cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

cathy3

Quitting tomorrow

Hi all,

I'm planning to quit tomorrow. Got 2 cigarettes left, but have been tapering off the last couple of days. Ready to stop smoking I think and definitely know I'm tired of paying out so much money for them.

My one main problem is that I live with two smokers, so I have to quit smoking with smoking around me, anyone else had to deal with this? And what do you do to make it easier?
0 Kudos
8 Replies
jenn-c

My quit date is tomorrow. My hubby smokes cigars but not in the house. I am not sure how I am going to handle this but I am determined not to smoke anymore. I will let you know tomorrow how it goes because the guys are coming to my house for "cigar night".
0 Kudos
cathy3

How did you do Jenn? Hopefully you made it through the first and hardest day. Personally, i would find cigar smoke easy enough to avoid or not make me want a cigarette. LOL
0 Kudos
rj_

Hey,
congrats on the best decision you will ever make for yourself. the key here is you!!! It is not impossible to be around a smoker and quit, I had a long pause 2 yr 8 mos in 2000, during most of that my wife smoked, I was away from it the first week out of town, and when I got back it was not too difficult to stick it out,

Then two years and 8 mos later started back and took another 4 yrs, to get back to the quit, this time tomorrow will be two years free,
Just Know in your mind...72 hours free and all nicotine is out of your blood... after that it is all head games...drink lots of cranvberry juice or orange juice, the acid helps flush the nicotine out of the blood. keep your blood sugar level by eating a little something every couple hours.

keep in mind caffene will be multiplied in effect so watch the intake or you will end up buzzin on caffeene which makes you seem even in more nicotine withdrawl...

check out whyquit.com for lots of good tips,

Best to ya, ...RJ Free at Last...2 yrs tomorrow after 32+ of killing myself to the tune of 2 packs or more aday
0 Kudos
cathy3

Congrats to you for two years smoke free. That's an incredible accomplishment. Over the past week, I haven't quit but I have cut down considerably and yesterday when I bought a pack, it just made me sick what they cost now with a new tax and the stores upping their price in addition to the tax. This is the last pack I'm buying. I think I'm truly in the right mindset to let them go.
0 Kudos
rj_

Yea cost had a lot to encourage this quit at first, when I started buying the cheapest generics I could find no matter the taste just to feed the addiction it finally made me realize just how strong the addiction was.
I was smoking two packs of the crapiest tasting cigarettes I could buy just to get the fix...discusting....if you have not checked it out yet go to whyquit and do some reading on their site, Great Education materials, ....RJ
0 Kudos

Cathy,

How is it going with your living situation? I'm in the process of picking a quit date. I'm thinking 10/6 and was wondering if you found any tactics for handling the smoking roommates. I live with a smoker too. We don't smoke in the house, but still it is hard to see the smokes and ashtrays. I'm thinking of asking her to hide them! Out of sight, out of mind, right?
0 Kudos
cathy3

My sister actually smokes the cheapiest and crappiest cigarettes possible, and I have smoked hers in a pinch, but Gawd! they just about rip the lungs right out of you. But I'll still smoke them if that's all that's around. LOL

Yes I did check out that site and they did have some good advise. I didn't realize that things like OJ and other juices could actually help fight the cravings. Good to know, and healthier too than a can of pop.
0 Kudos
cathy3

No, sorry to say I haven't really found any tactics. We do smoke in the house and though my boyfriend tries to at least smoke less around me, my sister is not cooperative at all and I swear she smokes more when I'm trying to quit. It is hard to see that pack of cigarettes just lying there and not pick one up, even if as I said above, they are godawful horrid things.

I hope you can do it on 10/6. Maybe in your case you could at least ask your roommate to keep the cigarettes and ashtray out of sight somehow, or keep them in the mailbox or somewhere outside?
0 Kudos