Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Be Careful Out There!

YoungAtHeart
3 5 238

2djc3bm.jpg

Lots of  parties abound today!  I wanted to remind everyone (and inform the newbies) that drinking alcohol while quitting smoking can lead to big trouble.

Drinking lessens your inhibitions and can lead to thoughts that "just one will be OK."  It never will be OK.  "The law of physiological addiction states that administration of a drug to an addict will cause reestablishment of the dependence on that substance (whyquit.com)."  Just one will always, maybe not right away but always, lead to another and then another until you are right back where you started....a smoker needing to quit,   It's just how addiction works,.

Just don't do it early in your quit.  Well into your quit, it's still a good idea to limit the amount.

This site is littered with tales of quits lost to alcohol.  Please don't add yours to them.

A quit is a terrible thing to lose.

Nancy

5 Comments
Brenda_M

HAPPY TEN YEARS, Sweet Nancy!!!

MarilynH

It's wonderful to see you @Brenda_M, I'm just reading this post Nancy and I'm so glad that you did! I've lost a few quits years ago thinking just one would be okay well that was a downright LIE the last failed attempt due to alcohol took me 20 years before I finally wised up and with the help of this awesome community AND smiling I'm living my Forever Quit! 

So therefore I do not think that I should drink for if I drink I do not think! 

YoungAtHeart

@Brenda_M 

GOOD to "see" you!  How's it going?

Brenda_M

@YoungAtHeart @MarilynH 

I'm doing all right. Getting better. I've been having a really bad year. It's looking up, though. I got a new job, and I like it so far. My boy is four now and starting preschool in September. I am still dating things 2021, so there's that, but overall, things are okay. How are you??

MarilynH

Humongous hug coming your way @Brenda_M, I'm so glad that things are looking up congrats on your new job wow on your little guy going into preschool in September 🤗💕 I'm doing alright....

About the Author
I smoked until a vascular surgeon informed me of the damage I had done to myself by doing so. I quit 11 years ago, and I can swim laps virtually FOREVER now, walk most other days 40 minutes to an hour and a half. What a difference quitting has made in my life! I strive to help others find this wonderful freedom from addiction, too.