cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

rebecca68

Started Young

I started when I was about 14 (occassionally at first of course) but regular by the time Iwas16.   I smoked 47 + yrs. I quit for a whole year in 2010. I had some major stressors in 2011 and relapsed. So now I am smokefree 4 weeks, 1 day, 0 hours and 38 mins.

Iam having a hard time today.  I'm told this is a dangerous time in a quit.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
34 Replies
SarahP

Hi everyone -- welcome to Ex!  Please feel free to join the main community by clicking on the "Blogs" tab, next to the "Groups" tab at the top of this page. This is where you will find the most well-rounded support for your quit, including new quitters, experienced quitters, and everyone in between. Including a lot of folks who smoked for 30 years or more!  If you haven’t already done so, please write a blog there introducing yourself and telling us your story! 

0 Kudos

It's great to read stories of people who have smoked as long as I have and struggled with this addiction.  I started off/on when I was 13 and regularly since I was 16 or so.  I'm now 53 and ready to quit.  My date is Aug. 31st.  Beginning today, I'm already changing  some routines and adding yoga and breathing exercises.  Smoking and lung cancer run in my family so how stupid am I for smoking all these years?  With the help of Ex and all of you, I am determined to be smoke free using the patch.  Best to all of you.  Encouragement and support are much appreciated. 

0 Kudos

started when i was 15ish...i'm 31 now.....i don't know how to live without cigs! seriously....

0 Kudos
nocksis

I started smoking at age 11, biggest mistake of my life it's now been well over 35 yrs. and I am more determined now than I have ever been in my life, I am truly tired. My quit date is 09/10/13, I will survive!
0 Kudos
kahooch5

I have made my quit day 9/3/13 and I will use Chantix.  Have smoke since I was old enough to light them on the stove for my mother.  Always stopped when I was pregnant and would start back after a few weeks of delivery.  I have 3 kids, all grown now.  Now my grandchildren 2 and 3 are watching me and I hate this.  Also due to medical reason the doctor told me I need to stop.  I am going to do it this time forever!!!  So glad there is a site like this that I can just get all my thoughts and concerns out without being judged or told how I should do it.  Friends try to help but our ideas are different.  Best of luck to everyone.

0 Kudos
toya2013

I can not remember a day in my past where I did not smoke cigs. I think that I started around 14 and haven't stopped. I am overcoming them now. I still smoke a short evey now and then. I need to get into the habit of not smoking at all. I know I can do it and I will do it no doubt about it. I WILL OVERCOME CIGS!!!

0 Kudos
Aprildancer

I started smoking 40 years ago.  I was, as a kid and am now, a closet smoker.  I don't think I ever smoked more than 10 to 12 a day but I eagerly anticipated those times where I could get away and have a cigarette. The only times I didn't smoke were during my first two pregnancies.  I actually smoked a bit during my third.  I never otherwise tried any kind of quit.  I spent my entire life manipulating circumstances so there would be times and places where I could sneak away and feed my habit.  My husband is a smoker, too, but he smokes any time and any where.  I could never do that so I would have to plan for it.  I regret deeply spending my energy and focus on such a stupid thing for almost my entire life.

I quit 4 days ago.  I'm pracising my distractions and just downloaded the Alan Carr book.  (Reading is one of my distractions.)  I want to move on so badly.  I just want to live my life in a new found non-smoking freedom and not be wrestling with these cravings and trying to come up with distractions and alternative behaviors. 

For long time quitters, does this actually happen?

April Dancer

0 Kudos
dalichild

I started smoking when I was 15 and am now 32.  I stopped smoking for a few months right before my daughter was born and then for about 6 weeks last summer but this is my forever quit.  N.O.P.E

0 Kudos
sherry102

Somebody Please HELP ME to QUIT Smoking , having a really hard time , can't even get through one day without smoking ........HELP 

0 Kudos
wanda-j-56

I started smoking 43 years ago when I was in junior high school in the girls room with the big girls. I wanted to be what I thought was grown up that was the beginning of the biggest mistakes of my life. Ive tried so hard to quit several times in the past and now its like a joke when I say Im quitting for good this time.  Its been 5 days since I quit smoking and I want to be taken seriously.

0 Kudos