cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

10 Years ... of Healing, Recovery, Self-Discovery

Ladybug--7-3-12
3 12 325

Ten years ago when I quit smoking I felt like most everyone else does in their beginning. How was I going to not smoke anymore? It punctuated everything I did every day. How could I even think, make decisions, deal with emotions, people, places, things, events, and just plain do life without it. Just the thought of not smoking seemed like Mission Impossible. Forget about thinking of quitting forever. No way!

I recognized though that sometimes we have to tell ourselves, when the anxiety & fear won't go away, to just go ahead and do it anyway. Do it for one last time I told myself. I learned how to fly (read, read, read; educate & prepare yourself), took a leap of faith, and then jumped off the scary cliff & eventually grew my wings strong to remain successful in the smoke free life I chose. It's very doable if you do the work. One hour and then one day at a time at first.

I changed what smoking means to me. It is no longer my "go to" response to anything that happens in my life. If I have a smoking "memory" now (seldom) it's quickly followed with a smile & gratitude as I remember I no longer smoke. (Why go back when I have achieved what I wanted?) A place of peace & serenity awaits you in smobriety. It doesn't happen overnight. Keep going until you arrive here yourself. Trust that it will get easier in time. You are worth a smoke free life.

The longer you entertain what's not for you, the longer you postpone what is for you. Today is always the best day to quit. And, if you are already quit, stay quit. People who wonder if their glass is half empty or half full miss the point. Our glass is always refillable. Perception and what you focus on is a choice so remember to count your blessings before any trials & tribulations. Keep gratitude front & center in your daily life. Still works for me. Happy Trails.

12 Comments
tburton1004

@Ladybug--7-3-12 , how lucky am I to come across your post first thing on this gorgeous Sunday morning? Beautiful words. Just beautiful. I can feel the peace and serenity … thank you so much for sharing. You’ve given us a wonderful gift. I have so much to look forward to in my smobriety!

Best, Terry 48DOF

Barbscloud

@Ladybug--7-3-12 Super congrats on 10 years of success and for sharing your peaceful place with us. . Glad you stopped by to celebrate your achievement.

Barbscloud_0-1656860646825.gif

Happy 4th.

Barb

YoungAtHeart

WOW - seems you quit one day before me!  Glad you came back to celebrate with us and pass on your lessons learned.

CONGRATUATIONS!

Nancy

JACKIE1-25-15

Congrats on 10 years of Freedom.  Good to see you today and celebrate with you.  Miss seeing you around and spreading your wisdom.  Have a great day. Peace to you and yours. 

JACKIE12515_0-1656861594738.jpegAside from protecting your favorite garden plants from aphid damage, ladybugs also pollinate flowers. As they move among flowers, they move pollen and fertilize the flowers so they can produce seeds.

Your wisdom will Keep Producing newbie seeds. 

Snowdoggie

@Ladybug--7-3-12 Thank you for your post. It is touching. Glad you quit. 10 years is an incredible milestone. Congratulations.🎉🎊🎉🎊🎉🎊

Daisy44

@Ladybug--7-3-12  Thank you for sharing your celebration.  It gives me hope and encouragement as today seems to be a little harder.  It’s easier to visualize what not smoking can be when people share what it looks like for them.  Happy Independence Day I’m so many ways’

sweetplt

@Ladybug--7-3-12 Oh how wonderful to see a post from you.  Congratulations on 10 super years Quit…You are as free as a ladybug.  You were/are my biggest inspiration in this quit journey…Thank you for everything when I first came aboard.  My wings have grown and I am flying….

Wishing you the best and a Happy 4th of July…~ xoxoxoxo Colleen 1309 DOF 

pastedImage_1.gif

Ladybug--7-3-12

@tburton1004   Congrats on 50 DOF & counting UP!  Yes, there is much to look forward to in your smobriety.

@Barbscloud   Thank You!  Hope your 4th was a good one.

@YoungAtHeart   Congrats on YOUR 10 Yrs of Freedom!

@JACKIE1-25-15   Thank you for the info tidbit (I love learning!) and the lovely analogy.  Take Care.

@Snowdoggie   Thank You.  We all have the same time ... one day.  It's the only thing that really counts.  Keep it up!

@Daisy44   You're doing great!  Keep your focus ahead.  It's a up & down roller coaster ride for sure in the early days but time & patience gives you more up days than down ones so keep going forward smoke free.  NOPE.

@sweetplt   It's lovely to see you.  Keep soaring high!  Take Care.

Brenda_M

Hey, you! I swung by on Sunday and again on Monday to leave you a message. But I'm, like, never on here anymore, and while I sense this platform is easier than the last one, I still haven't figured out that I should look in this section, too, for milestones!

Big congrats on TEN YEARS! I am so happy I met you and got to know you. LOVE!!!

Ladybug--7-3-12

@Brenda_M   Brenda!  So happy to see you my "Monthly Number" buddy!  The good 'ole days!  How the years have flown on by (we can't be that old can we lol).  Hope you & yours are all happy, healthy & thriving.  I hope you post to shout out YOUR celebration in Sept.  Take Care.

Daisy44

@Ladybug--7-3-12

Read this in your bio and it really resonated with me.  Commitment. Action. Providence. CAP

My commitment to not smoke today, my actions to stay busy when a craving arises and belief in providence. 

Thank you for your support in community.

"Until one is committed there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative or creation there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: That the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would otherwise never have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of incidents and meetings and material assistance which no one would have believed would have come one's way. Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do, begin it. Action has magic, grace, and power in it." W.H. Murray The Scottish Himalaya Expedition

Ladybug--7-3-12

@Daisy44   I'm glad it had something to say to you too.  Thanks for letting me know.  We never know what words or "things" that helped ourselves may also help someone else.  I encourage you to keep reading, learning, & building your strong quit foundation.  You sound like a winner to me!  Keep it up!  

About the Author
My quit is over for me. I no longer have to decide to stay smoke free, or reconsider it each & every day (or month or year). The choice to not smoke was made by me a long time ago, it’s been kept by me for a while, and being smoke free is now my normal way of living. Yes, I took smoking again off the table for me as an option from Day One/Won. Yes, I acknowledge that I will always be physically addicted to nicotine. Yes, I know I can’t have “even” just one or I will put myself at risk of a return to full-fledged smoking again. So what?! I chose to quit smoking. So I did it. I’m quit. The only requirement in order to Stay Quit is that I don’t smoke. As long as I don’t smoke my addiction to nicotine lies dormant. I don’t crave one and if I get a smoking “memory” it passes easily enough for me now (time & patience!) and life goes on smoke free. Smoking is never a solution to anything. It never has been & never will be for anyone. Smoking just adds a new problem to everything else. There will come a time in your smoke free life when you’ll need to just stop quitting & let everything having to do with the old smoking you go. I’ve arrived. I am at peace and so very grateful for my smoke free life. When you get there yourself you will be able to take the training wheels off & just get on with the living of the rest of your life. This is when your “End Journey” becomes the "New Journey" you get to actually design & live out smoke free for yourself. It's doable for everyone regardless of their circumstances or obstacles. It truly is and it's worth every bit of angst it takes to "arrive". Believe in yourself so you can achieve it too. Change what smoking means to you (educate yourself about nicotine addiction!) and then just begin. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Just Begin … "Until one is committed there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative or creation there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: That the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would otherwise never have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of incidents and meetings and material assistance which no one would have believed would have come one's way. Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do, begin it. Action has magic, grace, and power in it." W.H. Murray The Scottish Himalaya Expedition * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Helpful Resources: http://www.whyquit.com (Educate yourself on your nicotine addiction!) http://www.quitsmokingonline.com/course (Helpful for mindset. Free!) https://www.addictionsandrecovery.org/post-acute-withdrawal.htm (It IS an addiction not just a bad habit.) "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" -- Allen Carr (Works for some; find & do whatever it takes for YOU!) * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *