cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jr_2

New and in need..

Hi all, i am new to the site and am in need of friends here to offer support. you see, i am a "closet smoker" so i have no personal support system in my life because no one knows i even smoke (literally - not my brothers. family, even my fiance') i spend more time smoking than you might think since i have my own apartment and live alone. i am hoping this site will offer the support that i know will be necessary for me to quit. anyone who reads this: i'd love to hear from you and will be a part of your support system as well. i know we could all use the help. hope to hear from some of you soon. GOOD LUCK, DON'T GIVE UP, YOU ARE NOT ALONE!
0 Kudos
10 Replies
hothula

aloha jr, join the closet smokers group. lots of closet smokers. you will have support here, post to me anytime and go to our group too smoke freedom by kozmik burd. no worries you will do it
0 Kudos
dian

Yep, I know how it is, I didn't smoke in the closet per say but I did limit my smoking around people and tried not to smoke around any of my kid's friends and their parent.......
3 weeks today......... so you are not alone!!! I'm a new non-smoker....... it's tough but you are tougher besides, you think people don't know you smoke?? Believe me, the things I did before going to church so I wouldn't smell like smoke, people know or it goes through their minds.......... quit now, we will help and they need never know........

I have been quit for 2 Weeks, 6 Days, 10 hours, 27 minutes and 41 seconds (20 days). I have saved $49.85 by not smoking 326 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 3 hours and 10 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 5/7/2008 12:01 PM
0 Kudos
manofsteele

Reach out and touch somebodies hand .... lets try to make this a better place if we can

Hey JR..... sorry thought someone shot you..... but glad you were in the closet

Come on out and get free. We will try our best to help you at our groups below if you want to try us out. We have many supporters with very strong multi-year smoke free journey's that you might be able to learn from here on EX.

http://community.becomeanex.org/group/dailypledge

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Daily Pledge - Quit Party Central - Relapse Traps
Game Room Quit Reasons - Thanks and Praise
Tough Luv - Words of Wisdom - Find a Quit Buddy
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Great Reading - http://www.tobacco-facts.info/
For a Free Quit Keeper - http://dedicateddesigns.com/qk/

YOU CAN DO IT ... we can help .....just ask ! 5.4 Million die due to smoking related causes every year. That's 2000 times a 9/11

Ray Steele
0 Kudos
cindy25

I have been a closet smoker for years! It is really tough for a variety of different reasons. Post often and you will get support. You can do this. You will feel so much better once the burden of hiding is over. It feels so much better!!
I have been quit for 2 Weeks, 2 Days, 5 hours, 46 minutes and 49 seconds (16 days). I have saved $56.83 by not smoking 162 cigarettes. I have saved 13 hours and 30 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 5/11/2008 5:13 PM
0 Kudos
cindy25

I have been a closet smoker for years! It is really tough for a variety of different reasons. Post often and you will get support. You can do this. You will feel so much better once the burden of hiding is over. It feels so much better!!
I have been quit for 2 Weeks, 2 Days, 5 hours, 46 minutes and 49 seconds (16 days). I have saved $56.83 by not smoking 162 cigarettes. I have saved 13 hours and 30 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 5/11/2008 5:13 PM
0 Kudos
martha5

Until last year, I never believed that none smokers could tell I was a smoker even if i wasn't smoking. April 15 I quit cold turkey. It lasted for 3 months. I had a major friek out day on july 15 and started smoking again. I went to my Dr. for help. Her nurse came out to get me. As we were walking down the hall to the examing room, the nurse said I thought you had quit smoking. I said I did for 3 months but how did u know I started again. She said she could smell it. My daughter said her co-workers complained that they could smell my smoke on her clothes. So I'm betting your family, friends, and fiance know you smoke. Even if you bathe, wash your hair, and use perfume they can still smell the lingering smoke in your clothes. If they visit your apartment, they can smell it even if you didn't smoke at all the day they came to visit. So if you 'fess up to them, u might be surprised to learn that they know and are ready to support your dicision to quit. Of course I could be wrong so don't take my advice. Good luck.
0 Kudos
Jaded

JR, if quitting is indeed what you want you can achieve it. Just remember quitting isn't something you are doing TO you but FOR you!!
Lots of luck!! 😃
0 Kudos
jupiter

Welcome and good luck to you, JR! If you reach out here and ask anyone, you'll find the support that can help you tons! It's a tough situation to be in as a closet smoker, but if you need help, there's always someone around here who can lend a hand and an ear! You can do this for sure!
0 Kudos
kimoe

Hi, I'm in the same boat, only my husband knows and he's trying to quit too. We have been bickering ever since we quit a week ago. It's very hard and I'm fighting the urge right now to just step outside and have one. URGH. I jumped on here instead and am trying to fight it. One thing that usually works for me is to go to Whyquit.com and look at the stories on the top left hand side. The one man was my age, with a small child , the same age as mine and died from lung cancer. The look of him and his story and seeing his wife and child who resembles my own helps to snap me back to reality usually. It doesn't make the craving go away physically but it reminds me of why I want to quit. You can try the horror story approach, sometimes that helps me. It doesn't help my husband at all though. He's being very stubborn and miserable and not much support to me whatsoever. So I understand where you're coming from!!!
0 Kudos