cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Day 13 and feeling sick

WendyVergotine
0 5 27

Hey everyone. I am on my 13th day of being smoke free and I am not feeling too good. One of the reasons which made me quit was this very bad cough which I have had for about 2 months with a flu, the flu is gone but the cough wouldnt go away. I saw the doctor who gave me predisones, a very strong tablet for my chest which helped a little but i still cannot stand the choking cough that I have now. I still get some cravings but not alot. The only thing is that I feel sick like I have a flu everyday and also feeling very tired. Can someone perhaps suggest anything for this cough that I have.

5 Comments
WendyVergotine

Hey everyone. I am on my 13th day of being smoke free and I am not feeling too good. One of the reasons which made me quit was this very bad cough which I have had for about 2 months with a flu, the flu is gone but the cough wouldnt go away. I saw the doctor who gave me predisones, a very strong tablet for my chest which helped a little but i still cannot stand the choking cough that I have now. I still get some cravings but not alot. The only thing is that I feel sick like I have a flu everyday and also feeling very tired. Can someone perhaps suggest anything for this cough that I have.

JonesCarpeDiem

Maybe some cough medicine?

Vaporub in gently rolling/boiling water and a towel tent for youe head to direct the vapor.

Don't get too close to the pan. Try inhaling from a distance and mov closer until you feel it's just right.

(Don't catch the towel on fire)

Barbara145

I think your cough is your body healing.  Cleaning out all the stuff.  The prednisone probably hastened the process.  I say keep coughing and do not ever smoke again.  Congratulations on quitting smoking.  You are doing this! 

YoungAtHeart

The tireds can be from quitting smoking.  It takes awhile for your body to adjust to life without nicotine.  The cough from the flu can hang on for a long time, I've found.  It can also be from your lungs healing - but I think the former is probably the case.  With that cough, you probably aren't getting the rest you need, either.  Mucinex (over the counter) is a good phlegm thinner, and that might help, too.  That, used in combination with Dale's Vicks idea should do the trick, I think.

Feel better! 

Nancy

WendyVergotine

Hey guys. Thanks everyone I really appreciate all the helpful comments. At least in the community I do not feel so alone. I have to admit, I still get some cravings and its difficult when i have a slow day at work and see all my colleagues in the smoking section outside so now i rather dont go outside anymore. I'm loving the change in my life. I dont sneak away from my kids anymore to quickly smoke and I do not smell like smoke anymore. At first I would constantly rub perfumed hand lotion into my hands but dont really need to anymore. And yes thanks Barbara, I cant believe I am, but I am doing it through the Grace of God. Thanks everyone again