cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

100 Things to do instead of smoke

aztec
78 139 12.9K

There has been a lot of "talk" about what to do when the urge strikes. This is a list of 100 things - you can add your own if you'd like!  I'm thankful to the person who wrote it. Read thru them you may find a thing or 2  that hits you just right!

1. Read a book.
  2. Wash the car.
  3. Wash the dog.
  4. Go for a walk.
  5. Knit a scarf.
  6. Do a crossword puzzle.
  7. Take a nap.
  8. Call a friend.
  9. Post a comment on my page
  10. Play with the cat.
  11. Turn the bathroom into a spa and do all those beauty treatments.
  12. Listen to a relaxation tape or some favorite music.
  13. Go to a store and get a free make-up session.
  14. Give yourself a manicure and pedicure.
  15. Try out a new hair-do
  16. CHEW SOME CLOVES!
  17. Go to the movies.
  18. Hang out at a mall.
  19. Do a jigsaw puzzle online at Jigzone.com
  20. Breathe deeply!
  21. Swig down some ice water.
  22.  Jump on a treadmill or go to a gym.
  23. Give someone you love a huge hug.
  24. Plant some flowers.
  25. Do some exercise - swimming, aerobics, yoga, etc. Great for releasing endorphins (feel good factor) and relieving stress (physical and mental).
  26. Work out how to post a picture in the forum!
  27. Take up a new hobby/interest - channel your thoughts into something constructive and interesting.
  28. Work in the garden.
  29. Retail therapy with the cash you saved from not smoking.
  30. Suck on a piece of TART candy (Jolly Rancher is my personal favorite).
  31. Slather on a rich, creamy hand lotion and rub, rub, rub! It keeps fingers busy, and reminds you how nice it is not to have tobacco stink on them.
  32. Eat a popsicle.
  33. Floss and brush your teeth.
  34. Make-out with your special someone! Hubby hated kissing me when I smoked, but now he LOVES it. Soooo, when the urge strikes and he's within kissing distance, I plant a big one on him!
  35. Chew gum.
  36. Chew a toothpick (shiny teeth).
  37. Spend time with a kid.
  38. Give yourself a treat every day of your quit - not matter how small.
  39. Spend an hour filling the paddling pool in the garden on a gorgeous sunny day, only to find that the kids would rather play on the computer.
  40. Play several games of Internet Scrabble, and hopefully win one!
  41. Walk in an old graveyard with the man you love.
  42. Get your jammies on early, and park yourself in front of your computer for the night.
  43. Build a REAL closet
  44. Hang the sheetrock on said closet.
  45. Do the mudding, taping and sanding on that closet.
  46. Paint the closet.
  47. Add the doors to the closet.
  48. And last...when the real closet is finished, create THE CHOCOLATE CLOSET on this site.
  49. Hang on dearly to a caramel apple sucker.
  50. Sing loudly.
  51. Practice smiling in the mirror (releases endorphins)!
  52. Make lists of pros and cons of smoking.
  53. Find gross smoking disease pictures.
  54. Play with Silly Putty.
  55. Whistle "Don't Worry - Be Happy."
  56. Get a camera, and take some pictures.
  57. Write a letter (you know...on paper).
  58. Clean OUT the closets.
  59. Crank up the radio and sing at the top of your lungs (works great for driving craves).
  60. Crank up the radio and dance like no one is watching.
  61. Make a puzzle.
  62. Organize your boxes of pictures.
  63. Alphabetize your CD rack.
  64. Come here and read and post.
  65. Go to miniclip.com and PLAY GAMES.
  66. Do your nails. Hard to smoke with wet nails. I've tried.
  67. Take a shower.
  68. Take a candle-lit bath.
  69. Clean out a messy drawer.
  70. Take a day trip.
  71. Try making home-made candles or soap.
  72. Run in place.
  73. Do some jumping jacks.
  74. Start a reward fund - put away the amount you spend on smokes every day and use it to treat yourself once in awhile.
  75. Write a poem.
  76. Go antique shopping.
  77. Go plant a flower for every negative thought.
  78. Go to church/talk to God.
  79. Let your husband cook supper for you.
  80. Call your Grandmother!
  81. Paint a room.
  82. Eat a hot fudge sundae.
  83. Go play mini-golf.
  84. Clean the basement or garage.
  85. Wax the car.
  86. Make love with your significant other.
  87.  Scrub the floor.
  88. Treat yourself to a massage.
  89. Chop up some veggies for a stir-fry - keep your hands busy!
  90. Clean out the litter box.
  91. Check your car's tire pressure.
  92. Call a radio show and request a song.
  93. Go ride a few rollercoasters.
  94. Take a walk in nature.
  95. Watch the sun set.
  96. Write a goodbye letter to cigarettes
  97. Donate blood.
  98. Color your hair.
  99. Make a greeting card.
  100. Write a list of things you are grateful for
139 Comments
jojo_2-24-11

I like #7 the best! But I'm up for the rest : )

Junior7

What a great list! 

Jordan-11-1-12

This really is a great list! Thanks Aztec, this is really helpful.

carole19

GREAT list...

My "BEST" friend has been my laptop to learn about my addiction..Keeps my hands busy with commenting  an my mind busy with the knowledge I am learning about myself..

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Love this list! Going to promote it on the Become an EX Twitter account so more people can find it. 🙂

susanjones

i am going to make a blanket for some one for xmas

colette3

Great list! Thanks, for the tips. Definitely helpful! 

mombug
Number 5 is my favorite. Since my quit date of October 1st, I've knit 5 scarves and four sets of boot warmers!! I've never been this productive!! Thanks for this list. It's fantastic
busybri86

Love this list! Thank you 🙂

Christine13

I think this is a fantastic list!!  I like doing word search, crocheting, or reading a newspaper.

Thanks for all the ideas!!

Christine

smeja

Computer work gives me the urge to smoke, but reading doesn't. Go figure. I've read an awful lot of books since I quit.

silverwolf4

Build a model or do one of the hard paint by number sets.

cindy-davis

thank-you for the list

paigeturner2

This is SUCH a fun list! I was going to write one out myself, but looks like I don't need to know! Thank you! 96: write good bye letter to Cigarettes.

Wonderful! What's the address for Phillip Morris company?

Ha!

rutwyler

THINGS TO DO INSTEAD OF SMOKE MAKE A LONG LIST OG THINGS TO DO INSTEAD OF SMOKE LOL

brenda61

* LIKE *

crailey2008

This is a great list it really helps 🙂

jaymaq

Thank You Very inspiring =D

orchid0246

I have done it all. I just need to be stronger.,some how. After I have completed all of your list I then have the cigarette, God help me!

like2live

Very awesome! Great ideas! I smoke a lot while I am on the computer, at my comp. desk... maybe instead of avoiding that and also the community I may take the laptop into the bedroom where I refuse to smoke! Maybe I will spend a few days rearranging furniture and clearing off/ organizing said desk.... maybe..... my quit date coming up soon. Any Christians out there willing to pray for me? I will be praying for all of you too! Glad to find this site, happy to be here!

lisa-denise-ely

Definately praying, Liketolive!  Prayer is a good destration from smoking or just for trying to get thru a craving.  I like to sing too!  When i get a craving, sxometimes i try think of all the different names of God and Jesus in the bible-  by the time i think of all the names the craving is gone!- Lisa, day 32

02awwo

Watching movies works too because you never want to miss what's next. Make a movie day and keep yourself from smoking!

LindaK_Mc

That's a great list, I need to post it on my frig. I don't smoke in the house so I have to go out on the patio.  Not too much fun in the winter but I remember when I lived in MT and worked at the hospital in Butte.  They had this thing that looked like an enclosed bus stop.  But there was about a foot that was unprotected at the floor so the snow and wind would blow in.  We fixed that with cardboard boxes but it would still come in the door.  We would donate coats to the cause and even put gloves in the pockets, they were for the community of smokers.  We would be out there puffing away when it was 30 below and in a blizzard, and of course we had to get 2 smokes in since we had only 3 breaks including lunch.  Of course there were always chances to sneak out for a quick one.  What we won't do for a smoke.  Now down here in TX I sit out there in 100+ temps to smoke. Glad when I don't have to worry about that anymore.

joanne54

I bought a flute...I used to play as a kid and you need alot of air to blow into it. Its also good exercise for the lungs and I really don't remember how to play, but I'm going to blow my brains out trying to do it. Dec. 1st is my quit date and I have bought this for my self to keep me busy. Praying for success.

diagarci2

I am just starting and what a fantastic list! I love the spa day - mani/pedi! What a great idea! Thanks so much!

jojo29

this is one of the greatest blogs :)) excersie yoga 🙂 you have some pretty great things here A:) luv them all , the key is to keep busy 🙂 hope evrything is goood with u . & ur feeling good , thsnks for this list A, gona see if ican print it 🙂 sweet dreams xoxox

mariak

It is the first thing that realy made me feel that I need to give up smoking!!There are so meny things to do when you don't stop for a cigaret!!

staciemoore1969

Thanks for these 100 ways 2 keep busy! I ned as many as I can find & will use as many as possible.

rabbitcity

writing poetry is my favorite, thanks for sharing yur list

jensteff

I love to blow bubbles after meals instead of smoke! Great list, thank you! 

smcmurdo

What a wonderful list!

thebreezeone

Nice!

frankie25
I quit today, and this is a great list. Some great ideas. But there's one I didn't did not see on the list, Decorate Christmas tree, that's what I'm going to do, and then go for a walk. 🙂
Rubytuesdayok

I expect to be online A LOT more than I usually am. (Was. Haven't quit yet.)

Rubytuesdayok

I have a TON of books I've always wanted to read. After surgery I'll have plenty of time!

agresock

I will try doing pushups or crunches. I have to switch my weightloss program from smoking to exercise.

msandshall

I am not sure of what I will do. I want to customize my list to address the trigger specifically. One thing for sure is that I know I can't quit without deliverance so prayer is in order..... pray without ceasing. 

alt.witt

COOLIO!

ShaunMalik

I would be willing to pray for you if you still need it. My name is Ms. Shaun Malik and I am 47 years old. I live in the lower part of Michigan. I was married for 26 years, but now I live alone. God Bless. 

Shaun 

ShaunMalik

I will pray for you if you also pray for me.  My name is Ms. Shaun Malik. I am 47 years old and I live in the lower part of Michigan. I was married for 26 years, but now I live alone. Get back to me with your name so I can start. May God Bless, 

Ms. Shaun Malik 

taraanne

I am grateful to have the hope and willingness to try quitting, the support of my MD, family and friends and quit smoking medication.

Pattyluv

❤ 

Monnie1

I go for walk but I have to take it slow because of my weight and now im starting back to reading to keep me busy 

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Monnie1 wrote:

I go for walk but I have to take it slow because of my weight and now im starting back to reading to keep me busy 

If you keep at it I'm sure you'll see improvement!

Mark
EX Community Manager

Monnie1

Thank you for your support

elvan

Remember that quitting is a one day at a time journey and sometimes we can't go too fast but as long as we are going in the right direction, we are golden.

Ellen

facebook

Yes this is positive and helpful.  I know staying busy will help me be successful this time

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

facebook wrote:

Yes this is positive and helpful.  I know staying busy will help me be successful this time

Glad it's helpful. What's your new quit date?

Mark
EX Community Manager

facebook

Hi Mark thanks for your comments and support when I decided to quit.  I am 84 days quit and going well.  Every once in awhile my mind says just have one, but the withdrawals and difficulties were worse than the so called pleasure that nicotine gave.  

Again thank  you for your support.  How is the health of Larry Old Bones??

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

facebook wrote:

Hi Mark thanks for your comments and support when I decided to quit.  I am 84 days quit and going well.  Every once in awhile my mind says just have one, but the withdrawals and difficulties were worse than the so called pleasure that nicotine gave.  

Again thank  you for your support.  How is the health of Larry Old Bones??

facebook‌ Congrats!

OldBones-Larry‌ is around. I'm sure he can give you an update on how he's doing. You can see his latest posts here.

Mark
EX Community Manager