cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Could use some good vibes - UPDATE

Giulia
0 36 121

Heading in for cataract surgery tomorrow.  Wouldn't mind a thought or two for a happy outcome.  I know these procedures are pretty common, but I know the power of this place and just wanted you all in my back pocket.  i wonder if I hadn't smoked all those years whether I'd need the surgery this soon.  Something to think about all you quitter's who are still on the fence. 

===============

12/20  Just got home.  Seems to have gone well.  Won't know 'til I can see.  Everything's a blur at the moment.  Gonna crash.  A little woozy.  Talk later.  Had you in my pocket on a piece of paper and read your names to myself while in the little room.  Felt the love!  Later ♥

============

https://www.health.ny.gov/prevention/tobacco_control/smoking_can_lead_to_vision_loss_or_blindness.ht...

Eye Disease and Smoking:

Studies show smoking increases the risk of age-related macular degeneration, cataracts, glaucoma and diabetic retinopathy and Dry Eye Syndrome.

• Age Related Macular Degeneration (AMD)   

• One way to reduce the risk of developing AMD is by NOT smoking. Smokers are three to four times more likely to develop AMD than nonsmokers. Nonsmokers living with smokers almost double their risk of developing AMD.
    •    
  •   
  • Cataract   

• Heavy smokers (15 cigarettes/day or more) have up to three times the risk of cataract as nonsmokers.
    •    
  •   
  • Glaucoma   

• There is a strong link between smoking and high blood pressure, cataracts and diabetes all of which are risk factors for glaucoma.
    •    
  •   
  • Diabetic Retinopathy   

• Smoking can increase your chances of getting diabetes. It can also make managing diabetes more difficult for those who already have it. Complications of diabetes made worse by smoking include retinopathy, heart disease, stroke, vascular disease, kidney disease, nerve damage, foot problems and many others.
    •    
  •   
  • Dry Eye Syndrome   

• Dry Eye Syndrome is more than twice as likely to impact smokers as non-smokers.
    •    
36 Comments
Stopforgood

All the best, and in your back pocket from Ky.... Thoughts and Prayers for the surgery, and complete healing and recovery!

RachelMB

Sending positive thoughts your way and wishes for a speedy recovery! 🙂

Rachel

Newfound_Joy

Very informative article, Giulia. That is one thing I have never heard of smoking being related to - but it makes sense! You have me in your back pocket. Sending positive healing energy your way from Idaho.

NOPE

NEF

Joy

JonesCarpeDiem

Thoughts and Prayers coming your way.

Dr. Apple?

Magstoyou

Prayers everything turns out well for you Giulia!!!

You got me in your back pocket

Mags

JonesCarpeDiem
JonesCarpeDiem
JonesCarpeDiem
Dotgirl_1-28-16

Healing thoughts and prayers are being sent your way.  I think all this time being smoke free is going to help alot in the healing process!

Thomas3.20.2010

Prayers and Best Thoughts!

The waiting is the worst part! Deep breathing helps.

So does visualization that you are on Vacation.

JACKIE1-25-15

Also wishing you a speedy recovery .  Thanks for the information .  You will be in my thoughts and prayers

elvan

Wishing you a very speedy recovery and sending up thoughts and prayers.  Do keep us posted when you can.

Barbara145

Thinking of you, Giulia.  Count me in from Virginia. In your back pocket I will be also. My best guess, you will do just fine.  Prayers going up as we speak.  

vanlil

I had cataract surgery a few year ago AND LOVE MY NEW EYES!!!!

Stop wondering about the IF ONLY'S................stay in today.

I don't have to wear glasses anymore.  I did get mono vision - one eye for distance and one eye for closeup (had that with contact lenses) I couldnt be happier with the outcome.

Lillian

Jennifer-Quit

Sending up prayers for a speedy recovery!

Yaya2.6.10

Hugs and prayers.  Even tho that surgery has become routine, I was a basket case before the first eye and not much better before the second.  Things are routine when they are happening to other people.  

c2q

got your back, friend.

freeneasy

Thinking about you and prayers out. Your peepers will be looking good. 

KJay
Soothing, calming thoughts sent your way. Will add you to my prayers list tonight. You will be fine, dandy even. Best to you Giulia, Kjay
YoungAtHeart

BEST vibes coming your way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eab_beh07HU

(I did hear when I was still smoking that it would cause cataracts at an earlier age - but it seems like they were blaming EVERYTHING in those days on smoking -- or at least that's what my addict''s brain heard!)

You will be AMAZED at how much better you will see!  Will be thinking of you tomorrow!

Nancy

prjimm01

you will be so happy to be able to see and be smoke free!!!!  YAY!!!  Enjoy!!! (I had both eyes done and I hope you have as good an experience as I had!)

KMC56

20/20 Vibes...!

TerrieQuit

Thaks for the good information! I m sending hugs and I will be praying throughout! Heal. heal. heal!

Love ya!

I Won't Quit on my Quit!

May your vision soon be 20/20!

sparky26

Prayers for the best out come 

SimplySheri

Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.....to always see the best in us, to always see the possibilities, and to always see that life is so much better smoke free.  Heal quickly and heal well. 

Daniela2016

Healing thoughts and prayers your way Giulia, also a big warm hug just before the surgery!  You'll be fine, can't wait to see your post as soon as you can type, be well!!!

tjanddj

My thoughts and prayers are with you Giulia.  

bacardigirl

Good luck and I hope for a speedy recovery!

Rick_M

Good vibes dear... talk tomo...u will be fine....we all

luv u 

Strudel

Giulia - Sending prayers and good thoughts! I know you will do fine! Please rest......and let us know how you are doing - when you can. Hugs!

djmurray

Let me add my voice to the chorus of "we've got your back," Guilia -- I will be thinking of you tomorrow, and hoping you recover quickly.  I've been told I have cataracts as well, but they're not very advanced yet, so it will be 4 to 5 years before I have to have them removed.  I am not the least surprised that my heavy smoking for all those years contributed to having to eventually deal with this.  But we know better now, and we got to find each other in that learning!!

MarilynH

Iam also sending love, good thoughts and prayers up for you tommorrow Giulia for healing and peace of mind and here's a humongous cyber hug from me to you my friend. ♡

shashort

hey Giulia I coming running in here to wish you a speedy recover. and big hugs to you. you will do great i am sure..

Giulia

You have no idea how much your love, prayers and well wishes mean to me.  Well, maybe you do.  'Cause I don't often put personal stuff out here, so when I do, you know I really need the support.  I come across as a tough @ss but I'm really a whimp.  Tough is just the veneer that sees me through. 

Anyway, I'll let you all know how it went as soon as I know.  I've written down all your names and they're going in my back pocket on a nice little folded up piece of paper, along with a penny.  I'll read them while I'm waiting for the procedure.

Manana.............

Thank you.

Thats_it

You will be ok. My dad just did this too. Try not to worry! You will see much better 

MarilynH

Sending loving, caring gentle cyber hugs from me to you sweet Giulia, I hope you are laying back with your feet up and relaxing! ♡ 🙂🙂

About the Author
Member since MAY 2008. I quit smoking March 1, 2006. I smoked a pack and a half a day for about 35 years. What did it take to get me smoke free? Perseverance, a promise not to smoke, and a willingness to be uncomfortable for as long as it took to get me to where I am today. I am an Ex but I have not forgotten the initial difficult journey of this rite of passage. That's one of the things that's keeping me proudly smoke free. I don't want to ever have another Day 1 again. You too can achieve your goal of being finally free forever. Change your mind, change your habits, alter your focus, release the myths you hold about smoking. And above all - keep your sense of hewmer. DAY WON - NEVER ANOTHER DAY ONE. If you still want one - you're still vulnerable. Protect your quit!