Give and get support around quitting

sandra17

Successful EXers

Finally! I'm an EX 🙂
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
285 Replies
nowamfound

anita, thanks for that reminder. ww sounds like a good ide. Dewey you are right, smoking is a great signal for ending a meal. but I need to stop grazing between meals. suggestions?
0 Kudos
dewey

I put a mirror on my fridge. I go to the fridge, see myself, and take a quick walk around the block. My little block is less time then it takes me to eat a bag of popcorn in front of the tv. I try to brush and floss right away too. then i am less likely to eat desert. it's like music lessons. just keep practicing
0 Kudos
kate8

Hello. I am whisper and I am an ex. I haven't smoked in this will be 4 days. I am loving my smoke free life. I have a wonderful support team and a cigerette box full of straws. I straws are a wonderful cold turkey companion.
0 Kudos
kate8

Wow. I guess no one comes here very often. I just wanted to come and say, working on day 8 today. Hoping I will always be an ex.
0 Kudos
Jeff33

Congratulations, whisper! I haven't smoked since May 20, so I know what you are going through. Nicorette gum is working for me. Keep it up, it's a great thing that you are doing!
0 Kudos
lindamc

Hi whisper. you might get out there and join some good groups with a lot of support, Yes you can, and Candid Quitters, they will get you going for sure. You are going thru the first week and you are doing awesome. We call it "hell week" here. But if you want this as much as you can, you can do it for sure. See you on
  "Yes you Can" get to know some of the people, that helped me, they keep you in the right direction.
0 Kudos
lindamc

Hi Jeff, My quit date is 07/31/08. So we are pretty close by month, you'll make it just think positively, and you are doing great. watch those pitfalls though. They come right out of the blue. I quit two weeks after my mom passed away, of lung cancer. There is a lot of lung cancer in my family. I have been smoking over 40 years, and I hope I haven't done irrepreble (sp?) damage, But I feel and look much better. We really made good decision. Have a great weekend!!!
0 Kudos
lindamc

As we say in a fellowship I belong to, one is too many and a thousand is never enough. And it is so true, and once we go back to smoking it seems like it takes a long time to get back. Just have to have that as not an option, not even a puff.
0 Kudos
ididitsocanu

I started smoking at the age of 10. Sadly I had a habit by the time I was in the 8th grade. Over many years of smoking I achieved a habit of 2 1/2 - 3 packs per day - some days more. Almost everyone in my family smoked. Cigarettes were given as gifts! The handful of relatives that didn't smoke lived well into their late 80's and 90's. Those that did were not so lucky. My mother and her brother at the same time suffered from COPD during early 2001 until they both died in 2005. One day while visiting her during her final years I excused myself to retreat outside to have a cigarette. There it finally came to me. What was I doing? It was at that moment that I knew that I "wanted" to stop smoking. I had tried many times before only to fail. I had tried every product out there. There was a product out at that time called Smoke Away. I decided to give it a try and for me it worked. Did the product make me stop smoking? I don't think so - it helped me - but I know now that I was able to quit because "I wanted to quit" I did the work - not relying on something else to make it happen. I knew then as I know know that I will not and can not ever have another cigarette - not even a puff. I know that if I do I will be right back on them. My EX date is June 12, 2003. I'm living proof that it can be done. It's up to you - you have to make it happen. You will me amazed at the power your addiction to cigarettes had on your mind and how and what you thought. Good luck to everyone about to break the habit!
0 Kudos
lindamc

Thanks for the comment IDIDITSOCANYOU, I have 4 hundred and some odd days. And it is so easy now, well actually it got easier and easier.
0 Kudos