cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Unhealthy and Uncomfortable

Jump to solution

I had a Brain Stem Stroke on Father's Day of this year and didn't smoke for three months. I was craving one and breakdown and bought a pack. Mistake. Not smoking but a pack every couple of weeks. I know how it ends up if I do not quit. Anyone have Ideas?

Labels (1)
4 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

I am so glad that you are recovering, @kommonwealthGC1, i dont have to tell you how serious a stroke can be. It’s understandable that after an event like that you would relapse but you can always get back on track. here are some site resources that might be helpful:

https://www.becomeanex.org/ex-resources/about-quitting/stay-quit/just-one-cant-hurt/

https://www.becomeanex.org/ex-resources/about-quitting/stay-quit/understanding-slip-ups/

You got this!

- Danielle, EX Team

EX Community Admin Team

View solution in original post

MarilynH

Please read everything you can @kommonwealthGC1 because there's a wealth of information right here on this site to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb permanently it's definitely not easy by any stretch of the imagination at times especially in the early stages of our quits BUT it's absolutely doable AND totally worth it to be Free PLUS anything worth having takes time AND effort AND kicking nicotines butt into oblivion is TRULY THE GIFT OF LIFE! 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@kommonwealthGC1 Welcome to the Ex.  It took me 50 years and many attempts to quit.  When I found the Ex, I learned how to quit for the first time.  Buying a pack every few weeks is keeping the addiction going.  Your brain still wants and needs nicotine.   Make the break; you can do it.  Sorry for you health scare, but quitting is the best thing you can do for yourself.

You can win that internal battle by educating yourself about nicotine addiction and putting a plan in place with how you'll deal with cravings, identifying your triggers and creating the new associations you'll create instead of smoking. This comes into play when you're having cravings in the morning. What can you do instead of smoking? Change up your routine. Go for walk, read material on the Ex, if you drink coffee, for example, drink it in a different place, etc. Be creative.

And you just found an amazing group of quitters here to support you on this journey to becoming an Ex. There will be ups and downs, but that is part of the journey. We're here for you, so just reach out anytime we can help or want to share your experience.

This link is a great place to get you started on the right track. https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Consider taking the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time.

Look forward to celebrating on the 12th.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Reverse engineer your mistake! We're human, sometimes we just go the wrong way, but now you are on Ex, a good place to stay. Keep engaged. Make your plan to quit, keep it one day at a time. Yes you can get back to your quit!!!

You have everything you need to quit right inside youYou have everything you need to quit right inside you

7 Replies
champsin97

If your not smoking but a pack every couple of weeks just put them down.  You can do it and itsounds like you have plenty of motivation.  Hang around here and you will reap the rewards  As someone who smoked 40 plus years I can attest.  I am now 1 month smoke free.

biscuit9

Junkie thinking.  I can have just ONE....it's the holidays....all the family is together.....I really like smoking.....smoking relaxes me so much....hey, at least I cut back.

I actually googled about your health scare and if it is ok to smoke afterwards.  You survived a serious stroke, by the grace of God.  You may not be so lucky next time.  I know exactly what I would tell a loved one, in your situation.  

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

I am so glad that you are recovering, @kommonwealthGC1, i dont have to tell you how serious a stroke can be. It’s understandable that after an event like that you would relapse but you can always get back on track. here are some site resources that might be helpful:

https://www.becomeanex.org/ex-resources/about-quitting/stay-quit/just-one-cant-hurt/

https://www.becomeanex.org/ex-resources/about-quitting/stay-quit/understanding-slip-ups/

You got this!

- Danielle, EX Team

EX Community Admin Team
MarilynH

Please read everything you can @kommonwealthGC1 because there's a wealth of information right here on this site to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb permanently it's definitely not easy by any stretch of the imagination at times especially in the early stages of our quits BUT it's absolutely doable AND totally worth it to be Free PLUS anything worth having takes time AND effort AND kicking nicotines butt into oblivion is TRULY THE GIFT OF LIFE! 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@kommonwealthGC1 Welcome to the Ex.  It took me 50 years and many attempts to quit.  When I found the Ex, I learned how to quit for the first time.  Buying a pack every few weeks is keeping the addiction going.  Your brain still wants and needs nicotine.   Make the break; you can do it.  Sorry for you health scare, but quitting is the best thing you can do for yourself.

You can win that internal battle by educating yourself about nicotine addiction and putting a plan in place with how you'll deal with cravings, identifying your triggers and creating the new associations you'll create instead of smoking. This comes into play when you're having cravings in the morning. What can you do instead of smoking? Change up your routine. Go for walk, read material on the Ex, if you drink coffee, for example, drink it in a different place, etc. Be creative.

And you just found an amazing group of quitters here to support you on this journey to becoming an Ex. There will be ups and downs, but that is part of the journey. We're here for you, so just reach out anytime we can help or want to share your experience.

This link is a great place to get you started on the right track. https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Consider taking the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time.

Look forward to celebrating on the 12th.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

0 Kudos

Thanks so much. Have a great weekend.

maryfreecig

Reverse engineer your mistake! We're human, sometimes we just go the wrong way, but now you are on Ex, a good place to stay. Keep engaged. Make your plan to quit, keep it one day at a time. Yes you can get back to your quit!!!

You have everything you need to quit right inside youYou have everything you need to quit right inside you