cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

dawn3

Started really young, now I dont know how to stop...

Hey, I started smoking at 12, my aunt offered me one and I took it. Then it was me and my friend stealing smokes from my step father, her mother and finding a place to smoke. Never was I questioned about the smell, I think no one ever noticed... Strange, I think I would have. Anyway, my kids are now both older than I was when I started... I am officially worried about them. Good news is, they both hate my habit.

Now I am almost 40, still puffing away. I get obviously defensive when my kids mention my smoking, "mom, you've been saying for years that you were going to quit...", or "mom, you could keep all of my Christmas gifts, if you would just quit. I don't want you to die young." And those damn TV commercials with the "facts" about smoking, and High School Health classes... "mom, did you know that cigarettes have MORE CHEMICALS IN THEM THAN A LANDFILL?"

Well, they are all right. I am wrong... I preach about drug use... I dont have a cough yet, but when I develop one, I know it will be too late... damage will exsist (yes, I know... it already does). I HAVE to quit. I have to find it within myself for ME, and them. How can these things be legal?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
perplexiti

My daughter preaches to me constantly about how bad smoking is. My husband does too but he's annoying , she's cute! I hope when she sees me quit and sees how hard it is it will be another deterant for her starting. My husband is the one who makes me get grumpy with his comments because he has never smoked and has no idea how hard it really is to stop.

I started smoking when i was very young too(older brother). I quit once for a year and have been smoking again for about 2 years. I found that as silly as it sounds just stopping and taking a few deep breaths helped curb cravings. Of course i also sprained the muscle in my jaw chewing the heck out of some chewing gum lol. I want to quit for my kids and for my family but i know it has to be my choice and i have to stick to it but its so hard and looking at my quit date coming up is making me nervous. I've done it before and i can again and you can too.

0 Kudos