Cravinsmokinh

Ultralynn5
0 9 146

Candy doesn't  take my crave away

9 Comments
Ultralynn5
  • Hello
MarilynH

I noticed that you're on your 25th day of your quit @Ultralynn5 you're doing great deep breaths keep moving forward stacking up those precious ~ DOF ~ Days of Freedom so each evening you can say YAY for another day WON!It takes time to relearn life without the crutch of the horrid nicotine poison but it's so worth it once we get to that good place in our quits, I chomped on carrots and celery sticks and I kept a bag of sugar free mints around in case of any unforseen cravings plus I drank a lot of water and still do. Keeping your mind as well as your hands occupied helps I also watched alot of comedy either on T.V or dvds or on YouTube because the last thing I thought of was the nicotine poison because I was too busy laughing, stay close and reach out whenever you need to or just want to vent we're all here to help you in any way we can you've got this believe it. 

Cousin-Itt

Hello @Ultralynn5 

My first 2 weeks of my quit was easy of course I was on a ventilator the first week and still in the hospital the second week.  When I made home is when my cravings hit the worst.  Candy didn't help much, or mint tooth pics or gum etc.  I was also very limited in physical activity.  I turned to music and listened to different types and artist it kept my mind occupied.  I also had my hospital bracelet as a reminder of what smoking caused and taken from me. Every time the cravings got really bad, I held it for strength.  After a month into my quit I tossed my lung exerciser (for COPD) in the trash and picked up a harmonica. 

In short find something that occupies your mind It can be anything you enjoy or wanted to do.  Secondly, write down the reason you quit carry it with you or a rock anything that will remind you what smoking has taken from you and why you quit. Grab it when the cravings get bad and remember the why

After 2827 days I've never regretted quitting.  Quitting wasn't the easiest thing to do but it was the best thing I did.

Glad you're here

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Try and practice the 4D's @Ultralynn5! Delay acting on the craving for five minutes and it will usually pass, Deep breathe, Drink something cold or hot, or Do something else!  

Quiana, EX Team

YoungAtHeart

You are doing GREAT to be quit for 25 days.  What have you been doing up until now besides using candy?  Have you changed up your routines, used distracting activities to get your mind off the craving, gotten busy?  If not, try those!

This is a mind AND body exercise!  Get busy!  Stay busy!

You can do this; you have already proven you can.  It is going to get easier!

Hang in there until it does!

Nancy

Barbara145

Stay close to this site.  That is what finally did it for me after 52 years of smoking. You are doing well.   Keep it up.

Barbscloud

@Ultralynn5 I would also encourage you to spend more time on the site.  There is great advice, information and support from fellow quitters.  We've been there and know what it takes to be successful.

There are lots of tools to use besides candy.  Are you doing any physical activities?  If you're able to exercise, especially walking, is a great way to refocus your thoughts and get that added boost of dopamine lost when quitting.  I used hard candy, chewing on straws early on to keep my mouth occupied , but also stayed busy, walking and playing video games.  Finding tools to keep you moving and using you mind to distract your thought should help.

Stay positive and be proud of those 26 days.  This isn't easy and you're doing it.

You might take a look a No Man's Land.  It doesn't happen to everyone, but it pays be vigilant.

No Mans Land Days 30 to 130 (approximate) - EX Community

Stay busy and stay close - it works!

Barb

maryfreecig

At first when I quit nothing helped me feel better. That reality made me feel even worse. I wondered why can't I make myself feel better if I am the one who chose to quit. My mind ran around in circles trying to find the door that would lead me out of the fun house I was in. I so wanted to be myself again, but all I knew was smoking day in and day out for decades. I ate candy, walked, hiked, yard saled, visited flea markets, ate pastries, philosophized about the meaning of life, turned myself inside out, got angry, calmed down, got angry again.

Little did I know that as they say here on Ex that when we quit we are relearning life. Maybe some are resilient enough to get over addiction in a few weeks, but not me. I wanted my smoking life without the smoking. And it was shocking that I didn't know what to do with out my addiction. I thought I was stronger than that.

10.5 years later and yeah...all the nutty times of my early quit were worth it. I eventually learned that I don't have to smoke, don't have to ever again. One day at a time.

No, the candy isn't suppose to take the crave away, it's just something to do as you get used to not smoking, as you get over all aspects of your addiction. You can do this. Thanks for sharing.

SuzyQ411

Hang in there Cravinsmokinh ~ I know it's doable as I am almost 2 years quit~ Great advice in the above posts~ just don't give up!