cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

11th day as a non smoker

carolynt
0 10 11

Still struggling some even though it's 11 days today!  First thing I think of when I wake up in the mornings is "oh no, I can't smoke a cigarette.  Just wondered if anyone can tell me if this will ever go away as my first thought .  How long did it take you all to get on with your life and able to forget about it for long periods of time?  Maybe it will always be this way! 

Thanks for the encouragement I've received so far and I'm planning to keep up the fight!  Hope everyone has a really good day!

10 Comments
Barbara145

Good morning.  Great job on 11 days.  No it won't always be this way.  It does take time.  You are only just beginning on a journey of a lifetime  I can tell you this IT IS SO WORTH IT. Carry on.  You are doing this..

AbasKid

It has gotten marginally better after 43 days, but still and all it can be difficult. There are times I have managed several hours before it dawns on me that I've not smoked!

I will admit also, that sometimes loging in here first thing in the morning can make things more difficult. Everything revolves around --- S M O K I N G --- or not as the case may be, but cigarettes one way or another. Often, and this is just me talking here, it almost feels like rubbing salt in the wound. I tend to do far better if I wait for a few hours before checking in

Work on concentrating on ANYTHING else besides that smoke! I spent a whole lot of time shelling beans! Keep busy and diverted from focusing on that smoke-------and you can make it through. It has surprised me that I have made it this far!!!

JonesCarpeDiem

You will begin to have days where you don't think of smoking around 100 days.

If you only focus on not being able to smoke, it's overly difficult.

When you get the thought of smoking simply say "I don't do that anymore" (make sure you say it out loud.)

Most people fail in the 3 months after the first month.

Give yourself time to unlearn smoking.

YoungAtHeart

How about getting right up, putting on your tennies, going for a quick walk (even if around your yard, building), then taking your shower and then some coffee?    Can you change up your routine so it's something pleasant for which to look forward?  I had a frozen Hershey Kiss with my coffee every morning, and that seemed to start my day off right!

I brought my coffee to my computer and started off each morning here.  That works for some, but not all (as I'm reading along this morning!). 

It does take awhile to not think about it - but change your thinking.  I would add to what Dale just said with, "so - what else shall I do to keep my mind off of it?"  Then DO it!

This isn't easy, but it IS doable!  I'm living proof!

Nancy

Giulia

Here's a link to something I wrote in Relapse Traps several years ago that may help:  WHEN DOES IT GET EASY..

Puff-TM-Draggin

It sure ain't day 22, that's for sure!  But that's okay.  I quickly dispell the thought.  I worried how long 'til I could have my next smoke before I realized that was my addiction controlling my life.  Now that I don't smoke anymore there's no point in dwelling on it.

That would be like me waking up each morning thinking, "Oh no, I missed the morning flight to Scottsdale," even though I have no plans to fly to Scottsdale.  Just doesn't make sense!?!

Point being, I still think it, but I just as quickly unthink it!

MarilynH

Congratulations on 11 precious smoke free days and counting WTG Carolyn, you are in the double digit club  ( DDC ) which is fantastic, stay strong and stay close to this site because quitting is absolutely doable and it's definitely worth it. 

Marilyn 

TerrieQuit

Hi Carolyn! You made it to the blogs! That's great It's good to see you here! This is where you will get the most support! Congratulations on 11 DOF!! Keep stacking those days!! I am so proud of you!

Terrie  77  DOF = 11 weeks

jimmypage

I found that for me the best thing was to "fake it till I made it". I'm at just over three weeks and things have gotten so much better the more I tell myself that I'm happy I don't have to get up and smoke instead of allowing myself to miss that first smoke of the day. The major thing that has made this quit so much better than my other attempts has been my mindset so maybe you could try thinking what you want to feel (I'm so happy to be a non smoker) rather than how you actually feel at the moment? Congratulations on 11 days, nearly 2 weeks already, yay!

kristen-9-7-15

I'm on 14 days. I also think about smoking first thing. What I have been doing is setting my alarm like 20 minutes before I have to leave for work.  Just enough time to get ready. Then I don't have time to smoke.