cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

bls0791

Restarting?

Hello all. Today would have been 11 days without cigarettes. 

I was feeling g really badly about myself and my life in general. And I thought, who the heck cares if I smoke again? So I bought a pack. And I had 2 cigarettes. Tasted gross. And I'm angry that I can't even enjoy smoking now. Into the trashcan they went. 

Do I technically have to start back from day one? The answer seems like an obvious yes. But I feel like if I have to restart my quit date I'll just give up. 

Labels (2)
8 Replies
champsin97

I don't think you have to start over especially sine you only smoked 2 and threw them away.  You made it through some very hard days in that first 11.  People slip up.  It happens but you are back on your quit.  Just learn from it and keep on fighting.

Barbscloud

@bls0791 Congrats on 10 day of success.   Starting over is a personal decision.  But to me there is a difference between a slip and a relapse.  If you learned from your mistake, then it's a lesson well learn.  Remember to lean on the Ex.  Reach out before you smoke, not after,  It saved my quit early on several times.  

Slip (lapse) vs Relapse - EX Community

Do not feel bad about yourself.  You're battling a strong addiction.  You can't succeed without trying, so don't give up.  It took me many attempts and 50 years to finally get it right.  When I found the Ex I learned how to quit for the first time.

If you haven't done so already, read lot so material on the site to learn about nicotine addiction and having a plan in place for the ups and downs of quitting.  This link has some great information to support your quit.https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

And be sure to join many of us on the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

biscuit9

I would call that a slip, especially if you don't do it again.  Others may disagree.  On my quit day 7, I broke down and found my hated vape pen (I smoked cigs) that I hadn't used in a long time.  The thing actually worked and I did take a few puffs.  Meant and felt nothing from it, except for the severe disappointment in myself.  For a few seconds I felt like everything was lost and I was a complete failure.  THEN, I picked myself up and decided that a moment, out of 7 whole days, would NOT define me.  I didn't restart my countdate, because I never, ever did that again and I'm over 500 days quit. PLEASE don't stop quitting.  Understand that you got something out of that moment, you reinforced to yourself how much you hate nicotine.  Keep your quit.

ReallyReal

Hi @bls0791 .  Anything that is going to lead you to get feeling so defeated that you lose your commitment to stay quit is really not good.  I'd say a slip is not a fail and you got right back to your quit so I would keep my quit date.  It is really your choice and I would just encourage you to stand firm in your decision to be free from nicotine.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @bls0791, just want to reiterate what others have said here. A slip doesn't have to define you; especially since you've recommitted to your quit. Give yourself grace and keep pushing forward!

Here are some resources that might be helpful as well:

https://www.becomeanex.org/ex-resources/about-quitting/stay-quit/how-to-recover-from-a-slip-or-relap...

https://www.becomeanex.org/ex-resources/about-quitting/stay-quit/understanding-slip-ups/

- Danielle, EX Team

EX Community Admin Team
McMoney

Every step in your journey should teach you something. Feeling like you don't matter contributed to your choice to smoke. Recognize that as the deceitfulness of addiction embedded in your brain. YOU DO MATTER.  Put your needs above the needs of the addiction. 💛🌞

- Meriah
maryfreecig

I prefer to think of quitting as one day at a time. Let the journey unfold. If you don't want to change your date for whatever reason, then set the question aside and keep your quit in today. More important is that you hit a low point and felt you had no or few options other than to smoke. And yet, you couldn't stand the experience, you threw the pack away after a few cigarettes, you returned here to find a little help and encouragement so that you can keep making your quit work. That is all positive stuff. Ex is not a club where you have to measure up to something, it's come as you are. The other thing about one day at a time is that it works for all of our troubles/stuff. My suggestion to you is to avoid loading up your plate with too many things--quitting is enough and takes a lot of energy. But it gets so much easier.

Thanks for trusting Ex with your experience.

7E33126C-E59E-41D1-B30F-51EBB5E71EF4.gif323904809_1208377589770425_5267243791019261933_n.jpgb0e21fe073dcb50923b019cf8ee518b2.jpg

Barbscloud

@bls0791 Best wishes on your quit.

Barb

0 Kudos