as your hands occupied and drink lots of water to help flush out your system. Do all the recommended reading because it will help strengthen your resolve to keep your precious quit, hang tough Tim we are all here to support you. 

Marilyn 

GreenThumb3

Good job on getting through day 2 was for me the hardest day just takes time best thing you can do for your self 

Strudel

Tim - Welcome to the site! You are in exactly the right place! The support here is amazing! I came here, after smoking for 40 years - I did the reading and I quit! That was over 5 years ago! Be sure to stay close! Congrats on your quit! 

TerrieQuit

Hi Tim and Welcome! You are doing great! Preparation is the key! You have come to the right place for support and encouragement. Come here as often as you can! Congratulations on 2 days. The more days you grt thee easier it will become! You can do this!

Terrie  148  DOF

Puff-TM-Draggin

Welcome.  I look forward to your third day of success!  Let us know how it went.

You can do it!

chatkat

Hi Time, today is day two of my quit as well. Been doing a lot of deep breathing seems to help the most right now for me. We can do this!!! One day at a time. 

djmurray

Sorry I'm late to the comments, but I do want to assure you that being part of this community made all the difference for me.  I promised myself I would blog every day for the first thirty days, and I did that, and then wen't on posting every day for quite a while after that.  I don't blog every day anymore but I do get on the site at least every other day.  I'm going to celebrate one year quit at the end of this month.  I smoked for 53 years (heavily) and had quit several times before -- once for three years -- but every time I quit in the past I felt deprived by not smoking.  I envied people who "got" to smoke.  Being a part of this community convinced me and reinforced for me that smoking is NOTHING and we give up absolutely nothing when we stop doing it.  That has made a huge difference and I know now that I will never smoke again.  So I can't express how big a difference sticking close to this site makes  Stay close and you will get amazing support and understanding.  If you feel you're going to smoke, get on this site and simply type HELP in the subject line, and there will be people "talking" to you within moments. 

You can definitely do this!

About the Author
I am A U.S. Navy Veteran from Grand Rapids MI. Been a smoker most of my life. I quit with the help of this community before for almost 3 years. I relapsed and have been smoking full time again over the last year / year and a half. I have recommitted to being smoke free and my new quit date is February 3, 2020. This time it will be for good...